Magick and the Occult

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Magick and the Occult

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:32 pm

Bella Fortuna wrote:Have you studied Salem at all? I wrote a paper on that once - as usual, it boils down to social strife and enmity between individuals. The accusers inevitably have some personal grudge against the accused, and sympathetic hysteria takes off from there...
The Amish are also into that superstition stuff. "Hex" signs on the barns, etc.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:09 pm

Did Jesus do the 'sawing a lady in half' bit or did that come later?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:30 pm

Animavore wrote:Did Jesus do the 'sawing a lady in half' bit or did that come later?
Penn says one thing, Teller says another, so I'm not sure. :dono:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

electricwhiteboy
Ipsissimus

Post by electricwhiteboy » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:52 pm

Firstly here’s the difference between Magick and Magic. Magic is the stagecraft of performers which intends to create the illusion that they are performing the impossible, conjuring tricks like pulling a rabbit out of a hat, or sleight of hand. Magick, the term coined by Alistair Crowley, is to my understanding entirely synonymous with Art in all its forms. I feel it needs to be said that I’m not a fan of Crowley, the man was a shite example of a human being, and a bit of a mad bastard. Magick under my definition is not about breaking, or bending the laws of the universe. Horribly pretentious piffle alert! Magick is the making of a personal truth into a universal one, or Vice-versa, thereby illuminating an area of the human condition by the use of language and symbolism, is art not then one and the same thing?

Why then bother to call Art, magick, isn’t it all a bit pretentious? Completely, but certainly it’s a more down to earth, and damn sight more rational, view of the Occult. We are quite happy to use magical terms for art, evocative, ethereal, spellbinding, charming, or even saying that a concert was “magical”. If we take these from being a metaphor to actually defining what art is by these terms, then you’ll get what I’m talking about. When art has an actual purpose then I would call this magick. So if you want what my definition of Black Magic is then I would say, with tongue in cheek, advertising. Attaching a tribe like devotion to a particular logo on a sweatshirt, associating their product with an unrelated pleasant image, chocolate or perfume with sex, diesel engines belching out flowers, jeans with rebellion or sex, or both. If you can imagine art trying to be as persuasive, as cunning and manipulating as advertising, to actually try to create a beneficial end then you’ve got magick.

That’s all very poetic and wanky, but what is Magick? To put it into scientifically acceptable terms magick is the attempt to create a meme with the purpose of having a deliberate effect. A protest song, a polemic or allegorical piece of fiction, or a satire on a politician would be a good example of this. How does any of this relate to what we traditionally associate with magic? Let’s have a look at recent portrayal of the magician archetype. Gandalf the latest retelling of the Merlin myth probably fits in with what you expect a magician to be. If you take the core of what that character does, it’s riding around on a white stallion making speeches, inspiring others to do great things, and very little in the way of casting real spells.

Very strongly associated with magic is the idea of magical words, or the power of the voice. Kabballah, which has nothing
to do with wearing a piece of red string or drinking expensive bottled water, essentially comes from the idea that the Hebrew alphabet is holy. The word and the name of God are supposedly the keys to understanding and manipulating the universe. If you take a literal take on what is meant by “in the beginning was the word, and the word was with God and of God” then you’re along the same idea.

Well that's what I define magick as.

I'll go into the history and what the wingnuts believe next.

Feck

Post by Feck » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:24 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:I have a signed limited edition of some of Crowley's lousy poetry, would that help?

I also used to be a witch. (I know, :roll: )

Witch poems Bella ? ssrsly :drool:

To know to Will and to oh um.... :whistle:
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:35 am

Feck wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:I have a signed limited edition of some of Crowley's lousy poetry, would that help?

This is the book I have - rather valuable, apparently.

http://www.biblio.com/books/229936999.html

My witchery had nothing to do with him, though... someone gave me the book years ago. I was far more benign. :levi:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Feck

Post by Feck » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:44 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:
Feck wrote:

My witchery had nothing to do with him, though... someone gave me the book years ago. I was far more benign. :levi:
I'm off in a jealous sulk now :cry:

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:45 am

Feck wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:
Feck wrote:

Guess I won't tell you that I have his embalmed head in a jar that I use as a paperweight...

Feck

Post by Feck » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:52 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:
Feck wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:
Feck wrote:

Guess I won't tell you that I have his embalmed head in a jar that I use as a paperweight...
"Heart of my heart come out of the rain soak me in cognac sex and cocaine " :hehe:

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:53 am

At first I though you were talking about an add-on for the card game. :doh:
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:05 pm

Bella Fortuna wrote:
Feck wrote:

No sex magick then?
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:07 pm

Pappa wrote:
Bella Fortuna wrote:
Feck wrote:

No sex magick then?
I don't need no stinkin' book for that, my lad. ;)

electricwhiteboy
Ipsissimus

Post by electricwhiteboy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:29 pm

I find his poetry nigh on unreadable wank, actually I find his writings on the occult unreadable wank too, his constant piss taking and obfuscation almost completely counter balance any insight the man had. People treat him like he was the authority on the occult, or famously in the press as “The Wickedest Man In the World”, neither of which are really true.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:35 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
I find his poetry nigh on unreadable wank, actually I find his writings on the occult unreadable wank too, his constant piss taking and obfuscation almost completely counter balance any insight the man had. People treat him like he was the authority on the occult, or famously in the press as “The Wickedest Man In the World”, neither of which are really true.
His writing inspires the phrase "hoary dreck" in me.

electricwhiteboy
Ipsissimus

Post by electricwhiteboy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:59 pm

Pappa wrote:No sex magick then?
Ummmm.... read a bit and dabbled, shall we say. It's all fairly ludicrous yogic nonsense, with chakras, guided meditation, hilarious and deeply unsexy breathing exercises designed to make you almost hyperventilate. It’s Tantric Sex with added woo basically, as an atheist and rationalist the whole “mystical and spiritual union of sex” bullshit is rather off-putting. That said there might be something to it, whether or not it’s possible to achieve the same effects with different and less risible techniques is open to conjecture.

Actually, put it this way I've never had sex on poppers, but I imagine the effects are somewhat comparable to that which is achievable through Sex Magick.