Old West Mafia game thread

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

MattShizzle

Old West Mafia game thread

Post by MattShizzle » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:20 pm

Seems a few outlaws are hidin' out in town. Better get rid of em before they take over. Elect a Sheriff and pick someone to lynch. Nightfall is 10am EDT tomorrow.

1. Feck
2. ksen
3. irretating
4. Zigmen
5. MagicZiggy
6. Mantisdreamz
7. Gonzo
8. gibby
9. dp
10.r.c
11. Uselesstwit
12. Jerome

Zigmen

Re: Old West Mafia Day 1

Post by Zigmen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:52 pm

@@Vote UT@@

I think was still "new" west mafia when i signed up . . .
~Three of a Perfect Pair~

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:12 pm

@@Vote Irre @@
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Oh what ! no floods of people just checkingin or bookmarkin ..

Zigmen

Post by Zigmen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:19 pm

Feck wrote:Oh what ! no floods of people just checkingin or bookmarkin ..
I think there's gonna be plenty of people who honestly forgot to check to see if the game even started.

We could play Mafia for two.

You game?

r.c

Post by r.c » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:03 pm

@@vote irre@@

I guess we are looking at three scum members. Should be an interesting game with just 12 players.

Zigmen

Post by Zigmen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:12 pm

r.c wrote:@@vote irre@@

I guess we are looking at three scum members. Should be an interesting game with just 12 players.
3 would be very high. 2 would be very low. 3 would seem more likely, though.

I expect specials to be designed to offset the balance whichever way the design runs.

If there's 3 Scum, we probably have a Seer, a Doc, and a Blocker at minimum.

And, if the game is this small and that heavy with specials, this is one of the rare instances that a day1 mass claim might be an advantage. We certainly shouldn't avoid discussing it.

r.c

Post by r.c » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Zigmen wrote:

I expect specials to be designed to offset the balance whichever way the design runs.

And, if the game is this small and that heavy with specials, this is one of the rare instances that a day1 mass claim might be an advantage. We certainly shouldn't avoid discussing it.
I don't know. I'm vehemently opposed to the idea of mass outing. Scum could easily find a safe claim. The only time mass outing worked was in Gonzo's hitman game. But that was only because the game was designed in such a fashion.

Gonzo
For Sheriff

Post by Gonzo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Hey guys.

Zigmen - a mass claim, really? :ddpan:
Don't go near that elevator - that's just what they want us to do... trap us in a steel box and take us down to the basement.

Zigmen

Post by Zigmen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:31 pm

r.c wrote:
Zigmen wrote:

I don't know. I'm vehemently opposed to the idea of mass outing. Scum could easily find a safe claim. The only time mass outing worked was in Gonzo's hitman game. But that was only because the game was designed in such a fashion.
That's not true at all. Mass claims work all the time, but are essentially reserved for endgames.

All I'm saying is that we could treat this game like one big endgame.

If we could clear 3 players right off the bat, it would take Scum 3 nights to kill them all, which they would probably fail at if our Doc is not an idiot. Or, scum could play it safe and kill Vanillas, which just makes our job even easier. This game isn't going to run more than a few days anyway, right?

The only reason I'm bringing this up is because of the exact amount of players we have, which is 12.

Rule of thumb puts 2 Scum in a 9 player game, and 3 Scum in a 14 player game (In my book, anyway).

12 is right down the middle. Shizz could either give Scum 2 very powerful players and a hamstrung Town, or 3 Scum and a special-heavy Town.

And this is Shizz we're talking about. Hed go 3 Scum and lotsa specials for Town.

The math actually supports the idea of a claim today, or tomorrow at the latest.

Uselesstwit

Post by Uselesstwit » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:31 pm

@@vote irre@@

The mass claim is a bad idea zig, with a likely maximum of three specials that would leave us with 9 people to sort thru and most probably 4 or fewer days to do it in. Giving scum a day 1 list of specials in a game that's going to be this quick and dirty doesn't seem right.
irretating wrote:you're a genius, UT!

Zigmen

Post by Zigmen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Gonzo wrote:Hey guys.

Zigmen - a mass claim, really? :ddpan:
I'm saying we should discuss it. The math supports the idea in this very rare instance of a 12 player game.

Do you think we shouldn't even discuss it?

Feck

Post by Feck » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Well as we have a new GM I think deciding on what, how many and what type of Scum and specials are in the game is a little presumptuous .

To be honest ..I think It's a little scummy .. And Do not start with the Mass claim Bullshit on day one ..Look Push for the mass claim when I'm scum or even an indie but NOT now .. It works if there are Dumb scum and town get their claims in first IF this is a standard game for 12 like you propose a mass out would kill the game in 3 days and all but the most inexperienced scum team would win .

Oh but go on since you think a mass out is a wonderful plan I'm the Seer !

++++++ vote zigmen +++++++++

Zigmen

Post by Zigmen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:36 pm

Uselesstwit wrote:@@vote irre@@

The mass claim is a bad idea zig, with a likely maximum of three specials that would leave us with 9 people to sort thru and most probably 4 or fewer days to do it in. Giving scum a day 1 list of specials in a game that's going to be this quick and dirty doesn't seem right.
It would clear a full 25% of the players, give us the opportunity to catch bullshit claimers, and give the Doc a chance to protect the right people each night.

And, like you said, the game will run maybe 4 days. Scum will have a lowered chance of hitting any specials if our Doc is slick, and they could miss kills every night trying to hit protected players.

I do see what you're saying, but it sounds to me like you're pishposhing the idea without really looking at the numbers.

Zigmen

Post by Zigmen » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:39 pm

Feck wrote:Well as we have a new GM I think deciding on what, how many and what type of Scum and specials are in the game is a little presumptuous .

To be honest ..I think It's a little scummy .. And Do not start with the Mass claim Bullshit on day one ..Look Push for the mass claim when I'm scum or even an indie but NOT now .. It works if there are Dumb scum and town get their claims in first IF this is a standard game for 12 like you propose a mass out would kill the game in 3 days and all but the most inexperienced scum team would win .

Oh but go on since you think a mass out is a wonderful plan I'm the Seer !

++++++ vote zigmen +++++++++
Shizz is by no means a "new" GM. He's been GMing at TR as long as I've been playing. I have some experience as well, and know how to balance a game, as does he.

And if I'm so Scummy, why would you out?