I know you're all tired of this, but ...

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Skinny Puppy

Re: I know you're all tired of this, but ...

Post by Skinny Puppy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:17 pm

Tyrannical wrote:
Ian wrote:I wouldn't count on it. He launched his hate campaign over at Pharyngula, but hasn't come here much except to briefly call us all a nest of cockroaches. Besides, he asked to have his account suspended.
Perhaps we may get lucky and he decides to take his medication before posting. I'm curious if he can discuss things he doesn't like or agree with without resorting to acting like a sixth grader.
Odd that you’re insulting sixth graders? :shock: They are actually quite intelligent. Perhaps you need to aim lower, much lower, like grade 1? :ask:

Tyrannical

Post by Tyrannical » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Skinny Puppy wrote:
Tyrannical wrote:
Ian wrote:I wouldn't count on it. He launched his hate campaign over at Pharyngula, but hasn't come here much except to briefly call us all a nest of cockroaches. Besides, he asked to have his account suspended.
Perhaps we may get lucky and he decides to take his medication before posting. I'm curious if he can discuss things he doesn't like or agree with without resorting to acting like a sixth grader.
Odd that you’re insulting sixth graders? :shock: They are actually quite intelligent. Perhaps you need to aim lower, much lower, like grade 1? :ask:
Some are, which is why I said acting like one while implying in a stereotypical manner. First grader's aren't known for their potty mouths.
A rational skeptic should be able to discuss and debate anything, no matter how much they may personally disagree with that point of view. Discussing a subject is not agreeing with it, but understanding it.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:18 pm

Not according to my ex, who is a teacher. Some of the stuff she tells me... :o
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

pErvinalia
On the good stuff
About me: Spelling 'were' 'where'

Post by pErvinalia » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:42 pm

It seems PZ has chucked a 'nani.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/gener ... l#p1407956

(well worth the click through).
Sent from my penis using wankertalk.
"The Western world is fucking awesome because of mostly white men" - DaveDodo007.
"Socialized medicine is just exactly as morally defensible as gassing and cooking Jews" - Seth. Yes, he really did say that..
"Seth you are a boon to this community" - Cunt.
"I am seriously thinking of going on a spree killing" - Svartalf.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:51 pm

trollin' tiem :biggrin:
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Jaygray

Post by Jaygray » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:59 pm

rEvolutionist wrote:Not according to my ex, who is a teacher. Some of the stuff she tells me... :o
Yep, my wife says the same stuff.
rEvolutionist wrote:It seems PZ has chucked a 'nani.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/gener ... l#p1407956

(well worth the click through).
...and there's the proof! :funny:

PZ, go stand in the corner and think about what you just said! :sulk:

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Calilasseia wrote:... I felt it was time to say something on recent events, having engaged in relevant deliberations. Accordingly, I offer this.

An Open Letter To PZ Myers

I have some questions arising from recent events. PZ, if you're observing this, please take your time to study them, and then provide an answer.

[1] Does not having launched into a spate of venomous abuse against Pappa, as a result of my not being aware of the thread in question, prior to your intervention, make me a "rape apologist"?

[2] Does not abandoning friends I made a good long time ago, just because one of them happens to have made an ill-conceived attempt at humour, make me a "cockroach"?

[3] Does the phrase "I disagree in the strongest terms with what you say, but I defend to the death your right to say it" resonate with you at all?

[4] Given that several here have had personal experience, with respect to the matter of escaping the rule by decree and thought policing so beloved of supernaturalists, does it not strike you as woefully ironic, to be seen as engaging in the same behaviour as your purported enemies in this matter, with respect to your interventions?

I would prefer substantive answers instead of one line dismissals if possible.

Yours sincerely,

Calilasseia.
I wish you all the best with your endeavour.
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:03 pm

Shamelessly lifted from Dev's post at RS (thank you for posting this, Dev):
To the World:
Hello, my name is Andy and I’m the owner of Gelato Mio, a gelato shop located in Springfield, Missouri. There has been quite a lot of buzz and discussion concerning a picture of the sign I briefly posted in my front window Saturday evening. I’d like to take this opportunity to tell my story and offer a heartfelt apology to your community. I messed up, plain and simple. This is NOT an excuse, but how it happened from my perspective.
I decided to welcome the convention downtown by offering the attendees 10% off their purchases at my store. A lot of the group from the convention were stopping by, being very polite and enjoying my Gelato. Saturday night started out as a great night. Once the store slowed down, I decided to walk down the street to learn more about the convention, fully thinking it was something involving UFOs (“skeptics”). What I saw instead was a man conducting a mock sermon, reading the bible and cursing it. Instead of saying “Amen”, the phrase was “god damn”. Being a Christian, and expecting flying saucers, I was not only totally surprised but totally offended. I took it very personally and quickly decided in the heat of the moment that I had to take matters into my own hands and let people know how I felt at that moment in time.
So, I went quickly back to my business, grabbed the first piece of paper I could find, wrote the note and taped it in my front window. This was an impulsive response, which I fully acknowledge was completely wrong and unacceptable. The sign was posted for about 10 minutes or so before I calmed down, came to my senses, and took it down. For what it’s worth, nobody was turned away. I strongly believe that everybody is entitled to their beliefs. I’m not apologizing for my beliefs, but rather for my inexcusable actions. I was wrong.
Guys, I really don’t know what else I can do to express my apologies. I’ve received dozens of calls and hundreds of emails since the incident, and have done my best to reply to each and every one and express my regret for what happened. For the thousands of you whom I’ve offended, I sincerely apologize. I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me. This is me as a human being sincerely apologizing for my actions.
To those of you who accept my apology, Thank You; it means a lot. To those of you who haven’t, I hope you will. I’m just a 28 year old small business owner who made a big mistake. I hope you see that I have not made any excuses, I’ve owned up to what I did, and I apologize.
For what it’s worth, an Atheist reached out to me to help me work through all of this and contact your community directly. I graciously accepted his offer.
I will give everyone who comes to my store this week 10% off as a token of my apology. Really, what’s more universal than ice cream?
Sincerely, Andy
http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comment ... the_owner/

PZ Myers' response:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -skeptics/
:ddpan:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

cogwheel
About me: "Are you the first person ever to post their first ever post directly into NSFW?"

Post by cogwheel » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Bella Fortuna wrote:Shamelessly lifted from Dev's post at RS (thank you for posting this, Dev):
To the World:
Hello, my name is Andy and I’m the owner of Gelato Mio, a gelato shop located in Springfield, Missouri. There has been quite a lot of buzz and discussion concerning a picture of the sign I briefly posted in my front window Saturday evening. I’d like to take this opportunity to tell my story and offer a heartfelt apology to your community. I messed up, plain and simple. This is NOT an excuse, but how it happened from my perspective.
I decided to welcome the convention downtown by offering the attendees 10% off their purchases at my store. A lot of the group from the convention were stopping by, being very polite and enjoying my Gelato. Saturday night started out as a great night. Once the store slowed down, I decided to walk down the street to learn more about the convention, fully thinking it was something involving UFOs (“skeptics”). What I saw instead was a man conducting a mock sermon, reading the bible and cursing it. Instead of saying “Amen”, the phrase was “god damn”. Being a Christian, and expecting flying saucers, I was not only totally surprised but totally offended. I took it very personally and quickly decided in the heat of the moment that I had to take matters into my own hands and let people know how I felt at that moment in time.
So, I went quickly back to my business, grabbed the first piece of paper I could find, wrote the note and taped it in my front window. This was an impulsive response, which I fully acknowledge was completely wrong and unacceptable. The sign was posted for about 10 minutes or so before I calmed down, came to my senses, and took it down. For what it’s worth, nobody was turned away. I strongly believe that everybody is entitled to their beliefs. I’m not apologizing for my beliefs, but rather for my inexcusable actions. I was wrong.
Guys, I really don’t know what else I can do to express my apologies. I’ve received dozens of calls and hundreds of emails since the incident, and have done my best to reply to each and every one and express my regret for what happened. For the thousands of you whom I’ve offended, I sincerely apologize. I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me. This is me as a human being sincerely apologizing for my actions.
To those of you who accept my apology, Thank You; it means a lot. To those of you who haven’t, I hope you will. I’m just a 28 year old small business owner who made a big mistake. I hope you see that I have not made any excuses, I’ve owned up to what I did, and I apologize.
For what it’s worth, an Atheist reached out to me to help me work through all of this and contact your community directly. I graciously accepted his offer.
I will give everyone who comes to my store this week 10% off as a token of my apology. Really, what’s more universal than ice cream?
Sincerely, Andy
http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comment ... the_owner/

PZ Myers' response:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -skeptics/
:ddpan:

Ayup. That was one of the last nails in the coffin for my respect for PZ.

Sean Hayden
Microagressor
About me: recovering humanist

Post by Sean Hayden » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:35 pm

They make me feel like a hippie.

Do you think they're really that hard?

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:48 pm

rainbow wrote:
JimC wrote:If he won't treat Cali seriously, he wouldn't treat anyone seriously...
I find Cali too boring to take seriously. :bored:
Of course, very understandable; if you have very little clue how the universe works, and little cognitive capacity, it would be a little tiresome. Go and buy some comic books, there's a good chap...
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

hackenslash
Fundie Baiter...errr. Fun Debater
About me: I've got a little black book with my poems in...

Post by hackenslash » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:27 pm

:this:
Dogma is the death of the intellect

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:36 am

JimC wrote:
rainbow wrote:
JimC wrote:If he won't treat Cali seriously, he wouldn't treat anyone seriously...
Of course, very understandable; if you have very little clue how the universe works, and little cognitive capacity, it would be a little tiresome. Go and buy some comic books, there's a good chap...
Fuck off you toadie. I don't take Cali seriously either, but you're welcome to make the same fallacious ad hominem argument against me, and see how persuaded I am by your illogic.

rainbow
About me: Egal wie dicht du bist, Goethe war Dichter

Post by rainbow » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:43 am

JimC wrote:
rainbow wrote:
You must be right. I'd join the fanclub, but I can't find the Website for Caliarselickersunite.com.

Perhaps you could help?
I call bullshit - Alfred E Einstein
BArF−4

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:57 am

I like Cali. I also like Jim and rasetsu.

Can't we all just share a gelato with Jesus?
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange