Announcement about RDF Part 2.

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
anna09
Book Nerd

Re: Announcement about RDF Part 2.

Post by anna09 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:57 pm

Apparently, their strategy is to ignore everything in hopes it will all die down. . . I wonder how long that will last? :coffee:

sprite

Post by sprite » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:57 pm

locutus7 wrote:This from Matt on Homeopathy:

78. Comment #463647 by Matt H. on February 24, 2010 at 5:29 pm
Nice article Richard. Shame we can't discuss it at the forum. We had some great sections that dealt with homeopathy and other kinds of woo, as well as science, religion and atheism; all representing the mission of the RDF. It is a shame that the administration here decided to apply what happened in general discussion a year ago to the whole forum; it is clear they never really understood the value of having such a popular atheist forum with invaluable resources.

If anything I know about Richard Dawkins is true, then he'll surely object to the loss of such worthwhile data from the likes of Peter Harrison and Calilasseia. Many of us learnt much about science from watching them take on creationists.
2. The trouble with homeopathy
Comment #463662 by natselrox on February 24, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Is there a forum or something like that here? It'd be very convenient to discuss issues like these, I think.
:funny:

Prince of Gonzo

Post by Prince of Gonzo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:59 pm

by Prince of Gonzo on February 24, 2010 at 6:02 pm
I was talking to my parents about this (they are Mormon) and they couldn't see why someone should be able to just slander people's good names just because they had different beliefs than they did.

It's times like these that I am glad that we as a free-thinking community have public figures like RD who can influence the opinions of many people as regards the defense of freedom of speech. England's libel laws are notoriously lax, and people need to be aware of the chilling effect that this can have on expression.

Fortunately, weight of available evidence is on the side of Mr. Singh, and I hope I can be found vindicated in my hope that justice will be done.

WhostolemyID

Post by WhostolemyID » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:00 pm

Well, I've come across with a new username, as the old one just felt dirty, dirty, dirty! New website, new me; tolerant and calm, and venge-empty, I promise!

What a complete cuntish act that was, and how badly done at that! Whatever the reason, whatever the need, the manner of execution has, without a doubt, irritated (to put it at its mildest) the majority of the users of the RDF website. These are the people that would volunteer to work for nothing, would donate money, buy the merchandise and the books, and would, in the main, share a common mindset with the stated aims of RDF. I struggle to comprehend the self-destructive damage that has been done.... Idiots! Tossers! Idiotic tossers!

I want to say how very, very sorry I am for all the Moderators, all of whom obviously invested a huge amount of time and effort (probably love as well) in the Forums over there. I'd feel for you if there had been a gradual wind-down because of, say, shortage of funds or a legal problem, but at least the closing could have been done with some grace. Ok, the reasons given were pretty piss-poor at best, but the manner ... ... I'm lost for words... other than a string of expletives, and posters like Hackenslash can fire them off far more fluently (or at least faster) than I can. So, :flowers: to all the Mods, with my heartfelt thanks.

I'm also sorry for all the other Forum Members who, like myself, posted eloquently or poorly, knowledgeably or ignorantly on so many topics. So much effort has just been flushed down the drain. (I haven't posted that much there in the last few months, and I don't think I posted anything of startling importance or interest, but the collective body of information & views was, in its field, unparalleled). So, :cheers: to all those who contributed to that wonderful Forum.

I'm really sorry for those people who arrived, fresh-faced and sometimes genuinely scared, seeking advice about how to deal with atheistic/theistic conflicts either internally, or in a family or social situation. I'm all the more sorry for those who would have come to seek such advice in future days. :hugs: to them, and I hope they find their way despite the lack of support. My heart really does go out to some of the lost "souls" who drifted by.

The forum-closing was a stupid and probably unnecessary act. The way the Mods were "dealt with" was infuriating, ignorant and idiotic. The mass-deletion of Users' posts when some don't please the ikkle baby left in charge is just shitty and petty. A weak act by a foolish nobody who has stupidly got himself into deep shit and hasn't a clue how to deal with it. The only upside is that, I suspect, he's made himself pretty well unemployable in the future. The internet has a collective memory, and I suspect Timonen won't be able to escape the consequences of his stupidity. He may cling to the RDF raft but, when he eventually is pushed or tries to swim for it, he'll realise how cold and deep the water is, how many sharks there are in the sea, and how sharp their teeth are.

I suppose in some way I could admire the fuckwitted little cunt if he'd locked the forum, deleted posts he didn't like, reamed a few of the Mods (while labelling the rest as an insane and indolent bunch of tossers), posted details of how wonderfully happy we'd all (have to be) with his New World Order, filched the RDF revenue and got away with all that without being noticed....

As it is, he's just shown himself up to be a viperous turd of the first order... and an incompetent viperous turd at that!

How the Hell ( :twisted: ) is he going to be able to show his face at any of RD's lectures or other money-making appearences? He'll be flayed alive by the more restrained Forum members. The less restrained will take over when they have finished! And do the powers-that-be think they'll really be able to control posting on the new site ( which, I have to say, I am sooo very excited about, all be it with a soupçon of fear at the change...)... There are hundreds, if not thousands of irritated, net-savvy, scientifically-minded excommunicated Forum members who will be delighted to slip it up their jacksies 24/7/365. Look at the messages on the front page at the moment and wonder how much effort it is to edit out all (all??? ... they have missed so many subtle comments already) the double-entendre and the waffle. No, the only good thing I can see is that the little gimp-shit has screwed his future royally!

I suspect there will be no comment from Richard, as I can't see that there is anything useful he can say. He can't reverse things: the Forum has been fucked whatever, the Mods won't go back (I'm guessing :hehe: ), and even if he did raise it from the grave, it'd look like a rotting Zombie corpse. He's unlikely to fire Timowhatsitshit, as that'd cause no end of problems (and he's dedicated a book to the fuckwit retard anyway, so that'd just look badderer than ever). He's going to have to hope it goes away with time. It won't. I doubt he was directly behind the way it was done, as he's not a nasty guy (I knew him a bit back in the early 90's, as I was doing postdoc work at Cambridge, and visited colleagues at that lesser University when I needed my ego polished). He is a bit ... removed... but not nasty or vituperative. At least, not then, but that is 20 years ago. I've sent him a friendly email, see if he remembers me, and said he ought to do something... but that I hadn't really got a clue what.

Anyway, love and kisses to all here. I'm unlikely to become a regular as, sadly, I just don't seem to have the time any more. But, I shall follow the first few days in hope of some bloodletting.

(Oooohhh, I did go on rather.... :oops: )

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:01 pm

WhostolemyID wrote:Well, I've come across with a new username, as the old one just felt dirty, dirty, dirty! New website, new me; tolerant and calm, and venge-empty, I promise!

(Oooohhh, I did go on rather.... :oops: )
:lol: Go on, why don't you tell us what you really think?

:cheers:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

HughMcB
Location: Toronto, Canada. . . . . . . . . . . . . (natural habitat: Ireland)

Post by HughMcB » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:02 pm

Ilovelucy wrote:My inference about Richard was reasoned. Anyone who thinks he doesn't yet know what has happened is being naive. He has since found the time to post on the front page, and all the messages that were sent to him have gone from the outbox to the sent folder.

Have we seen any changes? Well, accounts aren't being deleted any more and I have a feeling that that has come from Richard or the foundation trustees. But anyone who's holding out for a Dawkinsian lone ranger riding to the rescue is in for a long wait.
Unfortunately... I think you're 100% correct buddy...

That makes me a sad panda! :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8ecXITshe8
(no embedding allowed, apparently :( )
Last edited by HughMcB on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timonenfail wrote:We are all very excited about the new changes.
Quote-mine Dawkins wrote:If I ever had any doubts that RD.net needs to change, and rid itself of this particular aspect of Internet culture, they are dispelled by this episode.

David M

Post by David M » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:03 pm

I added my contribution on the page 1 comments.
Other people here are correct, it would be nice to take this discussion to a more formal forum setting where we can more easily quote the points we are responding to. It is a shame that the forum link at the top of the page no longer takes you to a forum that is functioning. Perhaps the website code-monkeys can fix this to provide a proper discission forum rather than this limited comment format that we have to use now.
Last edited by David M on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wondering Fart

Post by Wondering Fart » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:06 pm

WhostolemyID wrote: ... I'm unlikely to become a regular as, sadly, I just don't seem to have the time any more. But, I shall follow the first few days in hope of some bloodletting. ...
Same sentiments on both counts ... :cheers:

:mob:

klr

Post by klr » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:06 pm

HughMcB wrote:
Ilovelucy wrote:My inference about Richard was reasoned. Anyone who thinks he doesn't yet know what has happened is being naive. He has since found the time to post on the front page, and all the messages that were sent to him have gone from the outbox to the sent folder.

Have we seen any changes? Well, accounts aren't being deleted any more and I have a feeling that that has come from Richard or the foundation trustees. But anyone who's holding out for a Dawkinsian lone ranger riding to the rescue is in for a long wait.
Unfortunately... I think you're 100% correct buddy...
I agree. If RD wants to divest himself of the forum proper and concentrate on a tightly controlled comments-based environment, that's his prerogative. But the methodology employed ... :nono:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

ashley

Post by ashley » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Is there a forum or something like that here? It'd be very convenient to discuss issues like these, I think.
There's actually a comment by RD himself from just a week ago that basically says that:
Comment #461572 by Richard Dawkins on February 16, 2010 at 10:59 pm

The conversation between Rtambree and Tyler Durden is a classic example of a a private conversation, which is no doubt of interest to the two protagonists but which really is better suited to an email between the two of you. Or if you think anybody else might be interested in Freud, why not start a Forum thread on the subject?

Richard
Good question Richard. Why not?

hotshoe

Post by hotshoe » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Ilovelucy wrote:How long's this one going to last?

http://richarddawkins.net/articleCommen ... ge1#463656
28. Comment #463656 by ReverendClog on February 24, 2010 at 5:43 pm
JOSH IS A BACKSTABBING ATTENTION WHORE.#
FUCK YOU JOSH YOU SLACKJAWED MOUTHBREATHING TWAT.

Other Comments by ReverendClog | Rank This Comment | Flag as: [troll] [spam] [offensive]
Ranked as excellent.
I went and rated that comment as excellent, too. Pointless, really. The comment will disappear in a moment - if it hasn't already - and then my name will be flagged in fucking Josh Timonen's files as a troublemaker.

Stupid, me, should wait to draw attention till I have something prepared to say.

Ah, well, the forum is gone and never coming back. Why should I care if they suspend me as a user of the worthless front-page substitute ?

klr

Post by klr » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:12 pm

ashley wrote:

There's actually a comment by RD himself from just a week ago that basically says that:

The conversation between Rtambree and Tyler Durden is a classic example of a a private conversation, which is no doubt of interest to the two protagonists but which really is better suited to an email between the two of you. Or if you think anybody else might be interested in Freud, why not start a Forum thread on the subject?

Richard
:twisted: I like, I like ...

sprite

Post by sprite » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 pm

David M wrote:I added my contribution on the page 1 comments.
Other people here are correct, it would be nice to take this discussion to a more formal forum setting where we can more easily quote the points we are responding to. It is a shame that the forum link at the top of the page no longer takes you to a forum that is functioning. Perhaps the website code-monkeys can fix this to provide a proper discission forum rather than this limited comment format that we have to use now.
Looks like yours has gone???

Matt H

Post by Matt H » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 pm

We know from forum staff that Josh has controls over Richard's account. He can 'read' the PMs and delete them as he wishes, Richard has delegated to him that authority. Also, Richard does not have the ability to make front page posts himself; it is more likely that he emails Josh the articles he wants to put up and lets Josh handle the rest. Remember, Richard is away in Australia right now, and even though he always has his laptop, he might be busy planning talks and meetings.

hotshoe

Post by hotshoe » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:14 pm

ashley wrote:

Richard
Damn, I just wish I could wake Dawkins up and make him realize what he has done to his own forum, to his own atheist community, the one he supposedly valued.