I need something like K'NEX but better

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Jason
Destroyer of words

I need something like K'NEX but better

Post by Jason » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:10 am

I'm looking for something kind of like K'NEX but with servomotors, potentiometers, and stuff. Like a small scale robotics parts box. I used to have one as a kid, it was mostly stamped steel I think. An array of different sensors and stuff would be awesome too. Does anyone here know of a good place to order things like that? I'm looking for something expandable (so you're not stuck building a roomba or something) and inexpensive.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Re: I need something like K'NEX but better

Post by Azathoth » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:18 am

Legotechnicholding together all the bits you need seems to be popular

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:37 am

Does the helicopter there actually fly? 0_o It would be awesome to slip a microcontroller in there with a full sensor suite and have my own 'ai' drone.

I remember what it was [absent minded]: Meccano. I found a couple shops in the UK that sell bulk parts. I'm planning on having some fun with my Arduino Yun while I'm learning my way around it and Meccano is perfect for prototyping custom projects.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:30 am

Făkünamę wrote:Does the helicopter there actually fly? 0_o It would be awesome to slip a microcontroller in there with a full sensor suite and have my own 'ai' drone.

I remember what it was [absent minded]: Meccano. I found a couple shops in the UK that sell bulk parts. I'm planning on having some fun with my Arduino Yun while I'm learning my way around it and Meccano is perfect for prototyping custom projects.
I used to love building things with Meccano when I was a lad. They had these great clockwork motors, quite powerful they were...

...Jim drifts down memory lane...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:05 am

A mate of mine is into a meccano in a big way. He gets a lot of it off ebay now second hand.

What's a K'NEX, by the way?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:10 am

It's a plastic version, but pretty limited in what you can do with it. Not great for hobbyists.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:32 am

Făkünamę wrote:It's a plastic version, but pretty limited in what you can do with it. Not great for hobbyists.
It's good to teach construction skills to kids, but not particularly strong.
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:56 am

Lego Mindstorms is pretty decent, though quite expensive. You can get a bunch of different sensors and the parts are compatible with some of Lego's other ranges. A few years ago we built a "tank" that included a self-reloading cannon by combining some Bionicle parts with the standard Mindstorms stuff.