steemit.com cryptocurrency whatsit

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Re: steemit.com cryptocurrency whatsit

Post by JimC » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:26 am

As long as moderators make 5% on every deal, I don't care what the fuck it's called!

:{D
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Rum wrote:Great. I still haven't had my account approved for some reason. The system is still in beta mode so I assume they are going pretty slowly.
If you haven't heard by tomorrow I can post a thingo in the help forum. Might prompt them to go and find it and activate it.
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:54 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
PsychoSerenity wrote:Where does the actual value come from? I mean, if they can theoretically be converted in to real currency, there should be something about the website and the currency that is actually worth something to someone. I can't see that there's any advertising on there, and simply liking things on social media is not actually useful unless someone's harvesting data. There's always some value in the use of a currency like this for illicit trade, and I've always been rather put off the idea of profiting by supporting a currency that easily allows human trafficking and funds terrorism. I'd be very surprised if, like with most crypto-currencies, there aren't a minority of people who get extraordinarily wealthy while thousands of others find they don't actually get as much as they put in, when they try to cash out.
I presume the value created is a function of the estimated $-value of the domain based on it's traffic and links to-and-from - it's value as a platform for advertising/data mining etc. One might then divide that nominal value between participants based on their level of activity, perhaps. At some point real money might even change hands - minus an administrative charge no doubt.
No ads. You can datamine the absolute shit out of everything, as it's all open access. That's a bit of a scary thing about it all. Nothing can be deleted.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:56 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:Great idea. What should we call it?

I propose: the 'Shit'. :D
I was going to say Shitcoin, but apparently that's a common term for digital coins that tank.. :hehe:

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:59 pm

Well, the Ratzcoin has tanked before even starting... not enough of a base, no data to mine, not ads or audience to give it value... and nothing to use it on either.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:08 pm

pErvin wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:
PsychoSerenity wrote:Where does the actual value come from? I mean, if they can theoretically be converted in to real currency, there should be something about the website and the currency that is actually worth something to someone. I can't see that there's any advertising on there, and simply liking things on social media is not actually useful unless someone's harvesting data. There's always some value in the use of a currency like this for illicit trade, and I've always been rather put off the idea of profiting by supporting a currency that easily allows human trafficking and funds terrorism. I'd be very surprised if, like with most crypto-currencies, there aren't a minority of people who get extraordinarily wealthy while thousands of others find they don't actually get as much as they put in, when they try to cash out.
I presume the value created is a function of the estimated $-value of the domain based on it's traffic and links to-and-from - it's value as a platform for advertising/data mining etc. One might then divide that nominal value between participants based on their level of activity, perhaps. At some point real money might even change hands - minus an administrative charge no doubt.
No ads. You can datamine the absolute shit out of everything, as it's all open access. That's a bit of a scary thing about it all. Nothing can be deleted.
No ads now.
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:09 pm

pErvin wrote:
Brian Peacock wrote:Great idea. What should we call it?

I propose: the 'Shit'. :D
I was going to say Shitcoin, but apparently that's a common term for digital coins that tank.. :hehe:
Two Shits = 1 Wank. 10 Wanks = 1 Crumple?
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:09 pm

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:41 pm

One Crumple = 1/10 of a Galaxian or 1/20 of a Doddery Dave.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:55 pm

1/23 of a HalfDave, but there isn't actually HalfDave coin.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:49 am

You should get over there, Lak. It's an anarcho-capitalists wet dream. I'm expecting to see Seth turn up at any minute.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:50 am

...and get banned in 1..2..3...
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:13 am

You can't be banned there. And Seth would be a literal God there. All the young naive anarcho-capitalists would worship him. When he hears about the place I have no doubt he will head straight there.

JimC
The sentimental bloke

Post by JimC » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:19 am

In that case, someone fucking tell him! :{D
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:20 am

:lol: When is he due back here?