Dawkins interview about memes in Wired.

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Dawkins interview about memes in Wired.

Post by Audley Strange » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:51 pm

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... kins-memes

My favourite question...

"Do you still stand by the "Dear Muslima" comments you made about Rebecca Watson?
I'm not saying anything about her."

Nice one Richard, don't feed the trolls.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Re: Dawkins interview about memes in Wired.

Post by klr » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:58 pm

I found this one interesting:
Q: I read an interview with you in 2010 in which you said you wanted tighter moderation of your website to reduce the number of vitriolic comments. Have you managed to do this?

A: Yes I think so. Our website is actually pretty good as they go. I'm afraid the internet is filled with people using really very intemperate language. I'm in favour of ridicule, but not abuse and I think we do a pretty good job on RichardDawkins.net of controlling the abuse.

Part of the problem all over the internet is anonymity. Because people are anonymous they would say things to other people that they would never dream of saying to their face and would never dream of saying if they had to sign their own name to it. But if you call yourself Tinky Winky or something no one knows who you are or where you are. It's a little bit like when you are driving your car and because you are separated from other people driving cars by the wall of your two cars you give them v-signs and things, which you would never do if you actually met them in the street.
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:01 pm

Indeed, I thought some here might go to that one. I have to say I don't recall any actual abuse at RDF when I was there. Plenty of ridicule and invective though.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

klr

Post by klr » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:04 pm

He's come a long way since ... uh ... Those DaysTM
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:05 pm

I looked for this.
What's the most unusual appearance request you've had?
I was filmed by a Japanese television company and the conceit of the programme was that they'd dress an actor, an Englishman, up as Charles Darwin and he would come and knock at my door and we would have a conversation about the changes that had happened in the subject [of evolutionary biology] since his death. So I told him all about modern genetics and things like that in a way that would have interested Darwin because it would have answered one of the major questions that he himself was worried about. The actor was quite good at playing the part of Darwin, doing good "old man" acting and repeatedly saying things like "yes, that's it!", although he was heavily made up and bits of slap kept on dropping off him the whole time. Then we went out into the street around Oxford and he was pictured being bewildered by traffic and dodging his way through cars.
To no avail :sigh:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 pm

I believe BBC Oxford has footage under "Darwin Zombie terrifies stupid locals"

:{D

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 pm

:wtf:
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:10 pm

Hmm.. did Dawkins finally get his hands on some LSD?

klr

Post by klr » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:12 pm

Audley Strange wrote:Hmm.. did Dawkins finally get his hands on some LSD?
Surely he did that back in the late 1960's when he was at Berkeley?

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:22 pm

Someone brings a few "intemperate" bits from the forum to Richard's attention but not the thousands of...

Good job on "not saying anything about her" though!
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Post by Audley Strange » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:25 pm

klr wrote:
Not that I'm aware of. I recall him discussing Persinger's "God Machine" after trying it and finding it ineffectual and him being asked if he had ever taken it and he said no but he would like to try it one day.

Though I have taken L.S.D, it may have been a hallucinatory flashback... man.

hadespussercats
I've come for your pants.
About me: Looks pretty good, coming out of the back of his neck like that.

Post by hadespussercats » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:05 am

Audley Strange wrote:
klr wrote:
Not that I'm aware of. I recall him discussing Persinger's "God Machine" after trying it and finding it ineffectual and him being asked if he had ever taken it and he said no but he would like to try it one day.

He might have been being circumspect.
The green careening planet
spins blindly in the dark
so close to annihilation.

Listen. No one listens. Meow.

klr

Post by klr » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:11 am

hadespussercats wrote:
Audley Strange wrote:
klr wrote:

He might have been being circumspect.
Or, as all the best people say, "being economical with the truth".

Not saying of course that you're not one of the best people. :pardon:

JacksSmirkingRevenge
Grand Wazoo
About me: Half man - half yak.

Post by JacksSmirkingRevenge » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:40 am

"Memes are interesting, and anyone who disagrees can fuck off."
Sent from my Interositor using Twatatalk.

charlou
arseist

Post by charlou » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:46 am

:lol:

They are, actually :mrgreen:
no fences