Photography - Technique and Equipment considerations

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
MiM
Man In The Middle

Re: Photography - Technique and Equipment considerations

Post by MiM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:18 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:By the way, there's no point calibrating your monitor unless you do serious print work, or your prints are so far off what you see on your monitor. I've only ever calibrated by hand (i.e. fiddle with the contrast/brightness/colour settings of the monitor by guesstimate).
I disagree. At least do a visual gamma calibration, and check how it shows shadows/highlights. That is if you are at all interested in how other people might see pictures you post, and how the pictures from others might look to the poster. This becomes extra important when the pictures have a lot of shadow detail, like evening/night pics.

Obviously there are gazillions of uncalibrated screens out there, so you cannot win them all.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:24 pm

I don't see the point. As you say, there a zillions of uncalibrated monitors out there. And I can tell you, even a "calibrated" monitor can be wildly off. You only have to hang around serious photography forums too see how wildly off some of them are. I'm not sure why they are so off, whether it's user error, or poor calibration equipment, but there's so much variety out there it's pointless caring how your images look to others. Calibration is only really useful for printing.

eta: Additionally, you have viewing environment thrown into the mix as well. There's just way too many variables to try and bother controlling the few at your own end.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:30 pm

I'm a bit happier with this one. 'Richer' somehow.
marchul3.jpg

MiM
Man In The Middle

Post by MiM » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:05 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:I don't see the point. As you say, there a zillions of uncalibrated monitors out there. And I can tell you, even a "calibrated" monitor can be wildly off. You only have to hang around serious photography forums too see how wildly off some of them are. I'm not sure why they are so off, whether it's user error, or poor calibration equipment, but there's so much variety out there it's pointless caring how your images look to others. Calibration is only really useful for printing.

eta: Additionally, you have viewing environment thrown into the mix as well. There's just way too many variables to try and bother controlling the few at your own end.
Well, if you'r into "I'll do this in a crappy way because everyone else does", that's your business. I try to do my best, regardless of how badly others perform.

Besides, I dislike the situations when I have commented on a picture, and then later have to admit that it was my monitor that was off, not the picture. Has happened a couple of times and I try to avoid that, without restraining myself from commenting on pics.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool - Richard Feynman

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:55 pm

You only have to hang around serious photography forums too see how wildly off some of them are
umm if they are working in cymk they will look very different than rgb or srgb. Besides how do you know your monitor is even a IPS screen??
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:38 pm

macdoc wrote:
You only have to hang around serious photography forums too see how wildly off some of them are
umm if they are working in cymk they will look very different than rgb or srgb. Besides how do you know your monitor is even a IPS screen??
My monitor is not an IPS screen. And no one "works" in CMYK. You only proof to CMYK. All images displayed on the web are RGB. If you hang out at professional photography forums and look at the wild variety of rainbow colours some people think look neutral when groups of different people with allegedly callibrated monitors touch up the same photo, you'd know what I'm talking about. I agree with MIM in so much as you should try and get your images looking as good as possible, and to that end I hand calibrate my monitor so that at least the highlights and shadows are as they probably should be and the colours look reasonably natural. After that, it's pointless, unless you are printing.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:47 am

Rum wrote:I'm a bit happier with this one. 'Richer' somehow.
marchul3.jpg
I agree.

It looks like you have more detail in the petals and stronger contrasts overall. Also, the background is simpler, which is often a good thing.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:56 am

I like the "pop" of the yellow but I'd tend to give them a bit more prominence and less sky

losing detail tho on that size of image.

original
Resident in Cairns Australia Australia> CB300F • Travel photos https://500px.com/p/macdoc?view=galleries

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:21 am

I lifted the flowers in the foreground and darkened the background/sky a bit.
marchul3 copy.jpg

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:50 am

yes - the background was blown out - bringing out the gray clouds is nice

I always love shots with foreground.

Liesel Kershoff is a master of it enjoy

http://www.lieselkershoff.com/gallery_488468.html

http://www.lieselkershoff.com

I brought this one home printed on Canvas/ - and that really is what the Western Cape looks like.

She does no photoshopping.

Worth cruising her galleries just to get composition ideas.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:16 am

Beautiful!

macdoc
Twitcher

Post by macdoc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:41 am

Got the Gx7 today. Definitely a more solid bit of kit.
Not as small as the Gx1 when that is stripped down but should carry in the same space as the EVF is built in.

But is STILL small

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx7

Just took 5 minutes playing.
EVF is very nice - a step up and I really like the sensor that turns off the LCD when I put the camera to my eye.
I was not sure off the tilt LCD but it's very bright and very easy to use....we will see.
The EVF is much easier to focus than the add on on the Gx1 and very crisp

Big battery which is good tho adds to the weight - the compartment is angled and so provides a heftier handhold which is indeed good.

Easier menu to navigate I think but damn there are a lot of choices.
The 20 mm 1.7 lens tho not as compact as the 14mm really looks solid. Look forward to a test run tomorrow at the Botanical Gardens.
Have to chase down another battery or two and there are some nice retro cases out for it.

For $20 on eBay looks okay.

The stripped Gx1 feels flimsy by comparison tho it took a lot of abuse. AF from the limited play appears wicked fast on the 1.7 lens. Nice timing - a day or two to get some shooting done and then a 2 day jaunt up to Cooktown. :biggrin:

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:33 pm

What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange