Strawman arguments?

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Re: Strawman arguments?

Post by DaveDodo007 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:42 pm

:cry:
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:45 pm

Sorry. :flowers:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:52 pm

I once got in an altercation with Worzel Gummidge.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Mon May 04, 2015 1:58 pm

Animavore wrote:I once got in an altercation with Worzel Gummidge.
People who claim that also eat schnitzel.
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Seth
GrandMaster Zen Troll

Post by Seth » Mon May 04, 2015 6:51 pm

Mr.Samsa wrote:
Seth wrote:
That's what I've been telling everybody for decades now...I'm not a contrarian, they're just always wrong.
It seems strange to think that anyone would call you a contrarian. There are many names that people could call you that might apply but surely everyone sees that you believe what you say.

I do love the idea that you argue against liberals simply for the sake of being contrary though.
Well, it depends on what I say. Many times I don't believe what I say, I just say it for the sake of the debate. Aristotle said, "The mark of an educated mind is the ability to entertain a thought without accepting it."
"Seth is Grandmaster Zen Troll who trains his victims to troll themselves every time they think of him" Robert_S

"All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Those who support denying anyone the right to keep and bear arms for personal defense are fully complicit in every crime that might have been prevented had the victim been effectively armed." Seth

© 2013/2014/2015/2016 Seth, all rights reserved. No reuse, republication, duplication, or derivative work is authorized.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue May 05, 2015 12:15 pm

Seth wrote: Many times I don't believe what I say, I just say it for the sake of the debate. Aristotle said, "The mark of an educated mind is the ability to entertain a thought without accepting it."
...or more aptly what Homer Simpson said:
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:53 am

rainbow wrote:
Seth wrote: Many times I don't believe what I say, I just say it for the sake of the debate. Aristotle said, "The mark of an educated mind is the ability to entertain a thought without accepting it."
That is loser talk, some people work hard and fail and some rely on their god given right not to even try. Then you have the left who want to bring everyone down to their level of incompetence. :D
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Fri May 15, 2015 1:24 am

DaveDodo007 wrote:
rainbow wrote:
That is loser talk, some people work hard and fail and some rely on their god given right not to even try. Then you have the left who want to bring everyone down to their level of incompetence. :D
"Ever tried? Ever failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Samuel Beckett
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

Brian Peacock
Tipping cows since 1946
About me: Ablate me:

Post by Brian Peacock » Fri May 15, 2015 1:31 am

"Oh boy!"

Dr Sam Beckett
Rationalia relies on voluntary donations. There is no obligation of course, but if you value this place and want to see it continue please consider making a small donation towards the forum's running costs.
Details on how to do that can be found here.

"It isn't necessary to imagine the world ending in fire or ice.
There are two other possibilities: one is paperwork, and the other is nostalgia."

Frank Zappa

"This is how humanity ends; bickering over the irrelevant."
Clinton Huxley » 21 Jun 2012 » 14:10:36 GMT

DaveDodo007

Post by DaveDodo007 » Sat May 23, 2015 12:30 am

Seth wrote:
Mr.Samsa wrote:
Seth wrote:
That's what I've been telling everybody for decades now...I'm not a contrarian, they're just always wrong.
It seems strange to think that anyone would call you a contrarian. There are many names that people could call you that might apply but surely everyone sees that you believe what you say.

I do love the idea that you argue against liberals simply for the sake of being contrary though.
Well, it depends on what I say. Many times I don't believe what I say, I just say it for the sake of the debate. Aristotle said, "The mark of an educated mind is the ability to entertain a thought without accepting it."
You are so naive as lefty liberals are right and are always right and don't you dare question them on their righteousness. If you do, you need to be taken to re-education camps which will show you how right they are, it is best for everyone (even if they disagree) on how right the lefty liberals are. They are such authoritarian cunts that I am thinking of how to stock up on guns and ammo and find a safe (well fortified position) space just to be allowed to be wrong on anything and everything. See you in the foxholes. :tup: