Dawkins doesn't remember RD.Net Forum Crisis

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
devogue

Re: Dawkins doesn't remember RD.Net Forum Crisis

Post by devogue » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:15 am

The Dawkins forum with Feral OT was, and always will be, the greatest of internet experiences for me. It encompassed the full spectrum of the human condition and was something quite remarkable.

It was not the forum that should have been chopped away, but Dawkins himself. The cunt.

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:39 am

It's his his quest for the knighthood. That and Timonen.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:37 am

I had fun at the old Dawkins forum, skirting the rules and annoying the mods until they finally got fed up and asked ol' Dawkins himself to ban me :hehe:
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:10 pm

My first thought was "which one?" There were several. :tea:

But of course it must be the very first one, when Dicky came a-calling one evening, took a look around certain sub-forums, and said "WTF is this shit?" :o

Of course, having issued his diktat to clean the mess up, he didn't realise that OBC would use it as an excuse to start The Great Schism, to be followed by many lesser schisms.

Personally, I wouldn't blame him for trying to block those few years from his memory, and pretend they never happened.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:24 am

Tyrannical wrote:I had fun at the old Dawkins forum, skirting the rules and annoying the mods until they finally got fed up and asked ol' Dawkins himself to ban me :hehe:
Yup, me too. It was a great way to demonstrate his utter hypocrisy.
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:42 pm

NineBerry wrote:See

at minute 53 :grin: :mrgreen:
That bit starting at 53' 50" is utter BS. "The moderation is never to censor a proper expression of opinion or an argument...".
His revamped forum was mediocre as a discussion site. Initiation of all threads had to be approved. Once the thread was underway it was supposed to run as before. But infact it was steered in the direction of approved ideas. Polite but incorrect opinions were not posted. Worst of all, threads were quickly locked after just a very few pages so that a proper debate couldn't develop. Especially bearing in mind that many, many people don't happen to bump into a thread they want to join till many days later... Only to find it's already locked. Even user posted avatars were expunged.

Last time I looked, there's no discussion forum at all. Under the "community" menu, there's simply an archive about 2 years old.
Whole point of the site seems to be for marketing their online shop. It's now a dry, pompous scientism pulpit :zombie:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:05 pm

It was a shooting star. Its genius was probably best served by the way it ended. Can you imagine if it had gone on and slowly faded, as it surely would have.

tuco

Post by tuco » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:37 pm

So personal insults are censored because .. they are no arguments? lol That is inconsistent as fuck or to put it differently, only inconsistent fuck can claim anything like that.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:08 pm

tuco wrote:So personal insults are censored because .. they are no arguments? lol That is inconsistent as fuck or to put it differently, only inconsistent fuck can claim anything like that.
He's talking about the new (not so new now)sanitised forum, where everything is corporate. The old RDF 'feral' area was a real wild west. I've never experienced anything like it on the internet. Creative, blasphemous, lacking in respect for institutions or pompous individuals. A bubbling mess of uproar at times. Mad at times. Fantastic fun above all else.

tuco

Post by tuco » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:21 pm

I see, I never posted there, was just lurking and even that only on specific topics like free will or evolution and other science related stuff. Never read politics or chit-chat so I would not know.

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:03 am

Rum wrote:
tuco wrote:So personal insults are censored because .. they are no arguments? lol That is inconsistent as fuck or to put it differently, only inconsistent fuck can claim anything like that.
He's talking about the new (not so new now)sanitised forum, where everything is corporate. The old RDF 'feral' area was a real wild west. I've never experienced anything like it on the internet. Creative, blasphemous, lacking in respect for institutions or pompous individuals. A bubbling mess of uproar at times. Mad at times. Fantastic fun above all else.
Yeah I'm a fanboi as I studied biology at university because of Dawkins Selfish Gene book (it blew my mind and opened a overton window) but his behaviour over the forum was unconscionable.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

devogue

Post by devogue » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:01 am

Rum wrote:
Very much this. It was sensational.

He's full of it on that video as well. He claims that the community moderation was hardened to prevent ad hominem attacks, but it was really to prevent "vulgarity" and protect his "good name"'even though years of posts about good, healthy atheist topics like fisting and felching were never to my knowledge used against Dawkins.

The interviewer said that a question like "where do we come from?" (or whatever) would never be censored, but a question like "what does semen taste like?", from someone too squeamish to taste it is just as valid on grounds of curiosity.

Clinton Huxley
19th century monkeybitch.

Post by Clinton Huxley » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:13 am

You can't cross the same river twice, or make a thirteenth episode of Fawlty Towers. And etc.

Galaxian
About me: Too old & too far away from the Beloved...

Post by Galaxian » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:42 am

Rum wrote:
:clap: :cuddle: :cheers: We agree on something! :this: I think he lost his nerve, so gradually tightened the screws :nono:
The true seeker looks for the truth wherever it may be and readily accepts it, without shame, without hope for reward and without fear of punishment._Sam Nejad
There's no Mercy. There's no Justice. There is only Natural Selection! _Galaxian
The more important a news item, the more likely that it's a hidden agenda disinformation_Galaxian
"This world of sheeple has no hope!" Thus just 13 years left before extinction by AI_ Galaxian