What's Wrong With This HTML Code?

Give us a seminar, lecture or lesson on what your 'thing' is. Now with our exclusive ASK-A-NERD!!!
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: What's Wrong With This HTML Code?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:59 am

I find it amusing that code people are supposed to be orderly and concise and the HTML code gets generated in a total mush.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:02 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I find it amusing that code people are supposed to be orderly and concise and the HTML code gets generated in a total mush.
If the HTML was "generated" in something like MS Word (and a lot of people did that) then you may as well start again.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:03 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:I find it amusing that code people are supposed to be orderly and concise and the HTML code gets generated in a total mush.
I think I see the flaw in your logic. :mrgreen:
Thinking Aloud wrote:
If the HTML was "generated" in something like MS Word (and a lot of people did that) then you may as well start again throw yourself under the next bus.
:fix:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:06 pm

Thinking Aloud wrote:
If the HTML was "generated" in something like MS Word (and a lot of people did that) then you may as well start again.
I get it from FineReader, my OCR program.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:07 pm

So what's a good strategy for converting a 700+ page hardcopy to HTML with some nice clean, neatly laid out code?

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:So what's a good strategy for converting a 700+ page hardcopy to HTML with some nice clean, neatly laid out code?
A human, and a lot of time.

The Gutenberg Project does a similar job on old texts, and relies on many thousands of volunteers to do all the format-fixing and corrections of OCRed documents.

klr

Post by klr » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:33 pm

Thinking Aloud wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:So what's a good strategy for converting a 700+ page hardcopy to HTML with some nice clean, neatly laid out code?

The Gutenberg Project does a similar job on old texts, and relies on many thousands of volunteers to do all the format-fixing and corrections of OCRed documents.
:this:

There is no "magic bullet" for this work, especially when it comes to proof-reading and correcting the OCRed text.

As for HTML'ing it ... I don't know. It's possible that there are tools out there that would do a lot of the basic work in terms of HTML generation, but you'd still be advised to check everything afterwards.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:43 pm

So, invoke the OPU (Organic Processing Unit) and chug through it. That hasn't changed in lo these many years. (1990 was my first HTML experience.)

And I've donated to Gutenberg, they're on the same server as Hyperwar, at UNC.

klr

Post by klr » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:So, invoke the OPU (Organic Processing Unit) and chug through it. That hasn't changed in lo these many years. (1990 was my first HTML experience.)

It's possible software like Calibre (for generating eBooks) can also assist in generating HTML from OCRed text. It might be able to "intelligently" detect paragraph breaks, headings, etc. If you're really, really, really lucky, it might even be able to build a usable TOC.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:28 pm

klr wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:So, invoke the OPU (Organic Processing Unit) and chug through it. That hasn't changed in lo these many years. (1990 was my first HTML experience.)

It's possible software like Calibre (for generating eBooks) can also assist in generating HTML from OCRed text. It might be able to "intelligently" detect paragraph breaks, headings, etc. If you're really, really, really lucky, it might even be able to build a usable TOC.
I'm actually learning more HTML doing it the hard way.

The WarDamageReports are ready to upload. (Except the long ones, they'll be for next week's goodie list.)

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:47 pm

Thinking Aloud wrote:

I find judicious usage of regular expressions works 95% of the time, and it cuts down the time required by a couple of orders of magnitude (or more).

Sorry... I meant for fixing badly generated HTML, not OCR correction.
Last edited by Pappa on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:48 pm

Pappa wrote:
Thinking Aloud wrote:

I find judicious usage of regular expressions works 95% of the time, and it cuts down the time required by a couple of orders of magnitude (or more).
For example?

Where do I start learning that?

klr

Post by klr » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:16 pm

Got 'em. Thanks.

Now to go screw up some files. :plot:

klr

Post by klr » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:21 pm

That list of "supporting software" is incomplete. Almost all programming/HTML editors should support regular expressions, either out of the box, or via plugins.

It also doesn't cover programming language support for regular expressions, which is very widespread. There could be situations where that would come in very handy indeed.