Recovery plan for C-drive

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Re: Recovery plan for C-drive

Post by FBM » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:53 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Oh, and Plan B is to give the whole schmear to someone who knows what the fuck they're doing.

Do you actually know anyone who knows wtf they're doing?
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:57 am

FBM wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
FBM wrote:This fred has motivated me to backup and partition my HD. Unticked the "quick format" option. Read that it's better somehow. In progress... :bored:
I'm going to buy a big box of 5.25" floppies and go at it.

Should I buy the high density ones? :thinks:
Erm. Yeah. You do that. :tup:
I can get them cheap. One guy inlaid his bar top with floppies of various sizes and ages. Some have hand-written labels, some are commercial products. It's kind of a way-back machine.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

pcCoder

Post by pcCoder » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:24 pm

I normally only back up data and config myself. I've thought about full system backups, but realize that would take a lot of space and even though I have an external hard drive, it is full of other stuff. I keep my home directory partitioned, and a ~/Files directory for all my files, copies of application config, system config, etc. Recovery would be a reinstall of the applications, then a simple "cd ~/Files && make restore-all", or if the home partition has problems as well, restoring ~/Files from my external drive first.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:31 pm

I let Windows 7 decide what to back up. It turned out to be 27 gigs, but of what, :dunno:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:20 pm

pcCoder wrote:I normally only back up data and config myself. I've thought about full system backups, but realize that would take a lot of space and even though I have an external hard drive, it is full of other stuff. I keep my home directory partitioned, and a ~/Files directory for all my files, copies of application config, system config, etc. Recovery would be a reinstall of the applications, then a simple "cd ~/Files && make restore-all", or if the home partition has problems as well, restoring ~/Files from my external drive first.
I have a 2T external drive dedicated to back ups. I have a 1T and 3T HDD in the machine and other externals besides the 2T backup, such as a pair of 2Ts and an 1T, plus two 500G drives. I can afford the space for a full back-up.

Daedalus

Post by Daedalus » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
pcCoder wrote:I normally only back up data and config myself. I've thought about full system backups, but realize that would take a lot of space and even though I have an external hard drive, it is full of other stuff. I keep my home directory partitioned, and a ~/Files directory for all my files, copies of application config, system config, etc. Recovery would be a reinstall of the applications, then a simple "cd ~/Files && make restore-all", or if the home partition has problems as well, restoring ~/Files from my external drive first.
I have a 2T external drive dedicated to back ups. I have a 1T and 3T HDD in the machine and other externals besides the 2T backup, such as a pair of 2Ts and an 1T, plus two 500G drives. I can afford the space for a full back-up.
^This.

Heck, I have 500 gigs just of audiobooks and old time radio that I will NOT allow to vanish.

If you're good about backing up after all, there is really not much you have to do after the first BIG backup.
"A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence." (David Hume)
"The map is not the territory." (Alfred Korzybski)
"Atque in perpetuum frater, ave atque vale." (Catullus)
“You’re in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on its back, struggling, and you’re not helping — why is that?” (Bladerunner)

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:04 pm

Okay, I ordered a 2T drive. I'll give this to the wizard with the hopes he can get all the information off the old one without too many hoops. I saved the install programs for most of my programs and copied that over last week, so I should loose too much.