Windows 7, Paint, and the Snipping Tool

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Re: Windows 7, Paint, and the Snipping Tool

Post by klr » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:36 pm

If I ever want to see what an Apple Mac looked like, I've got all the emulation software.

If.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:21 pm

So what was the first Apple product to ship with a modem?
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:35 pm

Cormac wrote:So what was the first Apple product to ship with a modem?
With an inbuilt modem? I assume those were fairly late on the scene, and that Apple users had to make do with external modems like us poor PC types.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:24 am

First, you're blurring two generations of Apple product. There was the Apple II and its progeny, and the McIntosh and it's kin. All you need for a modem is a serial port. (McIntoshes used serial port printers, but I'd have to research what their capabilities were, as I never owned one.) I don't recall the base hardware of the Apple II, IIc or IIe, but I had an Apple II with a 300 baud add in modem card. For which I tried forever to write an assembler interrupt servicing routine that would keep up with the output of the port. I did a lot of trying to reinvent the wheel in those days. I had a similar experience trying to code the inner loop of a FORTH interpreter in assembler. It generally did little but attempt to thread, load and execute random memory locations. I'm something of a brute force approach programmer. I'm happiest if I can transform the basic program task into something that can be accomplished by a DFA, because I can write complex DFAs off the top of my head, thus skipping the tedious 'design stage'.)

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:47 am

rasetsu wrote:First, you're blurring two generations of Apple product. There was the Apple II and its progeny, and the McIntosh and it's kin. All you need for a modem is a serial port. (McIntoshes used serial port printers, but I'd have to research what their capabilities were, as I never owned one.) I don't recall the base hardware of the Apple II, IIc or IIe, but I had an Apple II with a 300 baud add in modem card. For which I tried forever to write an assembler interrupt servicing routine that would keep up with the output of the port. I did a lot of trying to reinvent the wheel in those days. I had a similar experience trying to code the inner loop of a FORTH interpreter in assembler. It generally did little but attempt to thread, load and execute random memory locations. I'm something of a brute force approach programmer. I'm happiest if I can transform the basic program task into something that can be accomplished by a DFA, because I can write complex DFAs off the top of my head, thus skipping the tedious 'design stage'.)

Ah. That explains it. You'd to hack them. :)
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:36 am

I've had this Windows 7 laptop for 9 months now, and I've never been asked to use any "snipping tool". Fn+PrtSc, copy the entire screen, then paste into PhotoShop using Ctrl-V. Never seen any "snipping tool" rear its ugly head.

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Post by Calilasseia » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:43 am

Hah, now that I've looked up this "snipping tool" gizmo, it looks pretty interesting. Apparently it not only allows rectangular regions to be snapshotted for subsequent pasting, but it also allows you to draw a free form shape whose graphical contents will be saved. Nice. But to find it, I had to read this thread, then go to the desktop, hit F1 to call up help, and type "snipping tool" in the box.

Hmm, thought it was too good to be true. Just gave the free form snip feature a test. It grabs the selected area all right, and indeed saves it as a PNG, but it doesn't save transparent pixels in the rectangle containing the snip outside of the selected boundary. Ho hum.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:37 pm

Calilasseia wrote:Hah, now that I've looked up this "snipping tool" gizmo, it looks pretty interesting. Apparently it not only allows rectangular regions to be snapshotted for subsequent pasting, but it also allows you to draw a free form shape whose graphical contents will be saved. Nice. But to find it, I had to read this thread, then go to the desktop, hit F1 to call up help, and type "snipping tool" in the box.

Hmm, thought it was too good to be true. Just gave the free form snip feature a test. It grabs the selected area all right, and indeed saves it as a PNG, but it doesn't save transparent pixels in the rectangle containing the snip outside of the selected boundary. Ho hum.
Um, that's why it's called a "snipping" tool. Lots of free screen snaggers out there. I use Corel Paint Shop because I already have it.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”