Who is still missing?

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Re: Who is still missing?

Post by Rum » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:17 pm

Jay G wrote:
The Curious Squid wrote:
Jay G wrote:
The Curious Squid wrote::lol:

He's passed the prelimenary humour checks, you can go into the rest of the forum to talk about cheese now but you still need to pass your bacon license :tup:
I'm Jewish. Maybe you have a chopped liver license instead?
I thought you were transitional? Go on, just take a nibble of the reformed ham, you know you want to :biggrin:
Old habits die hard. I'm transitioning from Orthodoxy.... it's a loooong journey.
Why I wonder would a less orthodox Judaism be easier to believe in than a more orthodox one? Faith seems to be the common denominator and once you start taking things on faith without evidence it doesn't matter much whether the god you believe in tells you to wear a black hat and long curls, or just to be nice to people.

You better get used to challenges here. :mrgreen:

..which doesn't make you any less welcome of course.

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

Post by The Curious Squid » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:20 pm

Old habits die hard :dono:

Having never been religious I can't really understand why it isn't just a black and white case of was Jew, now not but since religion is designed to circumnavigate common sense maybe it's just mental lag, cognitive dissidence :dono:

Time is the best healer or some other such generic saying :ask:
We have no great war, no great depression.
Our great war is a spiritual war.
Our great depression is our lives.
JimC wrote:Ratz is just beautiful... :woot:

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

Jay G

Post by Jay G » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Rum wrote:
Jay G wrote:
The Curious Squid wrote:
Jay G wrote:
The Curious Squid wrote::lol:

He's passed the prelimenary humour checks, you can go into the rest of the forum to talk about cheese now but you still need to pass your bacon license :tup:
I'm Jewish. Maybe you have a chopped liver license instead?
I thought you were transitional? Go on, just take a nibble of the reformed ham, you know you want to :biggrin:
Old habits die hard. I'm transitioning from Orthodoxy.... it's a loooong journey.
Why I wonder would a less orthodox Judaism be easier to believe in than a more orthodox one? Faith seems to be the common denominator and once you start taking things on faith without evidence it doesn't matter much whether the god you believe in tells you to wear a black hat and long curls, or just to be nice to people.

You better get used to challenges here. :mrgreen:

..which doesn't make you any less welcome of course.

It's not as simple as you put it. Assuming one has faith and believes in God and that God gave the Torah to the Jewish people, one can following the Jewish Law as it comes down to us via the Talmud, etc. However, there's much that has been accumulated over the centuries that , even in the eyes of the faithful, appears to be crazy and just rank superstition. It's complicated but trust me that even within Orthodoxy, there are groups that are more "rational" than others. I'm sure it's the same in other religions.
"Their two is not the real two, their four is not the real four"
"Reason is the Devil's whore"

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard
About me: a sexually deviant misogynist sexist pig who's into sex trafficking, sexual slavery, murder, bondage, rape and pre-frontal lobotomy of your victims.

Post by The Curious Squid » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:30 pm

Yeah but you seem willing to apply rational thinking to your faith, when that happens it's usually a fast track to disbelief, even if it was the larger discrepencies that made you investigate it in the first place, now that you've started shinning a light on it you'll start to see the smaller cracks.

Not long before you're eating the best tasting food on the planet, In a sense I'm jealous! Wish I could try bacon again for the first time. No joke.

Where else could you go from the taste of raw egg to licking marmalade off tits in such a short space of time?
Pensioner wrote:I worked for 50 years and that's long enough for anyone, luckily I worked to live not lived for work.
Lozzer wrote:You ain't Scottish unless you live off Chicken nuggets, White Lightening and speak like an incomprehensible cow.

Jay G

Post by Jay G » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:34 pm

The Curious Squid wrote:Yeah but you seem willing to apply rational thinking to your faith, when that happens it's usually a fast track to disbelief, even if it was the larger discrepencies that made you investigate it in the first place, now that you've started shinning a light on it you'll start to see the smaller cracks.

Not long before you're eating the best tasting food on the planet, In a sense I'm jealous! Wish I could try bacon again for the first time. No joke.
I am willing to apply rational thinking. HOWEVER, my emotional part is very strong. Also, there are family issues. I'm struggling with the fact that I have a wife and kids and feel that it's somehow not fair to them to turn their family life upside down.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:43 pm

Jay G wrote:
The Curious Squid wrote:Yeah but you seem willing to apply rational thinking to your faith, when that happens it's usually a fast track to disbelief, even if it was the larger discrepencies that made you investigate it in the first place, now that you've started shinning a light on it you'll start to see the smaller cracks.

I am willing to apply rational thinking. HOWEVER, my emotional part is very strong. Also, there are family issues. I'm struggling with the fact that I have a wife and kids and feel that it's somehow not fair to them to turn their family life upside down.
I find myself wondering why you want the company of us folk here in that case. You will be challenged at every turn and if you stick with us and become part of the community I suspect your faith will weaken.

Best leave now if you don't want that to happen. Not that I wish it! You are of course welcome.

The Curious Squid
Lazy Spic Bastard

Post by The Curious Squid » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:49 pm

Rum wrote:
Jay G wrote:

I find myself wondering why you want the company of us folk here in that case. You will be challenged at every turn and if you stick with us and become part of the community I suspect your faith will weaken.

Best leave now if you don't want that to happen. Not that I wish it! You are of course welcome.
I wouldn't say that, fair enough, if he stays here he may be faced with difficult choices but how can that ever be less desirable than being forced to carry out rituals and traditions that you suspect may be lies? If anything I think that regardless of what conclusion Jay G eventually comes to, an environment like this where nobody is agressive about religion can only help one way or another. We're not often a serious bunch but we do moral support like pros :smug:

Jay G, you're possibly the first theist I've come across that is actually willing to hear the counter ideas to what you've been told. I'm sure that if you ask honest questions here about anything you'd like to hear the atheist viewpoint on you'll get honest and concise answers.

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:42 am

Jay G, I hope you enjoy our company ... whether you want to examine your traditions, ideas and beliefs here, or any of ours, or just kick back in witty, intelligent, irreverent and often just plain silly company ... I certainly enjoy reading your posts :mrgreen: and was glad to see you had joined us.
no fences

Trolldor
Gargling with Nails

Post by Trolldor » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:43 am

We have witty company?
"The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don't like that statement but few can argue with it."

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:42 am

Jay G wrote:
The Curious Squid wrote:
Jay G wrote:I'm happy that nobody was upset over my absence.
I don't actually know who you are :(

Fix that! ;) :biggrin: :cheers:

I'm your worst nightmare. I'm a THEIST. Actually I'm a transitional theist.
Oh.... I was hoping you'd be a transitional fossil.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:57 am

Aren't the two more or less synonymous, beside the fact I'd rather use a nice trilobite as a paperweight?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:13 am

Svartalf wrote:Aren't the two more or less synonymous, beside the fact I'd rather use a nice trilobite as a paperweight?
I'd rather use the shrunken head of a missionary. :hehe:
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

Ronja
Just Another Safety Nut
About me: mother of 2 girls, married to fellow rat MiM, student (SW, HCI, ICT...) , self-employed editor/proofreader/translator

Post by Ronja » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:23 am

The Curious Squid wrote:Jay G, you're possibly the first theist I've come across that is actually willing to hear the counter ideas to what you've been told. I'm sure that if you ask honest questions here about anything you'd like to hear the atheist viewpoint on you'll get honest and concise answers.
:whisper: CS, all you need to do is travel back in time some 20+ years, and meet a younger me. I was like that once. It took me from the summer of 1980 to early 2001 to come full circle from born-again xian to atheist (a 6 on the 7-step scale that Dawkins so often uses). I claim that I was a decent person all that time, and I must have been willing to think the unthinkable, to arrive here.
Welcome to the forum :cheers:
+1 to that.

Jay G: these people - me very much included - well, we are kinda silly, and tend to make fun about anything and everything, especially on Friday and Saturday evenings GMT. But almost all here are honest, and a large majority can manage to be honest in a respectful way, IMO. Your taste may be different, of course.

Again, welcome!
"The internet is made of people. People matter. This includes you. Stop trying to sell everything about yourself to everyone. Don’t just hammer away and repeat and talk at people—talk TO people. It’s organic. Make stuff for the internet that matters to you, even if it seems stupid. Do it because it’s good and feels important. Put up more cat pictures. Make more songs. Show your doodles. Give things away and take things that are free." - Maureen J

"...anyone who says it’s “just the Internet” can :pawiz: . And then when they come back, they can :pawiz: again." - Tigger

Mysturji
Clint Eastwood
About me: Downloading an app to my necktop

Post by Mysturji » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:52 am

Jay G wrote:
The Curious Squid wrote:

:food:
Sir Figg Newton wrote:If I have seen further than others, it is only because I am surrounded by midgets.
Cormac wrote:Doom predictors have been with humans right through our history. They are like the proverbial stopped clock - right twice a day, but not due to the efficacy of their prescience.
IDMD2
I am a twit.

Jay G

Post by Jay G » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:14 pm

Pappa wrote:
Jay G wrote:
The Curious Squid wrote:

Oh.... I was hoping you'd be a transitional fossil.
No. But there are some living in my neighborhood.