1 in 5 Americans believe in pure evolution – and that's good

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

1 in 5 Americans believe in pure evolution – and that's good

Post by klr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:11 am

... because it used be worse:
Only 1 in 5 Americans believe in pure evolution – and that's an upswing
Double that number want creationism or intelligent design taught in public schools

By Rik Myslewski, 23rd July 2013

According to a new poll by YouGov, the number of Americans who believe in evolution not directed by God is rising, but those pure evolutionists still only account for one in five of those surveyed.

Specifically, YouGov asked its "representative sample of 1,000 Americans" how they felt about three versions of human evolution:

Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, and God did not directly guide this process
Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, but God guided this process
God created human beings in their present form within the last ten thousand years

When YouGov asked the same question in 2004, only 13 per cent of Americans answered in the affirmative to the first statement. That number rose to 15 per cent in 2008, and its most recent findings, announced on Monday, saw that number rise to 21 per cent.

For those who take a purely scientific view of evolution, that's the good news. The bad news is that 25 per cent of all respondents said that God has guided evolution, and a full 37 percent dismiss human evolution entirely – meaning that 62 per cent believe that God is either guiding evolution or made us all as we are today at our moment of creation, which was within the past 10,000 years.

You can, of course, look at those numbers in another way. As YouGov puts it, "The numbers show that 46 per cent of Americans believe in the evolution of humankind in some form, while 37 per cent of Americans deny this."

More text and purty graphs here: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/23 ... thout_god/
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: 1 in 5 Americans believe in pure evolution – and that's

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:30 am

Considering the level of comprehension of anything by the drones this is a good sign, I think.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:33 am

I bloody hate journalism.

"Only 1 in 5 Americans believe in pure accept unguided, mechanical evolution as a fact – and that's an upswing"

:fify:

?

I thought we had a FIFY smiley?
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:33 am

I note that there was no survey option along the lines of:

Human beings evolved from less advanced life forms over millions of years, and God did not directly guide this process, because the fucker does not exist!
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:36 am

Animavore wrote:I bloody hate journalism.

"Only 1 in 5 Americans believe in pure accept unguided, mechanical evolution as a fact – and that's an upswing"

:fify:

?

I thought we had a fixed smiley?
:fix:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Animavore wrote:I bloody hate journalism.

Precisely. It doesn't require belief. Stupid jouralists. :roll:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."