Saved RDF threads - thank you

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly
About me: Destroyer of canards, and merciless shredder of bad ideas. :twisted:

Re: Saved RDF threads - thank you!

Post by Calilasseia » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:20 pm

Part 5:

Harnessing Evolution In The Lab

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/viewtop ... 05#p961905

There is a God

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/viewtop ... 8#p1240478

What's wrong with ID?

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/viewtop ... 64#p778664

How would you respond to these arguments?

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/viewtop ... 21#p562121

Michael Behe's motivation?

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/viewtop ... 98#p595198

Flood debate comment thread [MASSIVE 8,611 post epic destroying every piecec of Flud tard]

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/viewtop ... 29#p143629

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly

Post by Calilasseia » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:24 pm

Late update - some comedy threads in need of preserving!

Moon Landing Woo [Comedy classic!]

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/viewtop ... 3#p2117753

Cheese Covered Sticks Fun And Frolics!

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/viewtop ... 2#p2126772

The Aquarium Ornament Débacle

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/viewtop ... 1#p1866431

The Ass Raping Space Lizards Thread!

http://forum.richarddawkins.net/viewtop ... 8#p2203978

ED209

Post by ED209 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Rather than further slowing down that rickety old shitheap (dozy cunt couldn't keep the website working, and now he actively destroys the content?) by saving down individual threads am I alone in standing back and allowing life, Nineberry and the other experts from performing a systematic backup? That would seem to be the best course of action to me, but what do I know :?

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly

Post by Calilasseia » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:32 pm

Well if Nineberry is archiving the entire lot, the above can then be used to provide some means of homing in on some of the material that some here might be particularly keen to keep. :)

MedGen
Primordial Booze
About me: Bad breath: check
Slightly camp: check
Ghastly wife: check

Must be British.

Post by MedGen » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:37 pm

I'd very much appreciate being sent a copy of the forum once it's backed up. There's just too many threads to remember which ones to pull off.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

If having an identity is to have an essence, I do not have an identity. My sense of self it too varied and contextual - Kenneth Strike

Calilasseia
Butterfly
Butterfly

Post by Calilasseia » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:45 pm

Since it's going to be 10 gigs when it's finished, it'll take up 2 DVD-Rs and a CD at the very least - it'll be a 3 disc set. And that's just the raw data. If it's organised to facilitate searching, then you can add another 500 MB to that at least. Which means it's best distributed to interested individuals via snail mail. Best thing to do would be for interested individuals to send contact details to Nineberry via PM once he's completed the archiving, then arrange mail swaps. And, since he's likely to be sending a few disc sets out to interested people, it might be a good idea for everyone to send him a 5 Euro money order to cover blank DVDs and postage, or make a donation to a PayPal account if he has one. But organising this can be dealt with later once he has the data safe. :)

ED209

Post by ED209 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:56 pm

I think only a couple of people at most need DVD media at first, so long as one of them as decent upload speed and doesn't mind seeding the shit out of that backup file.

As soon as a few former members have downloaded it, then I'm sure folk will be able and willing to post copies out to those without decent internet. I'll happily post a few sets of DVDs locally out at my own expense, and that last guy on dial-up in Timbuktu will be able to paypal someone for postage I'm sure. I assume there'll be a DVD request thread to follow the torrent tracker thread (or this will become those threads in time).

Spearthrower

Post by Spearthrower » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:06 pm

ED209 wrote:I think only a couple of people at most need DVD media at first, so long as one of them as decent upload speed and doesn't mind seeding the shit out of that backup file.

As soon as a few former members have downloaded it, then I'm sure folk will be able and willing to post copies out to those without decent internet. I'll happily post a few sets of DVDs locally out at my own expense, and that last guy on dial-up in Timbuktu will be able to paypal someone for postage I'm sure. I assume there'll be a DVD request thread to follow the torrent tracker thread (or this will become those threads in time).

I'll happily cough up postage, packaging, disc cost, labour costs, price of tea consumed while downloading the thing, proportion of electricity bill.... just put me down for one! :tup:

ED209

Post by ED209 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:31 pm

Spearthrower wrote:
ED209 wrote:I think only a couple of people at most need DVD media at first, so long as one of them as decent upload speed and doesn't mind seeding the shit out of that backup file.

I'll happily cough up postage, packaging, disc cost, labour costs, price of tea consumed while downloading the thing, proportion of electricity bill.... just put me down for one! :tup:
No need for any of that, just pay it forward....with such a crap upload speed actually posting out DVDs will be the easiest way for me to add 1 to my torrent sharing ratio! :tup:

hackenslash
Fundie Baiter...errr. Fun Debater
About me: I've got a little black book with my poems in...

Post by hackenslash » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:38 pm

I have a good upload speed, and I'm happy to seed it.

I do know that one kind soul has offered hosting space with massive bandwidth, and another has suggested that a domain may just be available, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the forum can simply be migrated, warts and all, to another platform. I'm sure we have enough technical know-how between us to make it happen.
Dogma is the death of the intellect

ED209

Post by ED209 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:42 pm

hackenslash wrote:I have a good upload speed, and I'm happy to seed it.

I do know that one kind soul has offered hosting space with massive bandwidth, and another has suggested that a domain may just be available, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that the forum can simply be migrated, warts and all, to another platform. I'm sure we have enough technical know-how between us to make it happen.

I wonder if that'll be possible really. It wouldn't be the same without everyone, and without giving a fuck about copyright I'd question the ethics of transplanting content written by 1000s of users in one context to another.

Anyway, I like this place and am looking forward to settling in here! :cheers:

dylan

Post by dylan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:44 pm

I wonder though if the software itself was reaching it's limit. I remember reading somewhere that even putting more computers at it the forum would slow down. Perhaps phpBB has it's limits?

hackenslash

Post by hackenslash » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:57 pm

ED209 wrote:

I wonder if that'll be possible really. It wouldn't be the same without everyone, and without giving a fuck about copyright I'd question the ethics of transplanting content written by 1000s of users in one context to another.

Anyway, I like this place and am looking forward to settling in here! :cheers:
Well, all users would be invited (especially if the archive includes the user database), and the foundation has relinquished all copyright, which means that the copyright is owned by the users. We can certainly find ethical and legal ways to circumvent such issues.

natselrox

Post by natselrox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:59 pm

Is it going up on torrentz?

hackenslash

Post by hackenslash » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:59 pm

dylan wrote:

I wonder though if the software itself was reaching it's limit. I remember reading somewhere that even putting more computers at it the forum would slow down. Perhaps phpBB has it's limits?
Possibly, although I know of at least one other php board with a similar membership, at nearly 50,000, although the content is just shy of 1 million posts, as opposed to just over 2 million. In any event, it could work with a proper archiving system, with the oldest content relegated to a searchable archive. There are technical hurdles to overcome, but they are far from insurmountable.