Outraged atheists lose faith in Dawkins as he censors websit

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449

Ironclad
I feel nekkid.
About me: Hadean.

Re: Outraged atheists lose faith in Dawkins as he censors websit

Post by Ironclad » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:58 pm

The forum’s implosion has been jumped on by Christian groups as a sign that the Dawkins community is not as free-thinking as it is claimed.
I have yet to see this. Anyone have linky linky?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsgoXvnStY

Nidor meus caseus vos matris  

Ilovelucy

Post by Ilovelucy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:59 pm

The change was scheduled for next month but such was the torrent of abuse after the announcement that the forum had to be locked down, deepening the rift between Professor Dawkins and his 85,000 online fans.
Wow, so after interviewing Peter and reading his and other blogs, this part is still reported as unchallenged fact. :tdown:
Forums are interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:01 pm

Ilovelucy wrote:
The change was scheduled for next month but such was the torrent of abuse after the announcement that the forum had to be locked down, deepening the rift between Professor Dawkins and his 85,000 online fans.
Wow, so after interviewing Peter and reading his and other blogs, this part is still reported as unchallenged fact. :tdown:
Looks like another round of comment posting is required. :pissed:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Heresiarch
About me: Formerly known as Heresiarch.

Post by Heresiarch » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:03 pm

Ironclad wrote:
The forum’s implosion has been jumped on by Christian groups as a sign that the Dawkins community is not as free-thinking as it is claimed.
I have yet to see this. Anyone have linky linky?
Whenever a member of the fourth estate writes an almost quote like this and gives it no attribution, it's almost certainly made up by the journalist and bears no relation to anything in reality.
The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that
believe in it. Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that
believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't.
-- Honest Book of Truth; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1

95Theses

Post by 95Theses » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:04 pm

Am i right in thinking becasue it says 'From : The Times' at the top that this is going to be in the published paper tomorrow?
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell.

Ilovelucy

Post by Ilovelucy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 pm

I think that there is a glaring factual inaccuracy in every paragraph.
Unwilling to be silenced, however, the members of the website and the 15 moderators, some of whom worked unpaid, vented their own outrage elsewhere.
Some of whom worked unpaid? Some?

Ilovelucy

Post by Ilovelucy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:06 pm

95Theses wrote:Am i right in thinking becasue it says 'From : The Times' at the top that this is going to be in the published paper tomorrow?
Yep. It's made the print media of the national press.

We are very excited.

MissingNo.
Cheese is christ

Post by MissingNo. » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:07 pm

So (according to them), the forum members were upset because the format was being changed from an arena of freely-exchanged ideas and discussions to a heavily moderated comment section and this is evidence that the community isn't freethinking how?

klr

Post by klr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 pm

Ilovelucy wrote:I think that there is a glaring factual inaccuracy in every paragraph.
Unwilling to be silenced, however, the members of the website and the 15 moderators, some of whom worked unpaid, vented their own outrage elsewhere.
Some of whom worked unpaid? Some?
Is the sentence "None of us forum staff ever received so much as a single red cent you gobshites" clear enough? :evil:

I see the co-authors are Hannah Devlin and Ruth Gledhill. I guess they still haven't caught up with events.

Something for us all to work on. :eddy:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

95Theses

Post by 95Theses » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 pm

Blimey

One wonders if perhaps this has gone a bit too far.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell.

Feck

Post by Feck » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:14 pm

Rationalia called "elsewhere" :nono: tell the truth call us" A forum set up LAST time RD pulled a stunt like this " Please play "If you tolerate this" by the manics :ddpan:
:hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog: :hoverdog:
Give me the wine , I don't need the bread

klr

Post by klr » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:18 pm

95Theses wrote:Blimey

Not far enough. Not until the press get the message about what actually went down, and RD is given a torrid time by Jeremy Paxman in a BBC Newsnight interview. :coffee:

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Not according to the Times Online I guess. :ddpan:

Has anyone bothered to contact any other papers? Now that these two stories have run in one major newspaper, it might be worthwhile to be pro-active and go to some other newspapers. Immediately what comes to my mind are the Huffington Post, Alternet, SF Examiner and the LA Times as being interested in a story like this.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

Ilovelucy

Post by Ilovelucy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 pm

klr wrote:

Not far enough. Not until the press get the message about what actually went down, and RD is given a torrid time by Jeremy Paxman in a BBC Newsnight interview. :coffee:
I do love how this keeps blowing up though. It goes from Pharygula, to the newspaper blogs, to the newspapers themselves, and every time we jump in to fill the comments page with corrections. I have a feeling that Josh and Chalkers didn't expect, or want, this to blow up this big when they made their dodgy moves. Their attempt at suppressing the story have backfired somewhat. As angry as the inaccuracies make me, I have a feeling that the other side are a lot unhappier than we are about all this attention. Peter, I hope you've got the right bandwidth for this monster!