Please stay away from Ratskep...for a while Derail!

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Please stay away from Ratskep...for a while Derail!

Post by rainbow » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:15 am

Durro wrote: I'll come back and post when it's safe to visit Ratskep once again.

:td:

Durro
When are you going to reply to my emails regarding the banning appeal?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Durro
Token Straight Guy

Re: Please stay away from Ratskep...for a while.

Post by Durro » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:06 pm

OK, the site is back up. If you're a member there, please read :-

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/annou ... 34759.html

I'd also strongly advise changing your password.

Rainbow - there have been some technical issues with the info@rationalskepticism.org e-mail address in recent months. If you'd like to PM me your grievance here, I'll happily pass it on to the Mod team on your behalf to ensure that it gets there and is considered.

Durro

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:51 am

Durro wrote: Rainbow - there have been some technical issues with the info@rationalskepticism.org e-mail address in recent months. If you'd like to PM me your grievance here, I'll happily pass it on to the Mod team on your behalf to ensure that it gets there and is considered.

Durro
Right, Durro.

I might take your offer seriously if it wasn't you that ignored my original appeal:
Subject:
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 07:57:19 +0200

Information
You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

Reason given for ban: disruptive posting trolling

A ban has been issued on your username.

Dear Board Administrator,

Please give me more information regarding my banning. I had recently been suspended and asked Durro for the instances where I had violated FUA.

These were never given. I'm therefore unsure of why the suspension and subsequent banning were imposed.

I appreciate that my posting style is not to everyone's taste, and my point of view is not that of the majority of the members, however I can't believe that heavy-handed censorship is in the best interests of debate.

I wish to appeal this decision and be given the opportunity to defend myself against these allegations.

With much love

rainbow
Note the date of this mail was June. Has your email been down this long? :ask:
BArF−4

Durro
Token Straight Guy

Post by Durro » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:02 am

I'll pass it on for you.

Durro
Token Straight Guy

Post by Durro » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:11 am

Rainbow, here's the original Mod response in a Feedback thread started to ask why you were banned.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/feedb ... l#p1340303
stijndeloose wrote:Rainbow was banned for being an intractable troll. He repeatedly demonstrated a lack of willingness to engage meaningfully in threads that he joined, despite taking a large role in them and leading members into derails. Further, he continuously made inflammatory comments when questioned about a topic, went to absurd lengths to misrepresent others (whilst maintaining that he had not done so) on a regular basis, had a habit of playing word games to twist the meaning of written text out of all proportion and actively tried to provoke others into breaking the forum rules. Rainbow has been one of the most reported members here: whilst the majority of those reports were closed after giving him the benefit of the doubt for some of his borderline infringements, he was the subject of quite a substantial number of valid reports that contributed to a large number of general modnotes in threads and/or advice and warnings. Despite all the moderation he received over the course of his membership here his behaviour did not change. Therefore, after analysing his pattern of posting behaviour over a lengthy period and going over various arguments for and against this course of action, the staff voted to ban him as a troll.
However, I've passed on your e-mail for the team's consideration.

Durro
Token Straight Guy

Post by Durro » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:12 am

p.s. It might be best to take this to PM rather than derail this thread with a personal discussion about issues from another forum.

rainbow

Post by rainbow » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:19 am

Durro wrote:p.s. It might be best to take this to PM rather than derail this thread with a personal discussion about issues from another forum.
Yes, indeed.

I would have done so, except that you ignored my earlier PM.
BArF−4

Red Celt
Humanist Misanthrope
About me: Crow Philosopher

Post by Red Celt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:20 am

One of the most repugnant aspects of RatSkep (to me) is the idea of so many users clicking away at the Report Icon when they don't like the contents of a post. It is a mindset that belongs in the dystopian mental asylum that is Atheism+, not a forum that is meant to be inhabited by rational skeptics. I mean, I'm mentioning that here, because any conversations of a similar nature on RatSkep get locked very quickly. C'est la vie.

I'm in an angsty mood today. Must get more coffee... :coffee:

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:33 am

Considering that this thread was started in good faith and in consideration of our cross-site users it's probably best not to use it for a rant against ratskep thread. They already exist if you really want to find them.
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

colubridae
Custom Rank: Rank
About me: http://www.essentialart.com/acatalog/Ed ... Stars.html

Post by colubridae » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:19 am

rachelbean wrote:Considering that this thread was started in good faith and in consideration of our cross-site users it's probably best not to use it for a rant against ratskep thread. They already exist if you really want to find them.
That's the "great strength/great weakness" of rationalia.

Rainbow can use this thread to rant if he wants to. It's up to members here whether they want to follow his rant or not.
Rainbow also runs the obvious risk of 'alerting' members to his 'antics' by indulging in ranting here, and thus to his overall posting style. Same for rEv. Same for all the “I’m-here-cos-I-got-fucked-on-Ratskep” members.

stijndeloose wrote:Rainbow was banned for being an intractable troll. He repeatedly demonstrated a lack of willingness to engage meaningfully in threads that he joined, despite taking a large role in them and leading members into derails. Further, he continuously made inflammatory comments when questioned about a topic, went to absurd lengths to misrepresent others (whilst maintaining that he had not done so) on a regular basis, had a habit of playing word games to twist the meaning of written text out of all proportion and actively tried to provoke others into breaking the forum rules. Rainbow has been one of the most reported members here: whilst the majority of those reports were closed after giving him the benefit of the doubt for some of his borderline infringements, he was the subject of quite a substantial number of valid reports that contributed to a large number of general modnotes in threads and/or advice and warnings. Despite all the moderation he received over the course of his membership here his behaviour did not change. Therefore, after analysing his pattern of posting behaviour over a lengthy period and going over various arguments for and against this course of action, the staff voted to ban him as a troll.
This from ratskep certainly alerts me to what rainbow may be like, depending of course on how believable stijndeloose may be.

As for rationalia, my view of the mods here is almost total agreement.
Anything I find askew I’ve put in my six-pennorth as fast as I could.

If it looks like a ‘genuine de-rail’ (though in the context of rationalia a ‘genuine de-rail’ is difficult to imagine) the mods can split the thread.

And of course rachelbean is perfectly entitled to admonish durro and rainbow for their non-PM private messages. If Durro didn’t want to respond to rainbow’s PM it was stupid to get ‘sucked-in’ on the open forum, but that’s his problem, and it makes for mild schadenfreude.
I have a well balanced personality. I've got chips on both shoulders

Durro
Token Straight Guy

Post by Durro » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:25 am

Yeah, good points.

I've taken the discussion with Rainbow to PM. Apologies for the derail.

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:28 am

We have rules on derailing topics here, it's required :{D
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

colubridae
Custom Rank: Rank
About me: http://www.essentialart.com/acatalog/Ed ... Stars.html

Post by colubridae » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:29 am

Durro wrote:Yeah, good points.

I've taken the discussion with Rainbow to PM. Apologies for the derail.
Fuck! Shot self in foot. I was enjoying the schadenfreude. :lay: :funny:

Nice to see an apology, but I didn't think one was needed. :think:
I have a well balanced personality. I've got chips on both shoulders

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:30 am

colubridae, I have no problem with the conversations happening in the open, but it's not in the pub, so derails aren't something that should be encouraged. It seems shitty that Durro came here and posted something that was only helpful to us (and that he didn't have to) only to be jumped on for something that has nothing to do with what he posted. But I'm not a mod, if I were I probably would have locked the thread after Durro posted the note because it's obvious there are members here who have little to contribute to this board EXCEPT to shit on ratskep and it's mods.
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

Red Celt
Humanist Misanthrope
About me: Crow Philosopher

Post by Red Celt » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:57 am

rachelbean wrote:Considering that this thread was started in good faith and in consideration of our cross-site users it's probably best not to use it for a rant against ratskep thread. They already exist if you really want to find them.
No ta. I've had some coffee, now. :)