First eyes appeared 700 million years ago

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

First eyes appeared 700 million years ago

Post by klr » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:51 am

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/10/30 ... _of_sight/
First eyes EVER SEEN (by definition) appeared 700 million years ago

Here's looking at you, jellyfish

By Brid-Aine Parnell • Get more from this author
Posted in Science, 30th October 2012 14:29 GMT

Animals were seeing stuff a lot earlier than previously thought, a new study suggests.

When exactly the ability to see evolved in animals has been hotly contested among boffins, but researchers from Bristol and Maynooth universities reckon a group of marine animals first "saw" the light 700 million years ago.

Using computer modelling, the scientists figured out how and when opsins evolved in a group of marine animals including jellyfish, which are considered to have had the world's earliest eyes. Opsins are the protein receptors which confer the ability to sense light in all animals that have had sight throughout time.

The program used data from every hypothesis of opsin evolution to date as well as all the available genomic information from a recently discovered group of sponges called Oscarella carmela and Cnidarians, or jellyfish.

The team, from Bristol Uni's School of Earth Sciences and National University of Ireland Maynooth, now reckon that an opsin ancestor common to all the group started showing up 700 million years ago. That opsin was 'blind' but over the next 11 million years it evolved genetically to allow it to detect light.

"The great relevance of our study is that we traced the earliest origin of vision and we found that it originated only once in animals," Dr Davide Pisani of Bristol said. "This is an astonishing discovery because it implies that our study uncovered, in consequence, how and when vision evolved in humans."

The study was published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). ®
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: First eyes appeared 700 million years ago

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:04 pm

"So, those eyes just POPPED into existence?" /fundie.

Interesting that eyes are a one-off, and we might not have them. I'm sure animals would have developed "something else" if eyes weren't available. I wonder what that would have been? :thinks:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:10 pm

Cue for one of the great Darwin quotes out of context:

To suppose that the eye, with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest possible degree.

The cretinists omit the next bit:

Yet reason tells me, that if numerous gradations from a perfect and complex eye to one very imperfect and simple, each grade being useful to its possessor, can be shown to exist; if further, the eye does vary ever so slightly, and the variations be inherited, which is certainly the case; and if any variation or modification in the organ be ever useful to an animal under changing conditions of life, then the difficulty of believing that a perfect and complex eye could be formed by natural selection, though insuperable by our imagination, can hardly be considered real. How a nerve comes to be sensitive to light, hardly concerns us more than how life itself first originated; but I may remark that several facts make me suspect that any sensitive nerve may be rendered sensitive to light, and likewise to those coarser vibrations of the air which produce sound.

Maybe they just don't like long sentences ...
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:13 pm

No, they lie.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Tero
Just saying
About me: 15-32-25

Post by Tero » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:54 pm

What's interesting about mammal and other eyes is that they connect directly to the brain. It does not go through the spinal cord. Yet the light sensitive spots were on the skin. Like in planaria.

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:40 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:"So, those eyes just POPPED into existence?" /fundie.

Interesting that eyes are a one-off, and we might not have them. I'm sure animals would have developed "something else" if eyes weren't available. I wonder what that would have been? :thinks:
I always thought that the eye evolved independently in many different lineages, but a quick search suggests that it was lenses that did that. I need to read more into this.... :thinks:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:54 pm

It isn't complicated. God did it. :freak:

odysseus

Post by odysseus » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:56 pm

Rum wrote:It isn't complicated. God did it. :freak:

Yes. Yes. Sorry.... :oops:

Horwood Beer-Master
"...a complete Kentish hog"
Location: Wandering somewhere around the Darenth Valley - Kent

Post by Horwood Beer-Master » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:19 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:"So, those eyes just POPPED into existence?" /fundie.

I'm pretty certain animals on this planet would have developed eyes.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 pm

In reality, the research is not about the first eyes, but about the first light detecting cells, and the pigments that allowed this to occur...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Berthold

Post by Berthold » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Tero wrote:What's interesting about mammal and other eyes is that they connect directly to the brain. It does not go through the spinal cord. Yet the light sensitive spots were on the skin. Like in planaria.
Well, the epidermis as well as the nervous system are derived from the ectoderm, if I remember my school biology correctly.