Magick and the Occult

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
charlou
arseist

Re: Magick and the Occult

Post by charlou » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:01 am

electricwhiteboy wrote: Why then bother to call Art, magick, isn’t it all a bit pretentious? Completely, but certainly it’s a more down to earth, and damn sight more rational, view of the Occult. We are quite happy to use magical terms for art, evocative, ethereal, spellbinding, charming, or even saying that a concert was “magical”. If we take these from being a metaphor to actually defining what art is by these terms, then you’ll get what I’m talking about. When art has an actual purpose then I would call this magick. So if you want what my definition of Black Magic is then I would say, with tongue in cheek, advertising. Attaching a tribe like devotion to a particular logo on a sweatshirt, associating their product with an unrelated pleasant image, chocolate or perfume with sex, diesel engines belching out flowers, jeans with rebellion or sex, or both. If you can imagine art trying to be as persuasive, as cunning and manipulating as advertising, to actually try to create a beneficial end then you’ve got magick.
Interesting approach ... Pantheism similarly naturalises the notion of 'god'.

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Re: Magick and the Occult

Post by Pappa » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:34 am

electricwhiteboy wrote:
Pappa wrote:No sex magick then?
Ummmm.... read a bit and dabbled, shall we say. It's all fairly ludicrous yogic nonsense, with chakras, guided meditation, hilarious and deeply unsexy breathing exercises designed to make you almost hyperventilate. It’s Tantric Sex with added woo basically, as an atheist and rationalist the whole “mystical and spiritual union of sex” bullshit is rather off-putting. That said there might be something to it, whether or not it’s possible to achieve the same effects with different and less risible techniques is open to conjecture.

Actually, put it this way I've never had sex on poppers, but I imagine the effects are somewhat comparable to that which is achievable through Sex Magick.
You should try it on acid.... now that is weird.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.