More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Furries

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Transgirlofnofaith
Everyone's favourite loudmouth Furry narcissist.

More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Furries

Post by Transgirlofnofaith » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:21 pm

Hi there. Since I now have a "thing", I thought I'd start a thread in this section explaining the fandom, and supplying some basic information about it. As you may know, I'm a Furry. :biggrin: What's a Furry, you ask? Well, Wikipedia says:

Furry fandom (also known as furrydom, furridom, fur fandom or furdom) refers to the fandom for fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics. Examples of anthropomorphic attributes include exhibiting human intelligence and facial expressions, the ability to speak, walk on two legs, and wear clothes. Furry fandom is also used to refer to the community of artists, writers, role players and general fans of the furry art forms who gather on the net and at conventions.

People in the fandom are known as furries, but this can also refer to the anthropomorphic characters that we like.

How it started:

According to fandom historian Fred Patten, the concept of furry originated at a science fiction convention in 1980, when a drawing of a character from Steve Gallacci’s Albedo Anthropomorphics initiated a discussion of anthropomorphic characters in science fiction novels, which in turn initiated a discussion group that met at science fiction and comics conventions. Patten defined "Furry fandom" as "the organized appreciation and dissemination of art and prose regarding 'Furries', or fictional mammalian anthropomorphic characters."

The specific term "Furry fandom" was being used in fanzines as early as 1983, and had become the standard name for the genre by the mid-1990s. However, fans consider the origins of furry fandom to be much earlier, with fictional works such as Kimba, The White Lion released in 1965, Richard Adams' novel Watership Down, published in 1972 (and its 1978 film adaptation), as well as Disney's Robin Hood as oft-cited examples. To distinguish these personae from seriously depicted animal characters, such as Lassie or Old Yeller, cartoon animals are referred to as funny animals, a term that came into use in the 1910s.

During the 1980s, furry fans began to publish fanzines, developing a diverse social group that eventually began to schedule social gatherings. By 1987, there was sufficient interest to stage the first furry convention. Throughout the next decade, the Internet became accessible to the general population and became the most popular means for furry fans to socialize. The newsgroup alt.fan.furry was created in November 1990, and virtual environments such as MUCKs also became popular places on the Internet for fans to meet and communicate.

Damn I'm lazy. But it's a GNU public licence, so I'm legally allowed to rip it off. Heh heh heh.

So that's it fur now :hehe: , as I'm going to bed soon until the afternoon. I'll go into more detail about the fandom later on here. More posts in this thread forthcoming.
Under (re)construction

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Re: More Than You Ever Wanted To Know About Furries

Post by FBM » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:29 pm

fur.k
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

MrFungus420

Post by MrFungus420 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:58 am

FBM wrote:fur.k
Fur-Q
P1: I am a nobody.
P2: Nobody is perfect.
C: Therefore, I am perfect

Skylarking
About me: More to come.

Post by Skylarking » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:15 pm

Go to 4-chan and you will see all you ever wanted to see about Furries...

:?

no wiser than my last thought; no stronger than my last word; no more humble than my desperation

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:22 pm

Skylarking wrote:Go to 4-chan and you will see all you never wanted to see about Furries...

:fix:
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Skylarking

Post by Skylarking » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Ghatanothoa wrote:
Skylarking wrote:Go to 4-chan and you will see all you never wanted to see about Furries...

A bit of a Freudian Slip there. :shifty:

no wiser than my last thought; no stronger than my last word; no more humble than my desperation

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:48 pm

On rare occasions furries can be hot. :drool:
Generally this is more like it though :nono:
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Skylarking

Post by Skylarking » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:00 pm

The above is a hot cosplayer and the below are a group of mongrels. Go figure.

mark1961

Post by mark1961 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:56 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjQ5Yw72 ... re=related[/youtube]

I think she qualifies. You can't see too clearly on this YouTube vid but on telly way back then you could see she had busoms. There was some mild controversy at the time and later versions of her showed the censor had administered a double mastectomy. Shame :roll:

ScottyMet

Post by ScottyMet » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Skylarking wrote:The above is a hot cosplayer and the below are a group of mongrels. Go figure.
Seriously. :)

My wife asked me once why I was so weirded out by furries. Even if you take out the concept of "yiffing", which creeps me out to no end, it's their eyes.

Their cold, dead, unfocused eyes... staring off into oblivion. It's frightening at times.

A friend of mine made what could be classified as a furry suit for Dragon*Con last year. She was Wolf, from the StarFox video games (Fox's chief rival/villain). The costume was really well done, and fortunately, she placed the good eye (his left eye is covered by a cybernetic piece) in a way that it looked like he was looking at whomever she was looking at. It made it far less creepy.

Nickel
About me: What can I say - I'm a talented individual

Post by Nickel » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 pm

As an atheist, I'm confused. I want to yell "YIFF IN HELL!", but I know there is no such place.

What do I do, rationalia? I need an appropriate outlet for my furry hate* *Please note that I do not, in fact, hate furries. I hate furries who write retarded fiction (fan or otherwise), but not the bulk of the fandom. FAPFAPFAP.
Capture Jesus and take his super-powers!

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:19 pm

Nickel wrote:As an atheist, I'm confused. I want to yell "YIFF IN HELL!", but I know there is no such place.

What do I do, rationalia? I need an appropriate outlet for my furry hate* *Please note that I do not, in fact, hate furries. I hate furries who write retarded fiction (fan or otherwise), but not the bulk of the fandom. FAPFAPFAP.
YIFF IN HULL

A much nastier prospect

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Ghatanothoa wrote:
Nickel wrote:As an atheist, I'm confused. I want to yell "YIFF IN HELL!", but I know there is no such place.

YIFF IN HULL LUTON

A much nastier prospect

Or would that be TOO drastic?
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Elessarina
Bearer of Anduril
Bearer of Anduril
About me: The Fastest Ratz.. apparently

Post by Elessarina » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:25 pm

Ghatanothoa wrote:On rare occasions furries can be hot. :drool:
OMG she's horrible

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Elessarina wrote:
Ghatanothoa wrote:On rare occasions furries can be hot. :drool:
OMG she's horrible
Her head looks like one of those Japanese Love-Dolls, only less realistic. :hehe:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur