Computer go BOOM!

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Computer go BOOM!

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:17 am

That was three hours ago! Did it explode and take you with it?
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:21 am

rEvolutionist wrote:That was three hours ago! Did it explode and take you with it?
Co-ed came in for some extra credit work. :coffee:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:48 am

Still fighting! But now it's not crashing so much. Occasionally, but no BSOD, at least. I restored Windows to a previous restore point. No progress on the Linux experiment. Took me all day (between classes) just to get it to work out of safe mode. Now I'm all "fuck it" and am going home. Oh, the IT guy never showed.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:50 am

For some reason, Chrome won't download to that machine now. It tried before, but never was successful. Now it's not even trying. :tearhair:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:53 am

FBM wrote:Still fighting! But now it's not crashing so much. Occasionally, but no BSOD, at least. I restored Windows to a previous restore point. No progress on the Linux experiment. Took me all day (between classes) just to get it to work out of safe mode. Now I'm all "fuck it" and am going home. Oh, the IT guy never showed.
You need to go into the bios and change the boot order. You shouldn't be going anywhere near safe mode
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:16 am

Tried that early on. Couldn't get it to boot from the USB. :think:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:05 am

bsod.jpg

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:12 am

FBM wrote:Tried that early on. Couldn't get it to boot from the USB. :think:
Depending on the BIOS, you might have to press F8 during boot-up to be able to do that.
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
bsod.jpg
:lol:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:14 am

klr wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
bsod.jpg
I'm going to rename that file "kevin.jpg".

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:15 am

@ Zilla: :lol: Since I inherited this ancient POS, I can't be guilty of any of that.
klr wrote:
Depending on the BIOS, you might have to press F8 during boot-up to be able to do that.
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
bsod.jpg
F8 takes you to safe mode, no? :ask:

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:20 am

FBM wrote:@ Zilla: :lol: Since I inherited this ancient POS, I can't be guilty of any of that.
klr wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
bsod.jpg
F8 takes you to safe mode, no? :ask:
Only once the boot sequence has got as far as launching Windows. It should be possible to intervene before that, but depending on how the boot sequence is configured, you might only have a couple of seconds windows to do this.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:22 am

F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8

until you get the Safe Mode up.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 am

Will try it again a bit earlier in the process tomorrow, then. Gracias. :tup: I've got Windows 7 disks, but the fracking CD/DVD player doesn't work. :roll: Genuine POS. I'm thinking about taking a handful of neodymium magnets to the hard drive and pleading ignorance so they'll just replace the whole thing. :plot:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:24 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8F8

until you get the Safe Mode up.
:rtft: I can get into Safe Mode already!

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:25 am

FBM wrote:Will try it again a bit earlier in the process tomorrow, then. Gracias. :tup: I've got Windows 7 disks, but the fracking CD/DVD player doesn't work. :roll: Genuine POS. I'm thinking about taking a handful of neodymium magnets to the hard drive and pleading ignorance so they'll just replace the whole thing. :plot:
Check your device manager for yellow triangles. Then check your drivers. You can get programs to check all the drivers for currency.