Reservoir Dogs Mafia Game thread

Mafia Forum is visible to guests. Please note that game threads are limited to posts by players who are involved in each game. Non-player or derail posts will be moved to a gallery thread.

Moderator: Mafia Mods

Mantisdreamz

Re: Reservoir Dogs Mafia - Post Game

Post by Mantisdreamz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:18 am

^ :cheers: ^
irretating wrote:Zig is a failure of his success at BS'ing when he's scum, I'm afraid. I've no sympathy for him at all *sniff*. But why I can't make it to endgame any more, well that is outrageously unfair :lay:
I think what happens is that, if you've played with the same people and have tricked them as scum before, then they will be extra cautious. So even if you are town, there will be an even higher level of suspicion on you by others. Or it could also be, that after so many games, you unconsciously present the same arguments or voting habits when you are scum.. and the same people you play with, well eventually pick this up. In the recent TR game - I was still suspicious of you because I know that you can pull off a good scum game. So there's always that uncertainty, that you're just pulling a fast one. It's hard, when town, not to flail around when you see yourself being lynched. In the TR game, it was ksen who didn't bother flailing around, because he said so himself: "right now I'm going to be seen through a confirmation bias".... so, all in all, there aren't that many options! You stay silent, and you look guilty... or you speak up, and you still look guilty! There's no real solution to that.. only thing you can do is just post what a summary of what you think, so that it could maybe be used afterwards.

irretating
not too sweet to sledge

Post by irretating » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:07 am

I know... I await the outcome of that game with interest O.o

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:20 am

I've used 'auger' in the wrong context, there ... Incomplete alteration of expressing a point, dammirt Image
no fences

Linus

Post by Linus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:23 am

Time for some whining:

4 vanilla out of 14 is just way too little. The fact that a majority of the town players were able to make sincere special claims matters at least as much as the usefulness of their night actions. For example, Charlou's 1-time vig thing was powerful not because she could kill someone but because she had the power to clear/semi-clear herself by claiming her kill (the lack of counterclaim would be evidence in her favor). With only 4 vanilla, the game becomes dominated by aspects surrounding the specials. I think the low number of posts/game day and uneven lynch votes are a good indication of this.

I've only played scum three times and each time the GM masturbation has been completely unrestrained :( Cockrell's election Mafia was a crazy faction game with lots of masons and only 2 vanilla, Oblivion's Darkover game had 3 out of 17 vanilla, and this game had 4 out of 14.

I'm not whining about this mainly because my side lost, nor because I think my side would've won a game with a reasonable vanilla fraction; I had similar comments after the Elfquest game where I was town. I really wish the GMs would not make their games all about specials. In the future, I think I will only sign up for Teethlx2 and th1nk3r games, since they seem to be the only GMs that are able to restrain themselves when they decide the number of specials.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:40 am

Each to their own, but while I really like (as distinct from prefer) predominently vanilla games too, for the reasons someone gave earlier ... was it you, Linus? ... I also like variety, and playing games with the emphasis on specials is also fun ... gritty and challenging in a different way. I also think it's good to allow for GM experimentation with game balance, etc, so they get enjoyment and experience from the whole thing too.
no fences

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:51 am

I owned this game.

Sayin' is all Image
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Linus

Post by Linus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:53 am

Animavore wrote:I owned this game.
You did very well as a bus driver.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:56 am

I'm like Sandra Bullock 'n' shit.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:09 am

Animavore wrote:I owned this game.

Sayin' is all Image
:mrgreen: You done good. :cheers: :cuddle:
no fences

Linus

Post by Linus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:12 am

charlou wrote:Each to their own, but while I really like (as distinct from prefer) predominently vanilla games too, for the reasons someone gave earlier ... was it you, Linus? ... I also like variety, and playing games with the emphasis on specials is also fun ... gritty and challenging in a different way. I also think it's good to allow for GM experimentation with game balance, etc, so they get enjoyment and experience from the whole thing too.
IMO, it could possibly be nice as a rare exception but games with too many specials seem to be the norm. Maybe I'm unfairly overlooking some GMs since I haven't played or read all recent games, but it seems to me that everyone except 2 GMs are unable to control the GM urge to put in lots of twists and specials.

One thought experiment I've seen several others propose as a test of game balance, and which I agree with, is to imagine what would happen if all specials role claimed on day 1. If this is a likely town win, the game is poorly designed. In my estimation, having all 6 specials in this game claim on day 1 would have been very good for town (possibly not optimal but still very good). Most games with lots of specials will fail this game balance test.

Linus

Post by Linus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:39 am

Animavore wrote:I'm like Sandra Bullock 'n' shit.
An undercover police entering a beauty contest?

Seriously, though, I enjoyed the fact that you tried to swapped praying and Athene---I thought it was creative and if you hadn't been blocked it would have verified both yours and Aza's role claims.

Adenosine

Post by Adenosine » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:43 am

Full marks Ani. Brilliant play. :clap:
Ignore me, I'm just here for the Mafia.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:52 am

Goading scum was fun.

They deserved it, though.

Linus

Post by Linus » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:26 am

Animavore wrote:Goading scum was fun.

They deserved it, though.
Just so this doesn't go to your head, it should also be said that Feck targeting himself was absolutely awesome :)

Gonzo
For Sheriff

Post by Gonzo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:33 am

charlou wrote:Where were the diamonds in the end?
Ani had them at ENDGAME.
irretating wrote:
Feck wrote:
Mantisdreamz wrote:Feck, what do you mean the player order?
List the players on day one ...now who was a town special who were the scum ?
Yes, gonzo, how was it that scum were all listed in a clump? Just a fluke?
Yeah I randomized the list of names and match it up to the list of roles, then I alphabetized it.
Don't go near that elevator - that's just what they want us to do... trap us in a steel box and take us down to the basement.