Dawkins sues Josh Timonen

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
hackenslash
Fundie Baiter...errr. Fun Debater
About me: I've got a little black book with my poems in...

Re: Dawkins sues Timonen

Post by hackenslash » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:53 pm

Well, who'dathunk?
Dogma is the death of the intellect

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:54 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:Any chance of a prison term if he can't cough up the cash?

I guess it depends on if it remains in civil court, or if the county decides to charge him criminally. In that case, it would be up to the discretion of the court. Anything over $400 is considered grand theft and could result in a prison term.

http://law.justia.com/california/codes/ ... 3-515.html

EDIT: At Dawkins age it could also be considered financial elder abuse and could carry even stiffer penalties.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]

electricwhiteboy
Ipsissimus

Post by electricwhiteboy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:57 pm

klr wrote:This puts a slightly new spin on events two years ago, specifically JT's swiftness in acting in accordance with his master's wishes. RD could have shut down the entire web site if he wanted to. And maybe it also partly explains why JT cared not a whit for the forum otherwise. No money to be made there ... :levi:
I have a personal theory about why the off topic was a bugbear for Dawkins, there's been rumours that old Dicky has a MAJOR problem keeping it in his trousers which is kept out the press by very good PR. When the sexual threads got pulled this was around the time that apparently a story about the Dawk was trying to be kept under wraps. Essentially if the press did ever run the story, then having that sort of material on the site would have caused a field day for the right wing press.
OK it’s a bit hypocritical and cowardly, but it wouldn’t have exactly helped the image of the Foundation from a PR view.

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:59 pm

Interesting... :eddy:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:01 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
klr wrote:This puts a slightly new spin on events two years ago, specifically JT's swiftness in acting in accordance with his master's wishes. RD could have shut down the entire web site if he wanted to. And maybe it also partly explains why JT cared not a whit for the forum otherwise. No money to be made there ... :levi:
I have a personal theory about why the off topic was a bugbear for Dawkins, there's been rumours that old Dicky has a MAJOR problem keeping it in his trousers which is kept out the press by very good PR. When the sexual threads got pulled this was around the time that apparently a story about the Dawk was trying to be kept under wraps. Essentially if the press did ever run the story, then having that sort of material on the site would have caused a field day for the right wing press.
OK it’s a bit hypocritical and cowardly, but it wouldn’t have exactly helped the image of the Foundation from a PR view.
I've sold that story to The Sun.

Too late to recant.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

electricwhiteboy
Ipsissimus

Post by electricwhiteboy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:09 pm

Animavore wrote:
electricwhiteboy wrote:

Too late to recant.
The way I understand it is that Dawkins has something of an open marriage, which he's at pains to keep under wraps. If the press DID report it he could in all likelihood sue for invasion of privacy. This is all rumour mill stuff but certain bloggers have deleted posts and shut the hell up after his PR people got wind of them. [Cough] Allegedly.

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:10 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
Animavore wrote:
electricwhiteboy wrote:

Too late to recant.
The way I understand it is that Dawkins has something of an open marriage, which he's at pains to keep under wraps. If the press DID report it he could in all likelihood sue for invasion of privacy. This is all rumour mill stuff but certain bloggers have deleted posts and shut the hell up after his PR people got wind of them. [Cough] Allegedly.
Meh. Whatever. You just tunred a drunken joke into something serious.

:drunk:
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

electricwhiteboy
Ipsissimus

Post by electricwhiteboy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Animavore wrote:Meh. Whatever. You just tunred a drunken joke into something serious.

Nah, just clarifiying for the offical record. :tea:

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:15 pm

electricwhiteboy wrote:
Animavore wrote:Meh. Whatever. You just tunred a drunken joke into something serious.

Nah, just clarifiying for the offical record. :tea:

(I've to give up being Irish)

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:46 pm

And on the day we wanted something interesting to talk about too! There must be a god...

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Thinking Aloud wrote:And on the day we wanted something interesting to talk about too! There must be a god...
Ah. Just the person I had in mind for tinkering with the picture above. :coffee:
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

RuleBritannia
Cupid is a cunt!
About me: About you

Post by RuleBritannia » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:10 pm

:funny: You couldn't make it up!
RuleBritannia © MMXI

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:18 pm

ahem.jpg

Bella Fortuna
Sister Golden Hair
About me: Being your slave, what should I do but tend
Upon the hours and times of your desire?
I have no precious time at all to spend,
Nor services to do, till you require.

Post by Bella Fortuna » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:19 pm

:funny:
Sent from my Bollocksberry using Crapatalk.
Food, cooking, and disreputable nonsense: http://miscreantsdiner.blogspot.com/

amused
amused
About me: Reinvention phase initiated

Post by amused » Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:28 pm

There were 80,000 registered users of the RDF forums when Timonen destroyed them. That forum had a significant monetary value to marketers. For example, it would now be running ads for Sam Harris' new book. Dawkins should also sue for damages due to the loss of that forum.