In Praise of Josh Timonen

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Don't Panic
Evil Admin
Evil Admin
About me: 100% Pure Evil. (Not from Concentrate)

Re: In Praise of Josh Timonen

Post by Don't Panic » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:35 pm

In a google search for Josh timonen this thread is the first result on the second page.
Gawd wrote:»
And those Zumwalts are already useless, they can be taken out with an ICBM.
The world is a thing of utter inordinate complexity and richness and strangeness that is absolutely awesome. I mean the idea that such complexity can arise not only out of such simplicity, but probably absolutely out of nothing, is the most fabulous extraordinary idea. And once you get some kind of inkling of how that might have happened, it's just wonderful. And . . . the opportunity to spend 70 or 80 years of your life in such a universe is time well spent as far as I am concerned.
D.N.A.

Blondie
Forum Desperado

Post by Blondie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:37 pm

If Josh Timonen's company was contracted, orally or in writing, to create a product and then manage it then the IP rights belong to those that hired his company. It's really quite straightforward. The only kink is that it is an oral contract, by the accounts we have now - this will make things more difficult for RD, but the case is not without precedent.
In this world there's two kinds of people: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

Happy Trails. :)

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:39 pm

Wonder if he had oral or written contracts with the other website work he did... :ask:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

my_wan

Post by my_wan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:31 pm

Anthroban wrote:If Josh Timonen's company was contracted, orally or in writing, to create a product and then manage it then the IP rights belong to those that hired his company. It's really quite straightforward. The only kink is that it is an oral contract, by the accounts we have now - this will make things more difficult for RD, but the case is not without precedent.
Not necessarily with an oral contract, which it was in this case per documents filed with the court by RD's lawyers. If you hire an independent contractor to produce a work without a signed IP agreement, the IP rights default to the contractor, not the company that hired them. It basically amounts to a non-transfered purchase of rights to use the IP belonging to the independent contractor. Copyright law explicitly depends on written agreements in most such cases.

However, there are conditions which limit this default ownership, but are too complex to lay out completely. These limitations also involve a lot of legal grey areas. A lot of the user agreements we commonly check the box on are written from the perspective of legal caution, and may or may not hold in court in some circumstances.

Maybe I should try to enumerate the differences in case law and what 'appears' to be involved here. Then again maybe not. IP law scares most lawyers.
"I will not attack your doctrine nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men" - Robert Green Ingersoll
Ex RDer

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:33 pm

Is that why Calvin's father is a patent lawyer?
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Blondie
Forum Desperado

Post by Blondie » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:42 pm

my_wan wrote:
Anthroban wrote:If Josh Timonen's company was contracted, orally or in writing, to create a product and then manage it then the IP rights belong to those that hired his company. It's really quite straightforward. The only kink is that it is an oral contract, by the accounts we have now - this will make things more difficult for RD, but the case is not without precedent.
Not necessarily with an oral contract, which it was in this case per documents filed with the court by RD's lawyers. If you hire an independent contractor to produce a work without a signed IP agreement, the IP rights default to the contractor, not the company that hired them. It basically amounts to a non-transfered purchase of rights to use the IP belonging to the independent contractor. Copyright law explicitly depends on written agreements in most such cases.

However, there are conditions which limit this default ownership, but are too complex to lay out completely. These limitations also involve a lot of legal grey areas. A lot of the user agreements we commonly check the box on are written from the perspective of legal caution, and may or may not hold in court in some circumstances.

Maybe I should try to enumerate the differences in case law and what 'appears' to be involved here. Then again maybe not. IP law scares most lawyers.
Quick question then: Who owns the IP rights on the products sold through the store (DVDs, etc.)?

Unless Josh can make the case that he owns the rights to the products sold through the store he 'created' and 'managed' but maintains that he owns the rights to the store itself, then he's walking right into a legal trap. He'll have to maintain that there was no contract between him and RDF to claim the former, and if he does so then it's implicit that he had no legal right to be selling Dawk-wares on his 'created' and 'managed' store. It just don't work. This is why I really want to see the statement from his lawyers (and part of the reason I suspect it is so slow in coming).
In this world there's two kinds of people: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.

Happy Trails. :)

my_wan

Post by my_wan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:58 pm

Anthroban wrote: Quick question then: Who owns the IP rights on the products sold through the store (DVDs, etc.)?

Unless Josh can make the case that he owns the rights to the products sold through the store he 'created' and 'managed' but maintains that he owns the rights to the store itself, then he's walking right into a legal trap. He'll have to maintain that there was no contract between him and RDF to claim the former, and if he does so then it's implicit that he had no legal right to be selling Dawk-wares on his 'created' and 'managed' store. It just don't work. This is why I really want to see the statement from his lawyers (and part of the reason I suspect it is so slow in coming).
Yes you have a point, with a bit more complication. That's why I said it looks like RD holds the ace card. A more dangerous game than I think Josh invisioned when he set himself on this path. I suspect he took a basic reading of IP law and thought it was a simple matter to circumvent embezzelment, which is too simple minded.

In effect he has to argue he owns the IP rights to the products, which RD payed him for the right to sell and manage those sales (or some variant). The IP ownership will be itemized though, and I don't see him with a case at all on some items. This doesn't really work though, since the management of those sales was effectively salaried, ongoing payments, in spite of the 1099 form. So whichever way Josh wants to try and claim, the claimed oral agreement variants leads to troubles in different ways.

Even if he tries making the case that he paid RD for the rights to run his store on RD's site, it doesn't square with what he paid RD, or RD payed him. And especially doesn't square with the prominent on site claims that all proceeds go to RDF, as "all proceeds" then constituted anything Josh chose not to spend himself. I am curious as what his tax filing looked like, and how he represented a salary from his own company, if at all.

He is even stuck with that part of his company legally being a charitable enterprise, at the store represented it as such. So simply saying his company his money gets him in a world of hurt, because the marketing was based on charitable claims.

So I'm still trying to figure out how he is going to argue the oral agreement to cover his ass. I'm very doubtfull it can be done, and can even end up with serious prison time going about it wrong. If it's even possible not to do wrong. What exactly he would be guilty of would be based in part on his own defense.

Yet I'm very sure Josh took a basic reading of IP law long ago, and thought he could derive a simple defense against embezzelment. My company plus my IP equals my money doesn't cut it for a defense.

So, Josh, I let it drop. Does your lawyers care, or are they just going to win the points you claim and let what happens happen to you? For the lawyers winning the specified claims is enough for them. I would be scared shitless in those shoes!!!
"I will not attack your doctrine nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men" - Robert Green Ingersoll
Ex RDer

Cormac

Post by Cormac » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:41 pm

Blondie wrote:If Josh Timonen's company was contracted, orally or in writing, to create a product and then manage it then the IP rights belong to those that hired his company. It's really quite straightforward. The only kink is that it is an oral contract, by the accounts we have now - this will make things more difficult for RD, but the case is not without precedent.
Unless there was an assignment or waiver of those IP rights.
FUCKERPUNKERSHIT!

Wanna buy some pegs Dave, I've got some pegs here...
You're my wife now!

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:29 am

Yon Timonen has a lean and hungry look...

Burying is better than praising...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:37 am

JimC wrote:Yon Timonen has a lean and hungry look...

Burying is better than praising...
:drama:

... any excuse to bastardise the Bard. :hehe:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:15 am

I think it was riddlemethis.
riddlemethis wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote::whistle:
Is that really him? Now I've clapped eyes on him, I totally understand. That's a slack jawed turd in the mouth mug if ever I saw one. This is just Revenge of the Nerd really, isn't it.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.