Saved RDF threads - thank you

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
M
Arm wrestling champion

Re: Announcement about RDF Part 2.

Post by M » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:44 pm

Peter Harrison wrote:I've copied a bunch of formal debates, and posts from the Reptile Threads parts 1-3. And I managed to screen capture various things before the dodgy, cowardly censorship by the turd-burgler.
Thank gawd Pete got the snakes out. But please tell me the spiders got left behind.
Bloody Greta Garbo

life

Re: Announcement about RDF

Post by life » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:25 am

NineBerry wrote:I will try to make sure no content is lost. I already got 2% of all public content. Will take some days to get everything in a fair way (so not to stress the rd.net server)
Haha! Noble you! I know of at least 2 people who are hammering the servers for hours right now...and still going strong :plot:

num1cubfn
About me: Formerly known as num1cubfn.

Re: Saved RDF threads - thank you!

Post by num1cubfn » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:27 am

I'd like a copy of the forums if you are able to distribute it. 10 gigs is well worth all that was there.
Use your computer's idle time to cure cancer!
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Be sure to join our folding team! Team # 182116

RPizzle

Post by RPizzle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:30 am

num1cubfn wrote:I'd like a copy of the forums if you are able to distribute it. 10 gigs is well worth all that was there.
+1.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:32 am

RPizzle wrote:
num1cubfn wrote:I'd like a copy of the forums if you are able to distribute it. 10 gigs is well worth all that was there.
+1.
There may, or may not, be a URL available when the whole thing is done. You never know. :levi:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

davo

Post by davo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:37 am

Gudday, how was this archived? Using wget or similar to mirror?

I run a number of servers in Australia, the US and in Germany. I can host a static archive of the site not a problem (server with 8gig ram, i7-920 Quadcore, over 1.5 terabytes storage etc etc)

If there was effort to get the database and files, that may make other options such as migration to vbulletin and things like load balancing techniques etc. There must be heaps of atheist techs around that would be willing to coordinate

EDIT: it may be easier just one server pulling a full static mirror down, than everyone trying too .. I could do so that all links were made local to the new location etc effectively replicating it exactly, except for .html extensions on pages np
Last edited by davo on Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood
About me: Downloading an app to my necktop

Post by Mysturji » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:39 am

life wrote:Hey.

Got most of the forum saved for offline viewing (almost done).
Anyone interested? Several gigs so far...

I'll see if I can include a fulltext search function.

Unfortunately though, I couldn't save anything from those accounts that got deleted prior to my backup, obviously :(
Even better than the real thing! :funny:
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:49 am

We should be careful in what we do with the contents.

In my opinion it is legitimate for former forum posters to get access to it.

But I don't think it would be a good idea to publish it widely and freely at the moment. There are posts by tens of thousands of different users in there. These users agreed that their posts would be published on rd.net. But they did not agree that their posts would be published elsewhere.

Also, RDF has some rights on that collection of posts. They could use legal means to stop public availability.

So, I think, access should only be available on demand, for former forum members.

It is certainly clear, that we must make sure the full package is published a hundred years from now so that our grand-grand-children can amuse themselves over Robert Byers and all the other creationists' ideas. :D

life

Post by life » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:00 am

I'll go catch some sleep, nice to see others are trying to backup as well.
I've looked at my backup attempt and it's still incomplete, not much left though, I'll do the rest tomorrow, let's hope the site is still online then...

Mr.Samsa

Post by Mr.Samsa » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:04 am

Well they are deleting the forum in 29 days time - once they do that, surely they have no rights over the content since there will be no content left?
“The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. The mystery which surrounds a thinking machine already surrounds a thinking man.” - B. F. Skinner.

life

Post by life » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:08 am

Mr.Samsa wrote:Well they are deleting the forum in 29 days time - once they do that, surely they have no rights over the content since there will be no content left?
I'm not too sure they'll stick to their 30days-formula.
Something like "Too much traffic on the boards now, we changed our minds (yet again) and took it down" doesn't sound too far-fetched in my ears...

davo

Post by davo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:14 am

NineBerry wrote: But I don't think it would be a good idea to publish it widely and freely at the moment. There are posts by tens of thousands of different users in there. These users agreed that their posts would be published on rd.net. But they did not agree that their posts would be published elsewhere.
Just on this topic, archive.org wayback machine does just that.

I would argue it would come under 'fair use' even with copyright, as a legitimate archive for research purposes amongst other reasons.
Also, RDF has some rights on that collection of posts. They could use legal means to stop public availability.
What is to stop taking down the material if asked? Specific objections can always be sent over copyright, just like any other archiving site.

http://www.archive.org/about/faqs.php#20

davo

Post by davo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:16 am

life wrote: I'm not too sure they'll stick to their 30days-formula.
Something like "Too much traffic on the boards now, we changed our minds (yet again) and took it down" doesn't sound too far-fetched in my ears...
From what I have seen of the many people taking copies I would not be surprised, the bandwidth usage will be huge.

recursive prophet

Post by recursive prophet » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:17 am

AWESOME, Nineberry!! I was just looking at one of the most active threads in RDF history-which has all 7k posts linked on TalkRational-and thinking what a loss it would be to the history of this historic thread. (It now has over 30k replies on TR) I can't thank you enough for taking the time to save all that. You've got one lifetime fan for you efforts for certain, and I suspect the gratitude of thousands. :clap: :clap: ImageImage

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:17 am

Ah well, international laws tend to be a bit more lax on these issues. German law is a bit stricter AFAIAA, so I tend to be rather careful. But even better if we can make it available to anyone :biggrin: