The Civil War Within Skepticism

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Re: The Civil War Within Skepticism

Post by Azathoth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:35 pm

:pop:
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Gallstones
Supreme Absolute And Exclusive Ruler Of The World
About me: A fleck on a flake on a speck.

Post by Gallstones » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:47 pm

I wonder if the Skepchicks aren't getting a lot of mileage--and they are getting a LOT of mileage--out of all this concern.

And a whole year of it? :lol:

How many wars is it now ? :ask:
Three?
Four?
Or just one big one on different fronts?
But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:05 am

Gallstones wrote:I wonder if the Skepchicks aren't getting a lot of mileage--and they are getting a LOT of mileage--out of all this concern.

Three?
Four?
Thank goodness for CES, keeping it all alive... :tup:
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:13 am

Actually, in defense of Gallstones, I was in fact wowed by a recent video she posted in the music listening thread. It's bad enough that you can't get the important bits right. You can't even get the unimportant bits right.

Gallstones

Post by Gallstones » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:37 am

maiforpeace wrote:
Gallstones wrote:I wonder if the Skepchicks aren't getting a lot of mileage--and they are getting a LOT of mileage--out of all this concern.

Three?
Four?
Thank goodness for CES, keeping it all alive... :tup:
Yes, else what would we have to talk about that we don't give a fuck about? :td:
But here’s the thing about rights. They’re not actually supposed to be voted on. That’s why they’re called rights. ~Rachel Maddow August 2010

The Second Amendment forms a fourth branch of government (an armed citizenry) in case the government goes mad. ~Larry Nutter

Gallstones

Post by Gallstones » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:09 am

You can say I don't keep my promises, but you'd be wrong.

rachelbean
"awesome."
About me: I'm a nerd.

Post by rachelbean » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:07 pm

I think the issue for many of us here is that we are atheists but we don't really consider ourselves part of any movement as such. There are authors and speakers that I enjoy or follow, but I don't attend conferences and I don't really care for the most part about any politics going on between internet celebrities. I don't even know who/what skepchick is, if these threads didn't exist I wouldn't be aware of any drama in that world at all.

Do I think swingers handing a speaker a postcard is harrasment? Nope. From what I have read does it seem like there has been an overreaction to normal human interaction? Yep. I just can't bring myself to care what the outcome of any of this infighting between people I don't know, is.

If this involved ratz/ratz meets then I'd definitely care.
lordpasternack wrote:Yeah - I fuckin' love oppressin' ma wimmin, like I love chowin' on ma bacon and tuggin' on ma ol' cock… ;)
Pappa wrote:God is a cunt! I wank over pictures of Jesus! I love Darwin so much I'd have sex with his bones!!!!

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:02 pm

This is the Wilder Web forum though.

This is the place to give a platform for and/or quarantine off discussions of other sites and whatever drama might be going on. It is in public, view but one of the benefits of registering here is that you can make it invisible. I don't want to hide it, but I rather like having the option to if I ever feel like it.
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:50 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSHipqT1 ... re=g-all-u[/youtube] At 11 minutes in, Greg Laden is saying that all the death threats he gets is "not the same" as similar threats toward a woman - the women on the panel seem to agree (Watson nods approvingly). I've made this point before. It seems to me that this is at the heart of it. Women are more vulnerable to nasty words than men. Is this the argument feminists really want to make?

Coito ergo sum

Post by Coito ergo sum » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 pm

Thunderf00t Pwns PZboy -- [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96FtpDLi ... re=g-all-u[/youtube]

rasetsu
Ne'er-do-well
About me: Move along. Nothing to see here.

Post by rasetsu » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:39 am

Atheist-Lite
Formerly known as Crumple
About me: You need a jetpack? Here, take mine. I don't need a jetpack this far away.

Post by Atheist-Lite » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:32 am

Words can indirectly kill. It is not only women but sensitive entities of any sort are vulnerable to harsh words. Look at the whales? Consider the profanity of the fishermen? Too many 'loud-meaningless' sounds indicate a hunt. I rarely use expletives. You will not see the implication from SETI until it hits you. :smoke:
nxnxm,cm,m,fvmf,vndfnm,nm,f,dvm,v v vmfm,vvm,d,dd vv sm,mvd,fmf,fn ,v fvfm,

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:46 am

rachelbean wrote:I think the issue for many of us here is that we are atheists but we don't really consider ourselves part of any movement as such. There are authors and speakers that I enjoy or follow, but I don't attend conferences and I don't really care for the most part about any politics going on between internet celebrities. I don't even know who/what skepchick is, if these threads didn't exist I wouldn't be aware of any drama in that world at all.

Do I think swingers handing a speaker a postcard is harrasment? Nope. From what I have read does it seem like there has been an overreaction to normal human interaction? Yep. I just can't bring myself to care what the outcome of any of this infighting between people I don't know, is.

If this involved ratz/ratz meets then I'd definitely care.
My view and experience exactly. A storm in a navel gazing teacup from my perspective.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:52 am

I have a confession to make. It's been killing me this last year but I'm past caring any more. It was me, in Dublin. I am "elevator guy". :oops:

j/k
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.