How to stun a fundy.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

How to stun a fundy.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:06 pm

We went to the Creation Experience Museum of the Ozarks last weekend. (Just last week? :fp:) There one of the muppets engaged PZed in a debate rather similar in scale to Lesotho attacking California.

However, at one point he said something that I had to come back and talk to him about later. He had a coprolite in a little box and said words to the effect that there's no way "soft material" like that could fossilize, so it must have been put there by the creator. After PZ was done with him I slid over and took him I could describe a perfectly reasonable scenario for the fossilization of poop. When I visited Yellowstone a few decades back I happened to witness a mud flow, hot mud from a geyser thingy that ran across a road near where we were staying. The mud had swamped a picnic area and the Rangers were assessing the situation. One of them pointed to the rim of a trash barrel, sticking about six inches up from the mud, and said, "A million years from now, somebody will be studying the trash in there for their Ph.D."

I remembered this when I talked to the fundy and pointed out that a turd encapsulated in hot mud would be baked, killed bacteria and stopping decay. The mud would protect it from external forces and if the fossilization process proceeded we'd have a sample just like the one in his box. He nodded and smiled.

A few minutes later I heard him give his original spiel about the coprolite to a new batch of people, not changed one wit. :bored:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Feck

Re: How to stun a fundy.

Post by Feck » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Sharply jab a thumb into their throat just below the Adams apple , it may not stun them but it will shut them up for a while .
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:24 pm

Feck wrote:Sharply jab a thumb into their throat just below the Adams apple , it may not stun them but it will shut them up for a while .
FBM approves of this post.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:26 pm

Feck wrote:Sharply jab a thumb into their throat just below the Adams apple , it may not stun them but it will shut them up for a while .
I got 85 minutes of PZed talking to the staff there. They were staggering when he left. (There were several other people pitching in, every time a staffer said something stupid he was so informed.) :holcheer:

GenesForLife
Bertie Wooster

Post by GenesForLife » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:46 pm

Thumb with an Iguanodon thumbspike :tup:

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm slightly disappointed that you expected reason Zilla.

Jason
Destroyer of words

Post by Jason » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:54 pm

:eddy:

Horwood Beer-Master
"...a complete Kentish hog"
Location: Wandering somewhere around the Darenth Valley - Kent

Post by Horwood Beer-Master » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:51 am

Gawdzilla wrote:How to stun a fundy.
Taser? Or maybe just a piece of exposed live-wire?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:01 am

What? no tasering?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:07 am

It was cool to see them with a room full of baby-eaters, and three times that many waiting outside. :funny:

Schneibster
Asker of inconvenient questions
About me: I hate cranks.

Post by Schneibster » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:08 am

Religion is a jealous memeplex.
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. -Daniel Patrick Moynihan
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson

Geoff
Pouncer

Post by Geoff » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:09 am

Gawdzilla wrote:We went to the Creation Experience Museum of the Ozarks last weekend. (Just last week? :fp:) There one of the muppets engaged PZed in a debate rather similar in scale to Lesotho attacking California.
I hope you followed PZ's advice on how to behave while you were there:

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/index.php?page=3
Be polite and nondisruptive. This is their property and you are a visitor.

Remember: the Christians running this show, and the Christian attendees, are the delusional victims here. Feel some pity for them.

Do not, however, forget that this is an institution dedicated to promoting lies and ignorance. Do not pull a Michael Ruse and start admiring what they've accomplished.

Do not loudly insult the gift shop, if they have one. They hate that — that was the one thing that made the goons at our last #creozerg snap.

Do not have gay sex on the exhibits.

Document. Take notes and photographs. Your goal is to come away from this with a better understanding of what the promulgators of ignorance are teaching, and to spread the word about their folly afterwards.

Converse. One of the cool things about these trips is that you're in a large group of critical thinkers, many of whom may have expertise on the subjects being mangled by the exhibits. Ask questions. Learn stuff.

Just to be on the safe side, you probably shouldn't have heterosexual sex on the exhibits, either.

Be in the right frame of mind: you are not a gang of hooligans planning to vandalize the place, you are skeptical anthropologists there to observe the peculiar and pathological folkways of a backwards, intellectually impoverished people.
"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:14 am

I sent PZed the footage I took, and shared it with Rob Lehr from Skepticon as well. I imagine they'll have youtubes of it available before long.

This guy was across the street.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:17 am

I was on the other side of this guy, with my back to the window. You can see me in some of the shots.

John_fi_Skye
About me: I'm a sentimental old git. I'm a mawkish old bastard.

Post by John_fi_Skye » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:30 am

I'm a bit disappointed. I thought this thread was about how to fund a study. The study I wanted to fund was to be about spoonerisms.
Pray, do not mock me: I am a very foolish fond old man; And, to deal plainly, I fear I am not in my perfect mind.

Blah blah blah blah blah!

Memo to self: no Lir chocolates.

Life is glorious.