I know you're all tired of this, but ...

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Audley Strange
"I blame the victim"

Re: I know you're all tired of this, but ...

Post by Audley Strange » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:53 am

Seems like Inquisitor Myers really does have no level of self awareness. He compared himself to Walter Fucking White and yet does not see that he himself is very publicly and very openly breaking bad.

I'll take a decent human being who believes in Christianity and can see he makes errors over a bitter increasingly unstable atheist who thinks his fucking ideology is objectively perfect any single day of the week.

Morbid fascination is all I have left now.
"What started as a legitimate effort by the townspeople of Salem to identify, capture and kill those who did Satan's bidding quickly deteriorated into a witch hunt" Army Man

Atheist-Lite
Formerly known as Crumple
About me: You need a jetpack? Here, take mine. I don't need a jetpack this far away.

Post by Atheist-Lite » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:10 am

Audley Strange wrote:Seems like Inquisitor Myers really does have no level of self awareness. He compared himself to Walter Fucking White and yet does not see that he himself is very publicly and very openly breaking bad.

I'll take a decent human being who believes in Christianity and can see he makes errors over a bitter increasingly unstable atheist who thinks his fucking ideology is objectively perfect any single day of the week.

Morbid fascination is all I have left now.
That is all I ever had to tell the truth. :smoke:
nxnxm,cm,m,fvmf,vndfnm,nm,f,dvm,v v vmfm,vvm,d,dd vv sm,mvd,fmf,fn ,v fvfm,

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:17 am

Robert_S wrote:I like Cali. I also like Jim and rasetsu.

Can't we all just share a gelato with Jesus?
I'm sure Jesus would like that

Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:41 am

rachelbean wrote:Cali is anything but boring :lol:
Meaning I have to meet him in person, I must admit that his passion for things entomological doesn't carry well across the internet.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:47 am

rEvolutionist wrote:It seems PZ has chucked a 'nani.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/gener ... l#p1407956

(well worth the click through).
Damn you eyes... you brought me into that trap and I made my veryt first post on Ratskep. You happy now?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:50 am

Bella Fortuna wrote:Shamelessly lifted from Dev's post at RS (thank you for posting this, Dev):
To the World:
Hello, my name is Andy and I’m the owner of Gelato Mio, a gelato shop located in Springfield, Missouri. There has been quite a lot of buzz and discussion concerning a picture of the sign I briefly posted in my front window Saturday evening. I’d like to take this opportunity to tell my story and offer a heartfelt apology to your community. I messed up, plain and simple. This is NOT an excuse, but how it happened from my perspective.
I decided to welcome the convention downtown by offering the attendees 10% off their purchases at my store. A lot of the group from the convention were stopping by, being very polite and enjoying my Gelato. Saturday night started out as a great night. Once the store slowed down, I decided to walk down the street to learn more about the convention, fully thinking it was something involving UFOs (“skeptics”). What I saw instead was a man conducting a mock sermon, reading the bible and cursing it. Instead of saying “Amen”, the phrase was “god damn”. Being a Christian, and expecting flying saucers, I was not only totally surprised but totally offended. I took it very personally and quickly decided in the heat of the moment that I had to take matters into my own hands and let people know how I felt at that moment in time.
So, I went quickly back to my business, grabbed the first piece of paper I could find, wrote the note and taped it in my front window. This was an impulsive response, which I fully acknowledge was completely wrong and unacceptable. The sign was posted for about 10 minutes or so before I calmed down, came to my senses, and took it down. For what it’s worth, nobody was turned away. I strongly believe that everybody is entitled to their beliefs. I’m not apologizing for my beliefs, but rather for my inexcusable actions. I was wrong.
Guys, I really don’t know what else I can do to express my apologies. I’ve received dozens of calls and hundreds of emails since the incident, and have done my best to reply to each and every one and express my regret for what happened. For the thousands of you whom I’ve offended, I sincerely apologize. I hope you can find it in your hearts to forgive me. This is me as a human being sincerely apologizing for my actions.
To those of you who accept my apology, Thank You; it means a lot. To those of you who haven’t, I hope you will. I’m just a 28 year old small business owner who made a big mistake. I hope you see that I have not made any excuses, I’ve owned up to what I did, and I apologize.
For what it’s worth, an Atheist reached out to me to help me work through all of this and contact your community directly. I graciously accepted his offer.
I will give everyone who comes to my store this week 10% off as a token of my apology. Really, what’s more universal than ice cream?
Sincerely, Andy
http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comment ... the_owner/

PZ Myers' response:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -skeptics/
:ddpan:
Dev? you mean Devogue? the wine merchant from NI who went to NZ? or is that somebody else whose story I might then regard as other than mendacious?

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:53 am

I like my icecream real, and it would be a shame to give real gelato to an imaginary character who'll let it go to waste.

tantamount

Post by tantamount » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:11 pm

Bella Fortuna wrote:Shamelessly lifted from Dev's post at RS (thank you for posting this, Dev):
To the World:
Hello, my name is Andy and I’m the owner of Gelato Mio, [...]

http://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/comment ... the_owner/

PZ Myers' response:

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/ ... -skeptics/
:ddpan:
I seriously think PZ might need to take a vacation. He's making more and more poor decisions.

Gelato guy posted a dinky little notice on his shop for 10 minutes, realized he was in the wrong, sincerely and extensively apologized (with a real apology and not a "if I offended anyone" non-apology) and made good with it by offering a discount. What more can you ask for?

If I hadn't seen PZ's responses myself and saw them quoted, I would've assumed they were parody. When you are becoming a parody of yourself, that's when it's time to "reassess."

tantamount

Post by tantamount » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:51 pm

(Uh, not sure why I can't edit my previous post, anyway:)

The gelato episode and the pharyngula article is apparently from November 22, 2011 ... Why we commenting on it now?

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:11 pm

The ability to edit goes away after a period of time.
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:24 pm

So that Rationalia's Skepticon contingent can make sure to stop by and represent the more relaxed and understanding side of us.

Fuck the atheist thought police!
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

DaveDodo007
About me: When ever I behave as a man I am called sexist, It seems being a male is now illegal and nobody sent me the memo. Good job as I would have told them to fuck off.

Post by DaveDodo007 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:31 pm

Robert_S wrote:So that Rationalia's Skepticon contingent can make sure to stop by and represent the more relaxed and understanding side of us.

I know it's a fucking joke. All the time we have been complaining about the theists linking atheism with the mass murderers of communism. Our answer was but but they didn't kill in the name of atheism and atheism isn't an ideology. Then non dictionary atheist P Z Myers comes along and says we are/or should be a ideology. Way to shoot yourself in the foot while scoring an own goal. Fuck this, is he a secret theist or something trying to undermine atheism from the inside. :nervous:
We should be MOST skeptical of ideas we like because we are sufficiently skeptical of ideas that we don't like. Penn Jillette.

JimC
The sentimental bloke
About me: To be serious about gin requires years of dedicated research.

Post by JimC » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:35 pm

Robert_S wrote:
As long as it's consensual, why not?

:hehe:
Nurse, where the fuck's my cardigan?
And my gin!

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:39 pm

Svartalf wrote:

I like my icecream real, and it would be a shame to give real gelato to an imaginary character who'll let it go to waste.
Jebus Gelato repeats on you three days later.
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

cogwheel
About me: "Are you the first person ever to post their first ever post directly into NSFW?"

Post by cogwheel » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:18 pm

DaveDodo007 wrote:
Robert_S wrote:So that Rationalia's Skepticon contingent can make sure to stop by and represent the more relaxed and understanding side of us.

I know it's a fucking joke. All the time we have been complaining about the theists linking atheism with the mass murderers of communism. Our answer was but but they didn't kill in the name of atheism and atheism isn't an ideology. Then non dictionary atheist P Z Myers comes along and says we are/or should be a ideology. Way to shoot yourself in the foot while scoring an own goal. Fuck this, is he a secret theist or something trying to undermine atheism from the inside. :nervous:
I'm sure that wasn't his plan from the beginning, but somewhere along the way he found God (himself).