I love it when a plane comes together!

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

I love it when a plane comes together!

Post by klr » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:26 pm

... seriously. :ddpan:

... even though some of them drive me to distraction:

... and some make me question my very sanity:

Yes, that's what this thread is about. Once I get some better photos taken of kits already finished, and I actually get to finish some more, then this thread is really going to take off ... :levi:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: I love it when a plane comes together!

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:28 pm

I was standing in a junkyard near here one day and a tornado blew through the place. It picked up random bits of debris and flung them together. When the tornado had passed there before me was complete 747.

Darwin so rocks!!!!
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

klr

Post by klr » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:30 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:I was standing in a junkyard near here one day and a tornado blew through the place. It picked up random bits of debris and flung them together. When the tornado had passed there before me was complete 747.

Darwin so rocks!!!!
If only assembling kits was that easy ... :lay:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

Tigger
1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 piccolos
About me: It's not "about" me, it's exactly me.

Post by Tigger » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:31 pm

Great models! :tup:
Seth wrote:Fuck that, I like opening Pandora's box and shoving my tool inside it

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:32 pm

The harder part is going to be inventing a shrinking device so you can get yourself into them and fly them. :ask:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

klr

Post by klr » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:37 pm

Tigger wrote:Great models! :tup:
:biggrin:

It's a toss-up as to which kit caused me the most grief:

1. The Brewster Buffalo: Painstakingly removing all those ***** rivets that infest so many old Airfix kits. :irate:

2. The Fieseler Storch: The paint scheme - of course. :cry:

3. The Potez 540 (for that is what it is): All that bloody framing for the windows and turrets. Hand-painted ... of course. ;ob;

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:43 pm

klr wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:I was standing in a junkyard near here one day and a tornado blew through the place. It picked up random bits of debris and flung them together. When the tornado had passed there before me was complete 747.

Darwin so rocks!!!!
Where's the fun in that? :brood:

My own modeling career seems to have striven to verify the existence of the LePage Glue Gun.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

klr

Post by klr » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:45 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
klr wrote:

Darwin so rocks!!!!
Where's the fun in that? :brood:

My own modeling career seems to have striven to verify the existence of the LePage Glue Gun.
:lol:

I have a couple of German railway guns ... unbuilt of course. :shifty:

I'm not sure how much time I spent on this Canberra, but I think it was the best part of 100 hours:

Tigger
1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 piccolos
About me: It's not "about" me, it's exactly me.

Post by Tigger » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:26 am

I had a good friend who made Airfix models and took hours over them. These are superb.
Seth wrote:Fuck that, I like opening Pandora's box and shoving my tool inside it

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:33 am

Nice work, old chap. I remember assembling a Lancaster bomber Airfix kit and it was a shambles. Looked like a fellow who'd been convicted twice for stealing in Saudi Arabia had made it...
"I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled"

AND MERRY XMAS TO ONE AND All!

Imagehttp://25kv.co.uk/date_counter.php?date ... 20counting!!![/img-sig]

klr

Post by klr » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:25 am

Clinton Huxley wrote:Nice work, old chap. I remember assembling a Lancaster bomber Airfix kit and it was a shambles. Looked like a fellow who'd been convicted twice for stealing in Saudi Arabia had made it...
:awesome:

Actually, the Airfix Lancaster (the current kit, not the really, really, really old one) is still a nice kit, if a tad pricey compared to the much newer and fancier Revell kit. There's also a Hasegawa kit, but you might need to take out another mortgage if you want to buy that.

I have two of the Airfix Lancasters (bought on the cheap), but I have yet to build them. I built the "old" Revell Lancaster back in the mid-1980's, and the "old" Revell Focke-Wulf Condor at the same time (it too has been replaced by a new kit). Both kits were absolute horrors. :|~

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:58 pm

klr wrote:It's a toss-up as to which kit caused me the most grief:

[...]

Excellent job, Kevin. There are alternative paint schemes. I suppose you know that. Here's one: http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/ ... Storch.jpg
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:10 pm

This was a hobby of mine when I was a kid. Suffering as I think I did from ADHD (undiagnosed in those days thank god), it was about the worst hobby I could have had! I used to get glue everywhere, be inpatient for it to set and paint (badly) on bits of plastic with wet glue on them! Fiddly bits like the struts and the canopies used to drive me nuts!

The most fun I had with them was putting fire crackers in them, setting the fuse and throwing them in the air to watch them explode as if they had been hit by flak!

Faithfree
The Potable Atheist
About me: All things in moderation, including moderation

Post by Faithfree » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:29 pm

Good work, klr! :tup:

I tried making a few model planes as a kid, but just ended up making a mess with glue everywhere.

I have just finished scanning some plane photos my father took in the 1950s. Stuffed if I know what most of them are. Perhaps I should post them for the plane enthusiasts to identify.
Although it may look like a forum, this site is actually a crowd-sourced science project modelling the slow but inexorable heat death of the universe.

klr

Post by klr » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Seraph wrote:
klr wrote:It's a toss-up as to which kit caused me the most grief:

[...]

Excellent job, Kevin. There are alternative paint schemes. I suppose you know that. Here's one: http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/ ... Storch.jpg
I know, but I just had to go for that one. I have other Storches yet to build, including one with skis and a winter camouflage, and a post-war French version with a different engine and a fetching chocolate finish ...