Dawkins Pedophilia Remarks - Derail from For Reason & Science

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Dawkins Pedophilia Remarks - Derail from For Reason & Science

Post by Azathoth » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:03 am

WTF Dickie? I think he really has lost the plot
In an interview in The Times magazine on Saturday (Sept. 7), Dawkins, 72, he said he was unable to condemn what he called "the mild pedophilia" he experienced at an English school when he was a child in the 1950s.

Referring to his early days at a boarding school in Salisbury, he recalled how one of the (unnamed) masters "pulled me on his knee and put his hand inside my shorts."

He said other children in his school peer group had been molested by the same teacher but concluded: "I don't think he did any of us lasting harm."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/0 ... 95514.html
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Xamonas Chegwé
Bouncer
Bouncer
About me: I have prehensile eyebrows.
I speak 9 languages fluently, one of which other people can also speak.
When backed into a corner, I fit perfectly - having a right-angled arse.

Re: For Reason and Science?

Post by Xamonas Chegwé » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:06 am

Azathoth wrote:WTF Dickie? I think he really has lost the plot
In an interview in The Times magazine on Saturday (Sept. 7), Dawkins, 72, he said he was unable to condemn what he called "the mild pedophilia" he experienced at an English school when he was a child in the 1950s.

Referring to his early days at a boarding school in Salisbury, he recalled how one of the (unnamed) masters "pulled me on his knee and put his hand inside my shorts."

He said other children in his school peer group had been molested by the same teacher but concluded: "I don't think he did any of us lasting harm."
To be fair, he did go to public school - and a boarding school at that! Anything short of aggravated gang-buggery is counted as trivial in such places. :tea:
A book is a version of the world. If you do not like it, ignore it; or offer your own version in return.
Salman Rushdie
You talk to God, you're religious. God talks to you, you're psychotic.
House MD
Who needs a meaning anyway, I'd settle anyday for a very fine view.
Sandy Denny
This is the wrong forum for bluffing :nono:
Paco
Yes, yes. But first I need to show you this venomous fish!
Calilasseia
I think we should do whatever Pawiz wants.
Twoflower
Bella squats momentarily then waddles on still peeing, like a horse
Millefleur

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:07 am

He said something very similar in The God Delusion in 2006, arguing that it was less damaging than brainwashing a child with religion. So he's not exactly breaking new ground on this one. However, the general public is probably even less forgiving now of child abuse than it was back then.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Azathoth wrote:WTF Dickie? I think he really has lost the plot

To be fair, he was putting it in a similar context as some here did about the celebrity paedophilia "fings was different in them days." He explained essentially that while the current narrative sees paedophilia through the lens of a hysterical media in which paedophilia is linked to pathological loners who rape and murder children, such as Sidney Cooke and Ian Huntley, in his youth it was not.

There is something to that I think. I'm not defending the molestation of children at all, it's a vile unthinkable thing to me, yet it is certainly, sadly, common as a behaviour of our species. In the past we dealt with it differently than we do now. However our current narratives all seem to be raw nerve, knee jerk scorched earth policies towards that which we currently assume to be culturally inappropriate. There is a zero tolerance, not even open for discussion, opinion as FACT theme that runs through this zeitgeist and it seems worst from those who should know better than to think they know better.

We always tell ourselves the current narrative is the correct one and mostly always find out later we were wrong, usually after some pretty and actually horrific behaviour towards a scapegoat group.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Hermit
About me: Cantankerous grump

Post by Hermit » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:46 pm

Audley Strange wrote:
Azathoth wrote:

To be fair, he was putting it in a similar context as some here did about the celebrity paedophilia "fings was different in them days." He explained essentially that while the current narrative sees paedophilia through the lens of a hysterical media in which paedophilia is linked to pathological loners who rape and murder children, such as Sidney Cooke and Ian Huntley, in his youth it was not.

There is something to that I think. I'm not defending the molestation of children at all, it's a vile unthinkable thing to me, yet it is certainly, sadly, common as a behaviour of our species.
Normalisation is not an acceptable argument with which to downplay the reprehensibility of paedophilia.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops. - Stephen J. Gould

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:28 pm

No, but neither I nor I think Dawkins was making that argument at all.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

charlou
arseist

Re: Dawkins Pedophilia Remarks - Derail from For Reason & Sc

Post by charlou » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:06 pm

I don't read it that way either.
no fences

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:10 pm

Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:24 pm

Bella Fortuna wrote:Nor me.

It's in Salon now too: http://www.salon.com/2013/09/10/richard ... ting_harm/
Quotemining and no link to the original article, Salon shows once again that it is nothing but a propaganda sheet. I don't even know what they are up to here, are they telling Richard how he should feel about his own personal experiences.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:27 pm

Gretha Christina is all over this. Calls on Facebook for him to retract.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:27 pm

Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:54 pm

So he's a cultural relativist ... but I would ask if he would, then, take a less harsh view of the mores of currently existing cultures that have not progressed so far with human rights as the West has largely done. My impression is that he doesn't, at least not where extremist religious beliefs and values play a part.
no fences

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:15 am

charlou wrote:So he's a cultural relativist ... but I would ask if he would, then, take a less harsh view of the mores of currently existing cultures that have not progressed so far with human rights as the West has largely done. My impression is that he doesn't, at least not where extremist religious beliefs and values play a part.
Well it's only a matter of cultural relativism so far as our past culture is one that we have no possibility of interacting with. If we could alter the past I have no doubt there would be plenty said to try and raise that culture to our current standards. Cultural relativism always breaks down when and where cultures interact, - it's only when they are truly separate that relativism is meaningful.
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:21 am

I agree.

Is that what RD means, though? I ask only because it's not clear from what I've just read.

I can understand people thinking he's downplaying the lasting effects of abuse, which, by the way, exists beyond past culture, and plays into current culture.

ETA, and the different ways people are affected by abuse too, actually .. What is mild for some may be profoundly disturbing for others, for example .. and vice versa.
no fences

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:48 am

I've arrived at a bigger picture, rationalist approach to my past experiences of abuse too, which enabled my recovery from the effects of them, so I can understand advocating taking a bigger picture, rationalist view of abuse ..

.. but I also know that view can't be imposed on people, and we can't dismiss how other individuals are affected and respond.

OTOH, I think the opposite extreme of over-indulging or exploiting the negative effects of abuse is unhealthy, and counter productive.
no fences