Sex on the new forum

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Mephistopheles

Re: Sex on the new forum

Post by Mephistopheles » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:16 am

They are pretty strict over there. Someone posted a haiku containing "oral sex" and the mod had to remove it.

I suppose I'm fine with them keeping it cleaner there...as long as Rats and TAF don't go the same route.

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Post by lordpasternack » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:26 am

It sounds a bit uptight if you ask me - certainly not rational as such, and more in line with the irrational sex-phobic attitude displayed by Abrahamic religious groups. Certainly not what I'd expect from a group of proclaimed rationalists/skeptics/freethinkers - particularly when there's no real 'pragmatic' reason for it that's immediately apparent to me... Still, I'm all for them self-determining the nature of their own group.
Then they for sudden joy did weep,
And I for sorrow sung,
That such a king should play bo-peep,
And go the fools among.
Prithee, nuncle, keep a schoolmaster that can teach
thy fool to lie: I would fain learn to lie.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:29 am

klr wrote:I have no problem with them using the existing rules as a starting point. It's the easiest way to get moving. From thereon in, it's up to them to decide where to go. I am neutral on this. I won't pass any comments here about people over there, especially seeing as I'm a member in both forums, as are many other people. If I do have something in any way critical to say about the running or RatSkept, I will most likely say it over there, where it matters.

The new forum has only been up about 10 days, and already people are trying to create some sort of rivalry or discord between the two where none need exist. :nono: Bad idea, and leave me out of it thanks. We got a a lot of goodwill out of the way we handled the sudden influx of people looking to make a new start after they'd been shafted. I'd prefer to keep that goodwill on our balance sheet. [/accountancy speak]

Anyway, if it's just "RD.net minus RD," then what's the problem with that? :dono: Most people at RD.net were quite happy with the rules all things considered, but the high-level power structure failed them. If they want to reconstruct that sort of forum, but under their own control, then good luck to them. For RD.net and RatSkept, you could just as easily substitute TAF and Rationalia. :coffee:

:tup: :tup:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:19 am

devogue wrote:http://www.rationalskepticism.org/feedb ... t1782.html

I'm honestly not trying to flame or anything. I just want to discover the vibe of the new forum.
Getting a sense of Déjà vu yet?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:26 am

Their loss, in my opinion. :dono:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:05 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:I am too - especially now that many who decried or looked down at us before and said 'Good riddance' apparently rethought this broad-brush appraisal and came here after the debacle - some even apologetic for their behaviour back in '08. They've seen this place first-hand, and if anyone can't see the balance here that I think is uniquely reflective of ALL facets of us as humans and social creatures, then I think they do us a disservice bordering on the offensive. It's a little hurtful if we're going to be stereotyped on a single aspect.

I worry that Ratz will be painted as the whore a man goes to to satisfy his basest carnal desires because he doesn't want to defile his pristine wife with them.

Edit: grammar
:lol: :lol: :lol:

It is exactly that sort of post I have missed in recent days...

Even brings back memories of basest carnal desires... 8-)
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood
About me: Downloading an app to my necktop

Post by Mysturji » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:38 am

They're a bunch of prudes.
Fuck 'em.
Bella Fortuna wrote:I am too - especially now that many who decried or looked down at us before and said 'Good riddance' apparently rethought this broad-brush appraisal and came here after the debacle - some even apologetic for their behaviour back in '08. They've seen this place first-hand, and if anyone can't see the balance here that I think is uniquely reflective of ALL facets of us as humans and social creatures, then I think they do us a disservice bordering on the offensive. It's a little hurtful if we're going to be stereotyped on a single aspect.

I worry that Ratz will be painted as the whore a man goes to to satisfy his basest carnal desires because he doesn't want to defile his pristine wife with them.

Edit: grammar
++
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.

CJ

Post by CJ » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:36 am

klr wrote:I have no problem with them using the existing rules as a starting point. It's the easiest way to get moving. From thereon in, it's up to them to decide where to go. I am neutral on this. I won't pass any comments here about people over there, especially seeing as I'm a member in both forums, as are many other people. If I do have something in any way critical to say about the running or RatSkept, I will most likely say it over there, where it matters.

The new forum has only been up about 10 days, and already people are trying to create some sort of rivalry or discord between the two where none need exist. :nono: Bad idea, and leave me out of it thanks. We got a a lot of goodwill out of the way we handled the sudden influx of people looking to make a new start after they'd been shafted. I'd prefer to keep that goodwill on our balance sheet. [/accountancy speak]

Anyway, if it's just "RD.net minus RD," then what's the problem with that? :dono: Most people at RD.net were quite happy with the rules all things considered, but the high-level power structure failed them. If they want to reconstruct that sort of forum, but under their own control, then good luck to them. For RD.net and RatSkept, you could just as easily substitute TAF and Rationalia. :coffee:
I agree with Kevin on this in that there is no need whatsoever for any animosity at all between the two groups as each individual will can spend time on either forum as they wish. We are not competing we are complimenting each other. If some of them start commenting on Ratz in a derogatory manner then I might take up those comments on a specific basis but otherwise live and let live is the only sustainable way to behave.

Xeno

Post by Xeno » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:39 am

I support this. As Alan
said also, I appreciate the opportunity to be part of both fora and recognise and adapt to their differences without needing to switch off any views of mine. From that point of view I find schismatic posts rather silly.
Friar Barnadine: Thou has committed--
Barabas: Fornication! But what was in another country; and besides, the wench is dead.
(Marlowe)

CJ

Post by CJ » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:41 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:Their loss, in my opinion. :dono:
That is also true, but it's for that group to find it's own dynamic, frankly at the moment there where Ratz was after OBC had his melt down. They need to settle and find their culture, which may well mellow in the future but only time will tell.

CJ

Post by CJ » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:43 am

Alan C wrote:I like both places. In my mind I go there for a bit of learning and watch fundies get shredded and here for a bit of fun.

:begging:
Spot on, each place has it's own benefits and I choose to take the best from both.

starr
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by starr » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:40 am

CJ wrote:

I agree with Kevin on this in that there is no need whatsoever for any animosity at all between the two groups as each individual will can spend time on either forum as they wish. We are not competing we are complimenting each other. If some of them start commenting on Ratz in a derogatory manner then I might take up those comments on a specific basis but otherwise live and let live is the only sustainable way to behave.
@klr and CJ :flowers:

I don't really know why any of you would get your knickers in a twist about this quite frankly. :dono:

I find it amusing that some of you immediately start flinging around labels such as 'prudes' etc. Do you really think I am a prude after having seen some of my offerings here on Rationalia? :roll: Come on now.. seriously? :razzle:

It is OK for different fora to have different rules and different atmospheres. Complimenting each other is a very good way to put it. Do you really want Ratskep to be a clone of Rationalia? Isn't it good that people are likely to still want to visit both places? :think: :dono:

Is this some kind of issue where some of you still need closure after the Oct 08 schism? If the ex-RDF community somehow turned into a semen tasting, anal-fisting orgy then there would be vindication at last? :dono: I don't get it. Sex can be discussed here at Rationalia in a multitude of ways ranging from intellectual ponderings to absolute depravity. Why do some of you feel it is so important to be able to hold similar discussions at rationalskepticism? :dono:
Always in the mood for a little bit of nonsense...
rationalskepticism.org

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:42 am

We want to spread our depravity everywhere until the world is a slobbering cesspit of immorality.

:hehe:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

starr
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by starr » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:45 am

Animavore wrote:We want to spread our depravity everywhere until the world is a slobbering cesspit of immorality.

I miss you Ani :cuddle: :qoti: :flowers:
Always in the mood for a little bit of nonsense...
rationalskepticism.org

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:47 am

starr wrote:
Animavore wrote:We want to spread our depravity everywhere until the world is a slobbering cesspit of immorality.

I miss you Ani :cuddle: :qoti: :flowers:
I miss you too :tears: :hugs:

PS. I actually don't care that they kept the rules. They wanted a home away from home. Let them have it.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.