A Possible Change In The Rules - RatSkep tangent

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
NineOneFour
About me: Married, ethnically German, hardcore Social Democrat, ex-Dittohead, ex-Libertarian, went to Catholic school, father was a religious cultist who thought he had the gift of prophecy and could communicate with the "other side".
So, had a weird life. Better now.

Re: A Possible Change In The Rules - RatSkep tangent

Post by NineOneFour » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:Seriously. Don't like it, don't post there. Easy fix. Sheesh.
Try to post there, but in regard to a sacred cow, and get attacked by the members AND the staff.
Oh gosh I'm so sorry that one cannot start threads on how stupid black people are or how the holocaust didn't happen or how inferior women are.

The sheer horror. The horror. The horror.

NineOneFour
About me: Married, ethnically German, hardcore Social Democrat, ex-Dittohead, ex-Libertarian, went to Catholic school, father was a religious cultist who thought he had the gift of prophecy and could communicate with the "other side".

Post by NineOneFour » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Pappa wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:I fail to see why the fuck anyone here has to trash Ratskep.
I think they're just RatSkep/Rationalia members choosing this place as a platform to moan about it. I don't like it any more than you.
Thanks, peace out, man.

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:53 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
Ghatanothoa wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
FBM wrote:rEv, like I said before, I don't post at RatSkep much, do you think the majority of the members there are satisfied/happy with its moderation?
Yes.
They get banned if they aren't
Well, that's a lie.
Proof?
NineOneFour wrote:I'll take it back if you can show ONE person banned permanently from Ratskep specifically for not being happy with their moderation.

Go for it.
Got a list of everybody banned? And can you tell me that the reason they were banned wasn't at least partially because they didn't like the moderation style? And said so? The staff over there is a bit power-mad IMNSHO.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:54 pm

NineOneFour wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
Try to post there, but in regard to a sacred cow, and get attacked by the members AND the staff.
Oh gosh I'm so sorry that one cannot start threads on how stupid black people are or how the holocaust didn't happen or how inferior women are.

Silly post was silly.

ozewiezeloose
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by ozewiezeloose » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:55 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:I'll take it back if you can show ONE person banned permanently from Ratskep specifically for not being happy with their moderation.

Go for it.
Got a list of everybody banned? And can you tell me that the reason they were banned wasn't at least partially because they didn't like the moderation style? And said so? The staff over there is a bit power-mad IMNSHO.
Proof?

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:56 pm

NineOneFour wrote:I honestly don't either; my problem is with the fucking ongoing whinefest in the Feedback threads at Ratskep, usually made by people who are uninformed or have a hidden agenda.

I like Ratskep better than Rationalia, and others are free to like Rationalia better than Ratskep.

I fail to see why the fuck anyone here has to trash Ratskep. Both places have their good parts and bad parts. So does every forum.

Also, every forum in the history of the Interwebs has people complaining moderators are too strict or too lax. BFD.
NineOneFour wrote:
FBM wrote:
Seraph wrote:And none of that has anything to do with modding style? :think:
I don't think so. My point is that we've gravitated here because we like to play more than we like to compare IQs. In my limited experience, the balance swings in favor of IQ-comparisons over there. I like to play more than I like to compete for highest IQ, so I'm here more than I'm there. But I don't hold it against either the membership or the staff at RatSkep or TR because of their preferences. It just is what it is, and I don't see a good reason to expect or demand that it be different. :dono:

Perfect summary, thank you.
No sweat. From my perspective, I see too much self-righteous indignation on both sides of the imagined divide.
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:57 pm

ozewiezeloose wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Go for it.
Proof?
Empirical. They gave me a hard time for even suggesting that philosophy was a fucking waste of time. Sacred topic, mustn't even suggest it.

95Theses

Post by 95Theses » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Gawdzilla wrote: Got a list of everybody banned? And can you tell me that the reason they were banned wasn't at least partially because they didn't like the moderation style? And said so? The staff over there is a bit power-mad IMNSHO.
Yes, here it is :

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/feedb ... t2022.html

And considering you boasted here about how you were going to go over to Ratskep and troll until you got banned, and you only managed to get two warnings before you got bored and fucked off I'm not sure how you can say everyone is power mad. You specifically tried to troll your way to a ban and didn't manage it.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell.

Robert_S
Cookie Monster
About me: Too young to die of boredom, too old to grow up.

Post by Robert_S » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Apparently, it cannot be pointed out often enough that a troll with any pride and and skill will not be the one violating a Terms of Use. What a proper troll will do is to present a point of view in a tone that is calculated to elicit an emotional response from another user, causing them to get angry and make a personal attack, insults, or some other breech the rules and possibly get a warning or suspension.

If I could present my ideas in a friendly way that makes them palatable to someone who disagrees with me and causing them to reevaluate their own position, but instead choose to be an abrasive prick; then I'm fucking trolling. If there are a number of libertarians, librarians, communists, or what have you and just one of them is hated almost universally, they're probably a troll. Although, they might just be a chronic asshole.

Unfortunately, since there are innumerable ways to get under someone's skin without resorting to a direct personal attack or group insult, prospects are slim that there will never be a sufficient formal set of rules that both filters out all the trolls and allows for an unstifled, easy going exchange of views.

But this is not necessarily cause for abject despair: There are informal rules, sometimes called guidelines, and there are informal methods such as derails, parody threads and general mockery.

I love this forum. :huggeroo:
What I've found with a few discussions I've had lately is this self-satisfaction that people express with their proffessed open mindedness. In realty it ammounts to wilful ignorance and intellectual cowardice as they are choosing to not form any sort of opinion on a particular topic. Basically "I don't know and I'm not going to look at any evidence because I'm quite happy on this fence."
-Mr P

The Net is best considered analogous to communication with disincarnate intelligences. As any neophyte would tell you. Do not invoke that which you have no facility to banish.
Audley Strange

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:59 pm

95Theses wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote: Got a list of everybody banned? And can you tell me that the reason they were banned wasn't at least partially because they didn't like the moderation style? And said so? The staff over there is a bit power-mad IMNSHO.
Yes, here it is :

And considering you boasted here about how you were going to go over to Ratskep and troll until you got banned, and you only managed to get two warnings before you got bored and fucked off I'm not sure how you can say everyone is power mad. You specifically tried to troll your way to a ban and didn't manage it.
You missed a lot of PMs, I take it? I was guaranteed I'd be banned if I stayed, so my point was proven.

ozewiezeloose
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by ozewiezeloose » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:00 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
ozewiezeloose wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Go for it.
Proof?
Empirical. They gave me a hard time for even suggesting that philosophy was a fucking waste of time. Sacred topic, mustn't even suggest it.
I still haven't seen any evidence that members get banned for not liking the moderation style.

95Theses

Post by 95Theses » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:03 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
95Theses wrote:
Yes, here it is :

You missed a lot of PMs, I take it? I was guaranteed I'd be banned if I stayed, so my point was proven.
Well yes, but as i remember the reason you were getting so many PM's is that you had stated you were intent on trolling your way to a ban and people were trying to talk you out of it instead of just banning you.

Of course, if you had decided to stay and continue your deliberate and self admitted trolling the only alternative would have been to ban you. Some people were a bit worried that you had gone a bit mental actually and genuinely gave a shit.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell.

Thinking Aloud
Page Bottomer

Post by Thinking Aloud » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Robert_S wrote:What a proper troll will do is to present a point of view in a tone that is calculated to elicit an emotional response from another user, causing them to get angry and make a personal attack, insults, or some other breech the rules and possibly get a warning or suspension.

If I could present my ideas in a friendly way that makes them palatable to someone who disagrees with me and causing them to reevaluate their own position, but instead choose to be an abrasive prick; then I'm fucking trolling.
That is a beautiful description of trolling ... I may frame it! Thank you!

And now, back to our regular programming...

NineOneFour

Post by NineOneFour » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
Ghatanothoa wrote:
NineOneFour wrote: Yes.
They get banned if they aren't
Well, that's a lie.
Proof?

Go for it.
Got a list of everybody banned?
If you want.
And can you tell me that the reason they were banned wasn't at least partially because they didn't like the moderation style? And said so? The staff over there is a bit power-mad IMNSHO.
No, people are banned for violating the forum user's agreement on multiple occasions. Or because they are obvious trolls.

Your opinion is that of a minority. You want to get your panties in a knot over what a bunch of other people do at a forum you don't post at, enjoy. May I suggest that if you choose this course, that bitching and whining about Stormfront is probably preferable than bitching and whining about the comparitively benign Ratskep.

Oh, and the original claim I note has not been backed up. Can you point to ONE person banned due to them not liking the moderation style at Ratskep?

If not, then I guess your argument is shit.

NineOneFour

Post by NineOneFour » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:05 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:
NineOneFour wrote:
Gawdzilla wrote:

Silly post was silly.
Faux Outrage by Gawdzilla was Faux.