Testing HDD and backup-restore options?

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Testing HDD and backup-restore options?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:47 pm

Okay, after Go Boom! I have a disk muttering about suicide. What you would suggest I use to test it to see if that's just a glitch or it's really heading south?

Also, it is the "factory image" disk, 500 gig, and I'm doing a backup with Windows' backup software. If it turns out to actually be bad I'll replace it with a 3T and partition that one so one partition can be used for the "factory image" area. If that makes sense. Does it?
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Re: Testing HDD and backup-restore options?

Post by Azathoth » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:56 pm

get yourself a linux live CD and run badblocks. If it is developing bad sectors it will tell you where they are and you can hide them. As a sidenote if it is developing bad sectors back it up ASAP. You can patch them up for a bit but the drive is on it's way out.
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:02 pm

Azathoth wrote:get yourself a linux live CD and run badblocks. If it is developing bad sectors it will tell you where they are and you can hide them. As a sidenote if it is developing bad sectors back it up ASAP. You can patch them up for a bit but the drive is on it's way out.
Just finished backing it up. It can go to hell quietly now. chkdsk /f pends for it.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:13 pm

if you are going to replace get yourself a solid state drive. Just use it for your OS and programs. Keep all your data on another drive. It will make the standard drive last longer and speed your machine up by a considerable margin
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Azathoth wrote:if you are going to replace get yourself a solid state drive. Just use it for your OS and programs. Keep all your data on another drive. It will make the standard drive last longer and speed your machine up by a considerable margin
This one is the backup drive for the machine, I'd have to jigger things around to get the 3T to be the OS and programs drive. Data is far and away the biggest slow-down on this system, some of my OCR files run over a gigabyte.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:54 pm

Use one partition on a disk for the system files - i.e., Windows and application programs. Even with Windows 7 bloat, you shouldn't need more than 50 GB. That can then be backed up in full by itself to preserve your "system state".

The data you put on other partitions/disks, and back those up according to whatever strategy best suits. Some important things like bookmarks, etc. will still be on the system drive, so those should be regularly backed up separately. I just export them, and copy them to a data partition, from where they get backed up.

BTW, 32-bit systems might have a problem with drives > 2 TB, but IIRC you're using Windows 7 64-bit.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:39 pm

klr wrote:Use one partition on a disk for the system files - i.e., Windows and application programs. Even with Windows 7 bloat, you shouldn't need more than 50 GB. That can then be backed up in full by itself to preserve your "system state".

The data you put on other partitions/disks, and back those up according to whatever strategy best suits. Some important things like bookmarks, etc. will still be on the system drive, so those should be regularly backed up separately. I just export them, and copy them to a data partition, from where they get backed up.

BTW, 32-bit systems might have a problem with drives > 2 TB, but IIRC you're using Windows 7 64-bit.
Yeah, 64-bitch system.
However, given that I have to replace that drive, and thus will have another bay freed up in the process, I may go for a pair to 2Ts.