Atheism plus

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Re: Atheism plus

Post by pErvinalia » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:13 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:However, they are managing to infect all the major atheist and skeptic organizations with their nonsense.
Citation required.
Cite this -> :pawiz: , motherfucker!! :hehe:
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Forty Two
About me: I am the grammar snob about whom your mother warned you.

Post by Forty Two » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:22 pm

Brian Peacock wrote:
Forty Two wrote:However, they are managing to infect all the major atheist and skeptic organizations with their nonsense.
Citation required.
Skepticon is the group at issue, that's one.

Reason Rally and American Humanist Association
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

L'Emmerdeur
About me: Yuh wust nightmaya!

Post by L'Emmerdeur » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:23 pm

It's one of those key selling points coming to bite the damned secularists in the butt. :sadcheer:
Secularist organizations seem to be having a lot of trouble with sexual harassment.

You have to ask "What did you think was going to happen?" One of the key selling points of secularism is that you don't have to follow those benighted old restrictions on sexual conduct imposed by those nasty, prudish and repressive Christians. And then, lo and behold, vulnerable people are threatened by the out-of-control libidos of such "liberated" people."

Surprise, surprise. Next thing you know, we will be finding out that gambling is going on in Casablanca.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:02 am

In the 60's, the whole free love, anti-repression thing was used by quite a few men as a way to get laid...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:11 am

And that highlights the reality about sexual assault. Nothing is sexual assault if the person it is being "perpetrated" on doesn't think it is sexual assault. It's definitely a choice by these people to consider being touched on the arm as unwarranted sexual attention.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:14 am

I think he's being abused and should welcome the opportunity to leave.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:43 am

"Abuse not, lest ye be abused..."
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

piscator

Post by piscator » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:19 am

JimC wrote:In the 60's, the whole free love, anti-repression thing was used by quite a few men as a way to get laid...

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:26 am

JimC wrote:In the 60's, the whole free love, anti-repression thing was used by quite a few men as a way to get laid...
a shame I was not even born yet for most of that period :cry:
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:10 am

Svartalf wrote:
a shame I was not even born yet for most of that period :cry:
Never mind. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Girls went bonkers.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:02 am

L'Emmerdeur wrote:It's one of those key selling points coming to bite the damned secularists in the butt. :sadcheer:
Secularist o rganizations seem to be having a lot of trouble with sexual harassment.

You have to ask "What did you think was going to happen?" One of the key selling points of secularism is that you don't have to follow those benighted old restrictions on sexual conduct imposed by those nasty, prudish and repressive Christians. And then, lo and behold, vulnerable people are threatened by the out-of-control libidos of such "liberated" people."

Surprise, surprise. Next thing you know, we will be finding out that gambling is going on in Casablanca.
I could sympathize, if indeed the offenses committed were, indeed, "out of control libidos." What they bitch about is conversation. Two people talking and one of them initiates some romantic or sexual interaction - expression of interest. It's not about stalking, or someone getting harassed -- they're saying if you touch someone's arm it's a violation of the harassment policy. But, of course it won't ever be applied uniformly. What the rule really is is that men can't make the first move. Not that they can't make the first move, but they proceed at their own peril - it's the "you better be 100% sure she wants you to express interest before you express interest..." because if she doesn't want your interest, then you've harassed her. Period. It won't go the other way, of course -- nobody would take it seriously if a woman said "I find you attractive" and touched a man's forearm and looked at him longingly, and the man didn't "
welcome" it. The very idea is laughable, and rightly so. It's just as fucking laughable when Richard Carrier talks to some chick in a bar for hours, and then "expresses interest" and when he's rebuffed he politely accepts the rebuffing. For Skepticon to view that as any sort of a problem is, quite frankly, embarrassing and joke. And, insulting to women. It treats them like fucking children.

If people are going to be treated as equal adults, then we can't have this kind of crap.
“When I was in college, I took a terrorism class. ... The thing that was interesting in the class was every time the professor said ‘Al Qaeda’ his shoulders went up, But you know, it is that you don’t say ‘America’ with an intensity, you don’t say ‘England’ with the intensity. You don’t say ‘the army’ with the intensity,” she continued. “... But you say these names [Al Qaeda] because you want that word to carry weight. You want it to be something.” - Ilhan Omar

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:03 am

... getting laid wold seem to be the very point of "free love, anti-repression." What were men and women supposed to use "the whole free love, anti-represssion thing" for? Having ice cream sundaes at Dairy Queen?

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:07 am

eRv wrote:And that highlights the reality about sexual assault. Nothing is sexual assault if the person it is being "perpetrated" on doesn't think it is sexual assault. It's definitely a choice by these people to consider being touched on the arm as unwarranted sexual attention.

The rule at skepticon is now common -- Reason Rally had the same thing -- you are not allowed to touch anyone anytime without asking them their permission first. So, no tapping someone on the shoulder to get their attention. No laughing and having a good time and reaching across the table or bar and lightly touching a forearm....

Next revision of the rules will have people with those little green and red markers they use at Brazilian restaurants for when you want more meat. If your marker is flipped to green, someone is allowed to say words to you.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff

Post by pErvinalia » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:45 am

Sounds like the Tumblr generation has moved into the atheist ranks and are holding conferences now. Perhaps we need to start our own counter-movement. Although, we'd probably have to leave out the scared liberals who think any suggestion to curb potentially unsociable behaviour is an attack on their freedum. Shit, just reminded of our sociopathic Treasurer who was whining the other day that he knows what it's like to be the target of homophobia-like bigotry because he's a Christian (no shit, he really did equate the two). Him and a bunch of other bigots (including many liberals) want a temporary reprieve from a certain part of our constitution that makes hate speech a crime, so they can say how immoral gays are and how they are all secret paedophiles and beastialists, during the upcoming plebiscite on marriage equality. This, along with other reasons, is why I maintain that liberals are generally just young clean cut conservatives who have limited experience in the real world.

Forty Two

Post by Forty Two » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:22 pm

Indeed -- that's seems to explain why the quality of speakers at these conventions has dropped precipitously. I recall when people at the level of a Richard Dawkins, Michael Shermer and Ayaan Hirsi Ali used to be common at atheist and skeptic conferences. The whole Tumblr social justice horseshit movement has now destroyed that -- we get some dipshit with a gender studies degree lecturing on the proper use of newly coined pronouns.

However, part of the problem includes the laws and rules that would make it a "crime" to say that other people are immoral. The very idea that a workable system of justice and law includes prohibiting unsavory opinions is naive. It's part of the childish, insular concepts that hold sway in some circles today.