Saved RDF threads - thank you

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Re: Saved RDF threads - thank you!

Post by NineBerry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:39 am

Charlou wrote: Nineberry, can I edit your op to add the download link?
Permission granted.

charlou
arseist

Re: Announcement about RDF

Post by charlou » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:18 am

Cheers, and done. :tup:
no fences

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:45 pm

Could you fix the thread title? You kaputted it.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:43 pm

NineBerry wrote:Could you fix the thread title? You kaputted it.
Image ooops, was distracted ...
Charlou wrote:Cheers, and done. :tup:
Take two.
no fences

THWOTH

Post by THWOTH » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:52 pm

lordpasternack wrote:I cannot express in words my debt of gratitude to the hard work of all you guys who are working to archive that forum. I think we should club together and maybe get some small gifts for those concerned. You really are gems. :cheers: :hugs:
Yeah. Well done NineB. You should get a key to the Rationalia executive mini-bar now! :td:

anthonzi

Post by anthonzi » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:32 am

THWOTH wrote: Yeah. Well done NineB. You should get a key to the Rationalia executive mini-bar now! :td:
Well our work is only half-done. We still need to find a way to extract bits of the fallen from the Abyss. I was thinking if we hurry we could use Google caches, but I don't have the technical skills to harvest things automatically.

http://www.google.com/search?q=+site:fo ... CEIQrQIwAA

fuck you & fuck your god
About me: aka mechtheist
Off my meds again

Re: Saved RDF threads - thank you

Post by fuck you & fuck your god » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:46 am

The below was posted on rationalskepticism, I'm putting here also in case anyone interested. If ya'll think it needs more prominent location, please move:

It's been mentioned elsewhere but maybe it needs a more prominent location (I looked but did not find a separate thread or announcement for this, sorry if there is already one). NineBerry has done a great job and compiled a near complete copy of the old forum, it can be found here in a .rar file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/224795/RD/Full-RDF.rar

I have made another copy available here-right click, save link:
http://fyandfyg.com/Full-RDF.rar

For those who can't deal with a .rar file, there is a zip:
http://fyandfyg.com/phoenix.zip
This is a huge file, 1.4 GB, it may get squirrelly unzipping, your mileage may vary.
It is recommended that you go with the .rar file as it is half the size. If you do not have the ability to work with .rar files, go here and download 7zip, a very handy free file archiver that works with a butt-load of formats.

If you are not interested in downloading the whole site,you can go to
http://beyondyourken.com/phoenix/

here on the Users page, it's a long list-give your browser time to get all the data, you will find a link to a page that contains, on one page, a list of every thread you have posted to with a list of links to every post you have made to that thread. This is also the same as the downloadable version. The online version has some pages missing, sorry, there was not room for all the pages, less than 10% are missing. If you need a page that is missing, you can PM me I can get that to you. This is decidedly easier to deal with than the ego search at RDnet. There is a list links to each of the forums that takes you to a list of links to all the threads started in that forum.

If anyone has any questions or recommendations on how to make this more useful, please inform.
Image Image Image
Is life not a hundred times too short for us to stifle ourselves--Nietzsche

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:36 am

fuck you & fuck your god wrote:The online version has some pages missing, sorry, there was not room for all the pages, less than 10% are missing. If you need a page that is missing, you can PM me I can get that to you.
You should deactivate the Apache module "mod_speling" for this part of the server, because the module being active, the server is trying to be too clever. E.g. ehen you want to view "1234-1.html", but it is not there, but "1243-1.html" is there, then the server will display that. That can lead to confusion, so please deactivate spelling correction for that part of the server.

Also I would like to remind everyone that I can create packages containing only the threads of one user. These are much smaller. E.g. here is a package with all threads that user "kope" had participated in: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/224795/RD/RDF-kope-72642.zip It's fun reading.

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 am

Oh, and here's a collection of Robert Byers' contributions: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/224795/RD/RDF-R ... -33353.zip

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:57 am

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this NineBerry. You've undertaken to do for the RDF community something Josh Timonen couldn't be arsed to do for months, and that is give the membership ready access to the post history of their forum.
no fences

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:18 am

Charlou wrote:I can't tell you how much I appreciate this NineBerry. You've undertaken to do for the RDF community something Josh Timonen couldn't be arsed to do for months, and that is give the membership ready access to the post history of their forum.
Seconded. :td:

I think Nineberry and anyone else who's done this deserves a special award. Can we strike a special internet medal for them? Our equivalent of the Victoria Cross ... :dq:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

NineBerry
Tame Wolf

Post by NineBerry » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:31 pm

klr wrote: I think Nineberry and anyone else who's done this deserves a special award. Can we strike a special internet medal for them? Our equivalent of the Victoria Cross ... :dq:
I am not in favor of medals and so forth. But a good start would be spelling my name correctly :biggrin:

klr

Post by klr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:33 pm

NineBerry wrote:
klr wrote: I think Nineberry and anyone else who's done this deserves a special award. Can we strike a special internet medal for them? Our equivalent of the Victoria Cross ... :dq:
I am not in favor of medals and so forth. But a good start would be spelling my name correctly :biggrin:
:what:

I don't believe in case sensitivity. That sort of thing is for all you unix and liNux types. :Erasb:

And all you iPod and iPhone lovers. :hmph:

:funny:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:40 pm

NineBerry, no matter what, we lubs you for all the work you have done in salvaging what can be saved and making it availble to us.

Unfortunately, I have a problem downloading the rar file (using M$ Pro and IE8). Twice the download proceeded well until it got to the 42% and 44% mark respectively, and then terminated, claiming that it was 100% done. Can anyone help me overcoming that problem?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

klr

Post by klr » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Seraph wrote:NineBerry, no matter what, we lubs you for all the work you have done in salvaging what can be saved and making it availble to us.

Unfortunately, I have a problem downloading the rar file (using M$ Pro and IE8). Twice the download proceeded well until it got to the 42% and 44% mark respectively, and then terminated, claiming that it was 100% done. Can anyone help me overcoming that problem?
I had no problems with Firefox. Have you tried that, or maybe a third-party download manager? :ask: