Shear terror sets in.

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Shear terror sets in.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:36 am

rEvolutionist wrote:Are you intending to boot from this other hard drive? If not, then there's nothing to worry about. Just plug it in, make sure you boot from your regular drive, and it will be there (if you're lucky) in 'My Computer'.
Yeah, I don't really anticipate a problem, but I hate doing shit I have no clue about.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:43 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:Are you intending to boot from this other hard drive? If not, then there's nothing to worry about. Just plug it in, make sure you boot from your regular drive, and it will be there (if you're lucky) in 'My Computer'.
Yeah, I don't really anticipate a problem, but I hate doing shit I have no clue about.
It is just putting things into holes. As long as you don't force it you are good :biggrin:
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:44 am

Azathoth wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
It is just putting things into holes. As long as you don't force it you are good :biggrin:
If I do force it the whole thing will just shut down, right?

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:47 am

Yeah, permanently if you force it hard enough
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:27 am

To be safe, plug it in with the system powered down. As for booting, it will only work if your hardware is extremely similar to the donor machine. If you were running Linux you could hop from machine to machine (within the same microarchitecture) care free with a jaunty tune on your lips and a spring in your step.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:02 am

rEvolutionist wrote:I've had troubles before where I've added a drive with an operating system on it, and the bios has cracked the shits as the hardware didn't match between the two computers. That wasn't the actual most problematic bit - it was when I tried to boot up with my correct drive/os that the bios was still a bit confused. Had to enter the bios and set the fucker straight before it would reboot properly.
If you had a Mac there would be none of this scary stuff, it all just works together... :smug: :smoke: :twisted:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:25 pm

JimC wrote:
rEvolutionist wrote:I've had troubles before where I've added a drive with an operating system on it, and the bios has cracked the shits as the hardware didn't match between the two computers. That wasn't the actual most problematic bit - it was when I tried to boot up with my correct drive/os that the bios was still a bit confused. Had to enter the bios and set the fucker straight before it would reboot properly.
If you had a Mac there would be none of this scary stuff, it all just works together... :smug: :smoke: :twisted:
Nah, I'd rather have four computers that work just fine than one that works as it bloody well wants to. :levi:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:29 pm

I do have one absolute terror coming up. I have to defeat Patrick's password on the admin account on his Mac. :nervous: