Gripe About RDF Here

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Paul1

Re: Gripe About RDF Here

Post by Paul1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:43 pm

I must say, I am shocked and saddened. Considering how much content everyone posted there, all that well thought out information - and it's being burnt away. I hear the moderators there are being fired, but they were pillars of the community, ensuring the smooth running, friendly atmosphere that attracted me so much to RDF. And now it's all gone... and I feel a bit lost in the universe of alternative forums - this forum looks like the best, but I've had my eyes forced open to how many different Atheist forums there are...I had assumed RDF pretty much held most of the Internet's Atheists, not true!

I don't know why RDF has done this, surely they are really going to damage their hard earned member base, and change the dynamic from very intellectual discussion to something else. Is that what they wanted?

Boadacia!

Post by Boadacia! » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:02 pm

I think it's a little of a betrayal of all the hard work of the Mods! But I sense that maybe Richard wants to disassociate himself from some of the more - shall we say - fervent atheist posters, and general flamers. Maybe to stop a lot of the madarse fundies too? Perhaps it's related to the world view he thinks he should have, of being a little more respectable, and the criticism he often receives for being a fundamentalist atheist?

So we may not see many more of his = "Science is interesting and if you don't agree you can f*ck off!" - statements in future? :hehe:

It's just a shame that all that community feeling has been annihilated, and the response was to shut up the dissent even from the Mods. Probably going to lose many to other forums, but perhaps that was the plan? :what?:
ImageImage
RD: Science is very interesting, and if you don't agree, you can f*ck off! - And take your MODS with you! :whip:
___________________________________________________________________________________________

ficklefiend

Post by ficklefiend » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:10 pm

Paul1 wrote:I must say, I am shocked and saddened. Considering how much content everyone posted there, all that well thought out information - and it's being burnt away. I hear the moderators there are being fired, but they were pillars of the community, ensuring the smooth running, friendly atmosphere that attracted me so much to RDF. And now it's all gone... and I feel a bit lost in the universe of alternative forums - this forum looks like the best, but I've had my eyes forced open to how many different Atheist forums there are...I had assumed RDF pretty much held most of the Internet's Atheists, not true!
The difficulty is finding something that is large and active AND has members in it who are after fun and debate and not just angry arrogant pricks.. there are plenty of shitty atheists out there.

As far as I could tell there was nothing quite like RDF out there for that, that had the balance of both of those.

And I love ratz, and it is going to be especially useful for keeping up with people now we don't have a base of operations, but Richard Dawkins' name had a very useful pull that will be missed.
Set phasers tae malky!
www.ficklefiend.deviantart.com

ED209

Post by ED209 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:42 pm

People have had 1000's of posts and entire profiles deleted? That's a damn shame, those posts repesent many many hours of thought and life....although FWIW those posts still exist for the time being where they were quoted by others, and more importantly and permanently in other member's brains... :console:

Heresiarch
About me: Formerly known as Heresiarch.

Post by Heresiarch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Boadacia! wrote:So we may not see many more of his = "Science is interesting and if you don't agree you can f*ck off!" - statements in future? :hehe:
New and improved: "Science is interesting and if you don't agree you will be erased from history."
The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that
believe in it. Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that
believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't.
-- Honest Book of Truth; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1

Crocodile Gandhi

Post by Crocodile Gandhi » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:57 pm

Heresiarch wrote:
Boadacia! wrote:So we may not see many more of his = "Science is interesting and if you don't agree you can f*ck off!" - statements in future? :hehe:
New and improved: "Science is interesting and if you don't agree you will be erased from history."
Exactly. What is going to give the fundies more heart, a couple of atheists who are loose with their language or the entire forum being shut down? They will chalk this up as a win for Jesus.
Goodbye RDF. We hardly knew ye.

Arse

Post by Arse » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:27 pm

Of course they will, and I don't blame them. What would we be doing if the owner of Rapture Ready did this? We'd be laughing our arses off and using it to confirm our opinion that they're all loonies. That's what they are all doing now thanks to the stupid cunts, (including RD), who are responsible for this.

Boadacia!

Post by Boadacia! » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:39 pm

Crocodile Gandhi wrote: Exactly. What is going to give the fundies more heart, a couple of atheists who are loose with their language or the entire forum being shut down? They will chalk this up as a win for Jesus.
Maybe when his new improved forum is up and running the fundies will post = "Gawd fu*ked you all up the Bottys ! Ha Harrr!" Some ex 'Catholic could answer with = "Already had that before I escaped Ireland!" :ddpan:
ImageImage
RD: Science is very interesting, and if you don't agree, you can f*ck off! - And take your MODS with you! :whip:
___________________________________________________________________________________________

QuarkyGideon
About me: Just your run of the mill new militant atheist! :P

Post by QuarkyGideon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:33 pm

I indeed agree on the other side (no reason & superstition) using this against RDF. I'm sure that people have been censored on religious forums for saying "bad things".

Well to rationalia! Why didn't anyone tell me about it earlier :dono:

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:34 pm

QuarkyGideon wrote:I indeed agree on the other side (no reason & superstition) using this against RDF. I'm sure that people have been censored on religious forums for saying "bad things".

Well to rationalia! Why didn't anyone tell me about it earlier :dono:
Dunno... many of us at RDF have had it discreetly in our sigs for a year... :shifty:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

DoctorE

Post by DoctorE » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:40 pm

You are all excommunicated + censored... Jesus.. uhh Josh will give you the msg

Heresiarch
About me: Formerly known as Heresiarch.

Post by Heresiarch » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:41 pm

DoctorE wrote:You are all excommunicated + censored... Jesus.. uhh Josh will give you the msg
The one commandment: THOU SHALT NOT!
The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that
believe in it. Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that
believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't.
-- Honest Book of Truth; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:44 pm

:funny:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Valden
About me: Once upon a time...

Post by Valden » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:46 pm

Heresiarch wrote:
DoctorE wrote:You are all excommunicated + censored... Jesus.. uhh Josh will give you the msg
The one commandment: THOU SHALT NOT!
:funny: Thanks for the laugh. After the bullshit from yesterday, I really needed it.

campermon

Post by campermon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:57 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Dawkins himself?

Surely he must have forseen the consequences of basically turning rdnet into a 'blog'.

I'm still *really angry* at the way the moderators were treated. FFS, THEY built rdnet into what it became! and more, they did it for nothing!

If I had a pair of muppets running my fanbase in such a way, I'd have their balls on a plate...with a nice cianti... :drool:

Anyway. Moan over. I'm looking forward to getting used to the new surroundings!

:cheers: