Gripe About RDF Here

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Re: Gripe About RDF Here

Post by Robert_S » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:34 pm

Seriously, if I do not read some sort of explanation or apology from Dawkins, I'm going to track down every theist from his videos and make sure they all have something to gloat about.

I can understand wanting to not have to be responsible for all the content a hugely popular forum, but it could have been done in an honest and open sort of way. I suppose he had the right to do what he did, just as I have the right to say I think that was a prickish move on his part, or in his name.

I do OK socially in the university town I live in, but if I were a nonbelieving teen stuck in one of the smaller towns just a few miles from here, I'd be very lonely indeed. I shudder to think what my state of mental health would be if I were an atheist in some Islamic republic.

I think Richard has yet to realize that even though forums, communities and movements may be centered around ideas, they are about people.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Boadacia!

Post by Boadacia! » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:20 pm

I have a feeling he probably doesn't have time for forums and we flys? I can also imagine all sorts of letters about the 'disgusting' posts on RDF coming from many directions and sources. Maybe a little like the BBC complaints department? So, it's possible he decided to have a clean up, and the results are as you all see. I can't see it affecting his income that much, and maybe it's enough not to care about, anyway? (we can all feel less guilty now for downloading all those books) :oops:

Perhaps he only wants the tip of the iceberg of the 'Brights' being seen on there from now, and he's dumped the fodder? :ddpan:
ImageImage
RD: Science is very interesting, and if you don't agree, you can f*ck off! - And take your MODS with you! :whip:
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 pm

DoctorE wrote:You are all excommunicated + censored... Jesus.. uhh Josh will give you the msg
Bravo!

:lol:

Horwood Beer-Master
"...a complete Kentish hog"
Location: Wandering somewhere around the Darenth Valley - Kent

Post by Horwood Beer-Master » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:37 pm

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Post by lordpasternack » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:26 pm

:pop:

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Can we yawn about RDF here? :yawn: :snooze:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Post by lordpasternack » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Bella Fortuna wrote:Can we yawn about RDF here? :yawn: :snooze:
They are the gift of apathy and cynicism that just keeps giving. Someone really should inform their PR people that, uhm, they need better PR people. :hehe:

Edit: It was quite nostalgic and pertinent reading through this thread, though. :sigh:
Then they for sudden joy did weep,
And I for sorrow sung,
That such a king should play bo-peep,
And go the fools among.
Prithee, nuncle, keep a schoolmaster that can teach
thy fool to lie: I would fain learn to lie.