Landscape Carpentry

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Re: Landscape Carpentry

Post by Woodbutcher » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:21 pm

JimC wrote:OK, here is the finished product (which is how I should have built it in the first place... :roll: )

Now to dig holes, put in compost and fertiliser, and plant 2 passionfruit vines... :food:
Nice work, Jim. If I plant something, dogwood will come up. Or poplar. Or pin cherry. Or raspberries. So I settled on raspberries. I get several gallons each year, I just freeze them in one liter bags and thaw them out as required.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Woodbutcher
Stray Cat
Stray Cat
About me: Still crazy after all these years.

Post by Woodbutcher » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:11 am

Bella, your arbour is fastened to your house, is it not? You might be able to cut the post and use a deck block under it. You wouldn't have to dig then.
If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.-Red Green
"Yo". Rocky
"Never been worried about what other people see when they look at me". Gawdzilla
"No friends currently defined." Friends & Foes.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:20 am

We had to replace some posts in place once. The CBs cut 5 gallon plastic buckets in half, top to bottom. The rotten part of the posts was cut off. The buckets were placed under the posts and strapped. The Bees then poured concrete into the buckets. Nice solid footing for the posts.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”