XP won't recognize my land line. Help?

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Re: XP won't recognize my land line. Help?

Post by Seabass » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:25 pm

So you are actually plugging into a router, not a modem, is that right? And have you made sure your network adapter is set to obtain IP and Dns automatically? And make sure your browser doesn't have any weird proxy settings?
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:26 pm

Never mentioned a router.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Seabass
About me: Pluviophile

Post by Seabass » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:34 pm

So it's not plugged into a router? The 192.... address makes sense if it's plugged into a router.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities." —Voltaire
"They want to take away your hamburgers. This is what Stalin dreamt about but never achieved." —Sebastian Gorka

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 pm

Seabass wrote:So it's not plugged into a router? The 192.... address makes sense if it's plugged into a router.
It's plugged into the cable modem.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:42 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I plugged a LAN cable straight into the cable modem and computer, but Windows don't see it. Any clues?

And please, put "Buy a Mac" comments in RED so I can ignore them. (There's a Mac not two feet from the PC.)
Can I just say, as one of the help desk people here at Ratz, the quality of support requests is severely lacking in a lot of threads. You mention a "land line", but you are talking about ethernet. A "land line" is a phone line. I can'tz help youse if youse don't give clear informations.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:44 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Seabass wrote:So it's not plugged into a router? The 192.... address makes sense if it's plugged into a router.
It's plugged into the cable modem.
Which is actually a router as well.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:47 am

Turn your modem off for 30secs+ and then on again. Replug in the ethernet cable. Does your computer have a little light at the point where the ethernet cable plugs in? Most do. When you plug it in there, do any lights come on? If not, then there's something physically wrong with the connection. Either it's not joining properly or your ethernet card is buggered. Have you tried device manager to see what it says about your network (ethernet) card?

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:52 am

rEvolutionist wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I plugged a LAN cable straight into the cable modem and computer, but Windows don't see it. Any clues?

And please, put "Buy a Mac" comments in RED so I can ignore them. (There's a Mac not two feet from the PC.)
Can I just say, as one of the help desk people here at Ratz, the quality of support requests is severely lacking in a lot of threads. You mention a "land line", but you are talking about ethernet. A "land line" is a phone line. I can'tz help youse if youse don't give clear informations.
The ethernet connection is just fine, no problems. The internet connection is a DOV, data over voice, phone line. :Erasb:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:52 am

rEvolutionist wrote:Turn your modem off for 30secs+ and then on again. Replug in the ethernet cable. Does your computer have a little light at the point where the ethernet cable plugs in? Most do. When you plug it in there, do any lights come on? If not, then there's something physically wrong with the connection. Either it's not joining properly or your ethernet card is buggered. Have you tried device manager to see what it says about your network (ethernet) card?
Did all that earlier.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:04 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:

The ethernet connection is just fine, no problems. The internet connection is a DOV, data over voice, phone line. :Erasb:
Ok, i'm still confused. Is the DOV what you refer to as "Cable"? Is that the connection from the modem to the outside world/internet? What is the connection from the modem to the computer - ethernet?

And which part of the connection is not working properly (and how is it apparent that it's not working properly)?