pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Lectures: Intro to Human Behavioral Biology

Post by pErvinalia » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Robert_S wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:
mistermack wrote:I don't get it.

Practically everything we buy is coming from China, and yet classes full of people are studying Human Behavioral Biology.
No wonder there is a trade deficit.

I wonder how many Chinese are studying Human Behavioral Biology?
Probably millions.
I don't see what you're on about mistermack?
I don't think you're alone. :coffee:

(bookmarking)
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Tyrannical, putting the Evil back in Evilution :hehe:
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Eugenics by any other name would smell as sweet (or not) dependant on your perspective and political leaning. :coffee:
What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:02 pm

mistermack wrote:
Robert_S wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:
mistermack wrote:I don't get it.

Practically everything we buy is coming from China, and yet classes full of people are studying Human Behavioral Biology.
No wonder there is a trade deficit.

I wonder how many Chinese are studying Human Behavioral Biology?
Probably millions.
I don't see what you're on about mistermack?
Human behavioral biology? What's the fucking point?
How many actually go on to do useful work in that field? I'm on about the huge numbers of people doing useless degrees.
Having watched the first ten minutes, I already know that it will be pragmatically useful to me in working to improve coordination between people in work.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Scrumple wrote:Eugenics by any other name would smell as sweet (or not) dependant on your perspective and political leaning. :coffee:
What's the problem with eugenics? It was a widely accepted scientific field until Hitler ruined it. It fell out of favor not because it was thought wrong, but because it could be used for evil.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:30 pm

I can't remember which lecture it was, but he was talking about these two rat populations.

They had been bread, one set selected for being laid back, the other for being skittish. But one skeptical woman didn't believe there was a genetic component to the skittishness. In one experiment, she took the unborn rats, right after they had been born and swapped them between mothers. It turns out that they still had the traits they inherited from their genetic family.

In another experiment, the little buggers were switched shortly after they had been conceived. The rats of skittish parents were placed in the wombs of laid back mothers and vice versa. The rats had the same traits as the mother they spent time in the womb of. Pre nurns out that pre-nnatal environment plays a larger role in inherited traits than previously thought.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:50 pm

Whoa. Now that's insteresting. I'd known that the mother's hormones influenced the developing fetus, but not to that extent.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:34 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domesticated_silver_fox

Interesting read on how the Russians domesticated the silver fox.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:36 am

Do you think we might be able to domesticate the black man, T?
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:27 am

rEvolutionist wrote:Do you think we might be able to domesticate the black man, T?
Most definitely. All it should take is a eugenics backed sterilization program starting with the prison population and most severe welfare users. But something like that isn't our responsibility which is why I prefer an enforced back to Africa emigration program.
Or was this not a serious question :ask:

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:09 am

I'm always serious.