Fuckin' Protests, How Do They Work?

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Fuckin' Protests, How Do They Work?

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:31 am

To express their displeasure at being labelled a 'loosely organized hybrid gang' by the FBI, the Juggalo Nation is going to march on Washington. However the date they've set has also been chosen by the pro-Trump 'Mother of All Rallies.' It may prove to be an interesting chemistry experiment.

'Pro-Trump Rally Set to Clash with Juggalo March in Washington, D.C. in September'
“The Mother of All Rallies” is coming to Washington, D.C. on September 16th. The Pro-Trump group bills itself as “The Woodstock of American Rallies” on its official website, with the aim of sending “a message to congress the media and the world” that “we stand united to defend American culture & values.” Over 7,000 people follow the rally’s Facebook page. It should be quite the gathering.

There’s only one problem: there will already be another kind of gathering in town.

Also scheduled to storm the National Mall that day is the Juggalo March, a collective of I.C.P. fans seeking equal treatment, which we first reported on here last summer. The Juggalo March “aims to bring national attention to the ongoing discrimination and profiling that Juggalos continue to be subjected to following the group’s inclusion in the U.S. Department of Justice’s 2011 National Gang Task Force report.” Which is a ludicrous classification, to be sure: while we may enjoy making fun of ICP and their fans, they’re not inherently bad people.

We’ve previously gone on record as saying the Juggalo March might be in poor taste; millions of Americans have been fighting for the privilege of being treated equally for centuries, based on circumstances entirely out of their control, and it seems insensitive and tone deaf in this time of civil rights upheaval for Juggalos to claim the same level of unfair treatment based on a lifestyle they’ve chosen for themselves… and one based around fandom of a band, no less.

That said, there’s no question whose side we’re on when it comes to Juggalos vs. pro-Trump crazies: Juggalos all the way!!

That said, I’m really not sure where most Juggalos’ politics lie. There may be a significant pro-Trump contingent amongst them. As with any fanbase, I’d expect their group is diverse.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Re: Fuckin' Protests, How Do They Work?

Post by Animavore » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:46 am

So on one side we've a bunch of clowns, and on the other, some Juggalos. What a circus.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

cronus
Black Market Analyst
About me: Illis quos amo deserviam

Post by cronus » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:00 pm

What will the world be like after its ruler is removed?

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:57 am

The Huffingtom Post says that the Juggalo march was larger than the 'Mother of All Rallies,' but offers no evidence, though other sources support that claim. A Toronto Star reporter did some entertaining live-tweeting from the Juggalo protest.
Last edited by L'Emmerdeur on Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:11 am

"clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right..."
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:10 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:10 am

Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT