Why would I want to install Linux?

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Re: Why would I want to install Linux?

Post by mistermack » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:29 pm

I don't see the point of Linux, although I keep up with it.
There's no point in a double boot. I have Ubuntu on a 2 gig sdhc card, that I put in the USB slot if I want to look again at Ubuntu, which isn't often.
When they get the graphics nice and sharp, and get my favourite programs working on it, and when I can't get a free copy of windows, then I might swap.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:59 pm

mistermack wrote:I don't see the point of Linux, although I keep up with it.
There's no point in a double boot. I have Ubuntu on a 2 gig sdhc card, that I put in the USB slot if I want to look again at Ubuntu, which isn't often.
When they get the graphics nice and sharp, and get my favourite programs working on it, and when I can't get a free copy of windows, then I might swap.
I run two servers on linux at work packed with linux-only software (some of which is NOT cheap, I might tell you), and sometimes while on travel I need to run some of that sw locally on my laptop. Some of that sw additionally needs low level access to the computers ports and shit, so it doesn't work from a VM. On the other hand I need WIndows for my connections to the office, so a dual boot is my only option to dragging two computers along...

At home I use linux 99% of the time (just because I like it better, and some of the reasons told here already), but need Windows occasionally, because some sw that doesn't run properly on linux. Also here dual boot is the obvious option.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:03 pm

mistermack wrote:I don't see the point of Linux, although I keep up with it.
I agree ... If I decide to configure a machine with just one main operating system, then that would be Linux, not Windows. :razzle:
MiM wrote: I run two servers on linux at work packed with linux-only software (some of which is NOT cheap, I might tell you), and sometimes while on travel I need to run some of that sw locally on my laptop. Some of that sw additionally needs low level access to the computers ports and shit, so it doesn't work from a VM. On the other hand I need WIndows for my connections to the office, so a dual boot is my only option to dragging two computers along...

At home I use linux 99% of the time (just because I like it better, and some of the reasons told here already), but need Windows occasionally, because some sw that doesn't run properly on linux. Also here dual boot is the obvious option.
Or a virtual machine, if you don't need Window to run games or any other resource hog.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood
About me: Downloading an app to my necktop

Post by Mysturji » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:21 pm

It depends what you want it for.
If you want a machine that does surfing, email, office-type stuff, scientific-type stuff, programming type stuff, lots of other (though admittedly, not very mainstream) type stuff, and has good security (so you don't need anti-virus software slowing you down - you can even use it as a firewall for your home network), which doesn't crash, doesn't need a reboot when things stop working (because they don't stop working), doesn't INSIST that you ALWAYS have the LATEST patches and reboot after installing them, all the while sticking two digital fingers up at Bill Gates, then get Linux.

If you want to play computer games, then get Windows.
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:22 pm

I'd love to try Linux on the netbook, but I know I'd fuck it up.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood
About me: Downloading an app to my necktop

Post by Mysturji » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I'd love to try Linux on the netbook, but I know I'd fuck it up.
It has a GUI front-end now, you know.
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:31 pm

Mysturji wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I'd love to try Linux on the netbook, but I know I'd fuck it up.
It has a GUI front-end now, you know.
Don't be that GUI.

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:10 pm

klr wrote: Or a virtual machine, if you don't need Window to run games or any other resource hog.
Pay by view HD video streaming. I haven't found a virtual machine that does decent networking, yet.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:11 pm

Mysturji wrote:It depends what you want it for.
If you want a machine that does surfing, email, office-type stuff, scientific-type stuff, programming type stuff, lots of other (though admittedly, not very mainstream) type stuff, and has good security (so you don't need anti-virus software slowing you down - you can even use it as a firewall for your home network), which doesn't crash, doesn't need a reboot when things stop working (because they don't stop working), doesn't INSIST that you ALWAYS have the LATEST patches and reboot after installing them, all the while sticking two digital fingers up at Bill Gates, then get Linux.

If you want to play computer games, then get Windows a PS4.
:fix:
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

DaveD

Post by DaveD » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:45 pm

If there's a problem with Windows that a fresh reinstall is the easiest solution for, having Linux as well can be useful, as you can access all the files on the Windows partition and copy them elsewhere (not on the same drive). I often hear of people bemoaning the loss of important documents or precious photos, and being able to boot into Linux would let them rescue them.

mistermack
About me: Never rong.

Post by mistermack » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:36 pm

DaveD wrote:If there's a problem with Windows that a fresh reinstall is the easiest solution for, having Linux as well can be useful, as you can access all the files on the Windows partition and copy them elsewhere (not on the same drive). I often hear of people bemoaning the loss of important documents or precious photos, and being able to boot into Linux would let them rescue them.
I would be wary of using Linux to copy windows files. I was once copying backed up files created on windows, when I kept getting a message saying that the file name was too long on a file, and the copying would stop. It was doing my head in so I thought I'd use UBUNTU to do the job.
It was great, it went through the lot without stopping once.

Only later, I found that lots of the files were un-usable. Why, I don't know, but never again.
I had to do a rescue of the deleted hard disk and lost some files permanently.
While there is a market for shit, there will be assholes to supply it.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:45 pm

What's your netbook? I've got Ubuntu running nicely on an acer. Surprisingly networking worked right away too. That's usually the area where I find a fresh install of linux runs into trouble because of the driver support issue. But really even there if you prepare before hand and don't mind having to tinker a bit you can get it working.

I had some issues with the graphics but got that sorted without much trouble too.

I'd just google your netbook and the linux distro you're looking at. Ubuntu runs great on this little thing.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:46 pm

Sean Hayden wrote:I'd just google your netbook and the linux distro you're looking at. Ubuntu runs great on this little thing.
:?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:48 pm

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:51 pm

Yep, a quick search shows people are making it work. Now get in there and beat your head against the keyboard. :dance: