Photoshop plugins - share tips and opinions

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Photoshop plugins - share tips and opinions

Post by FBM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:22 am

No, I'm not an expert at any of this, far from it. Somebody turned me on to Topaz Labs plugins for PS probably a year ago, but I never got the download right or something. Anyway, I just downgot a bundle of plugins to go with PSE7, which is what I use 99% of the time. I also have CS6, but haven't looked into using the plugins there. I haven't gotten into the habit of using it yet. Anyway, I just wanted to share my experience with this one image and see if someone might have some useful input or experience or whatever.

Original image:
DSC_0070.JPG
In PSE7 without plugins (you can probably see what I did):
DSC_0070 copy.jpg
And with sharpening and detailing plugins:
DSC_0070 copya.jpg
Corrections/suggestions welcome. Please be kind with your comments. I'm still a noob. :biggrin:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

MiM
Man In The Middle

Re: Photoshop plugins - share tips and opinions

Post by MiM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:31 am

You created an Angel :shock:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:35 am

Wound up with a nice halo, dinnit? :smoke:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:38 am

Yup :tup:
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:08 am

I personally don't like any image with overuse of the clarity slider (or equivalent - such as HRLA sharpening). They can be quite striking to view though. If ever i use it, it's with black and white images. Without bothering to try, I suspect that eagle would look better in black and white (with the plugin adjustments).

Regarding Topaz, I played around with the free trial years ago and had some fun (and sometimes good) results from it. I'll dig around in one of my drives and see if I can find one particular image that turned out really well. I don't know what the filter was called, but it applied a sort of painterly/cartoonish (that's the best I can think of to describe it) effect to the image.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:15 am

Here's the topaz image. This was a graveyard up in the mountains in Northern Italy.
Attachments
graveyard.jpg
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:40 am

That did turn out really well, rEv. I wonder if that last buzzard image would look over-done if the other two images weren't there to compare it to? It's hard for me to tell, because my of eyesight. I imagine I over-do more than just sharpening because of it. I prefer the warmth of the middle image over the sharpness of the third, tbh. Anyway, it was just my first experiment with the new plugins. If I stick with it, I'll probably get better at it.

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:53 am

I'm pretty allergic to sharpening artefacts and halos, so I guess I would have spotted it, even without the comparisons

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:24 pm

MiM wrote:I'm pretty allergic to sharpening artefacts and halos, so I guess I would have spotted it, even without the comparisons
Yeah, I'm the same.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:27 pm

Ah. I just remembered one tweak I tried out in the plugins was called something like "Deep Blue Sky." That may be the culprit, or it might be a combination of that and the over-sharpening.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:20 pm

DSC_0070NX2.JPG

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Meh. I think the first 'shoop was the best.

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:46 pm

Agree :tup: