Announcement about RDF

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Stephen

Re: Announcement about RDF

Post by Stephen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:49 pm

MedGen wrote:I feel a little lost at the moment. I don't really know what to think or feel. I'm angry and sad, but I think that's a given really. I feel incredibly gutted for the mods and the all of the work and dedication they put into the forum.

I don't want to believe that Richard okayed Josh's actions, I don't want to lose all respect for the man that wrote a truly life changing book (not TGD btw). But there is a side of me that thinks back to previous encounters with Dawkins on the forum, and I can't help feel a certain uneasiness about this whole situation.

:dono:
What are you referring to, "previous encounters with Dawkins"? What happened?

I find it hard to imagine how any of us could lose "all respect" for RD over this, no matter the degree of his involvement (within reason).
Is it so unsafe when you are
Insecure in the space where you are?

ronmcd

Post by ronmcd » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:51 pm

Shocked and disappointed. What a way to destroy your own site - piss of the very people who made it great. Sad.

I still hold out some hope RD knows nothing about it ..... but unlikely I suppose.

hackenslash
Fundie Baiter...errr. Fun Debater
About me: I've got a little black book with my poems in...

Post by hackenslash » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:51 pm

ozewiezeloose wrote:
HughMcB wrote:
Stephen wrote:Greetings all, I was Amethyst Deceiver over at RDF. Hadn't been there long but I was quite enjoying it. This was rather a shock.

Oh well, here I am. :td:
Good to see you again... and sign of MacGuffin?

Who's going to create multiple pointless threads now? :(
LionIRC is here, I've been told. We're still waiting for Memories, Dunsapy and Swiatlo!
Well, three Dunsapys have already been awarded here, all for Josh. :tup:
Dogma is the death of the intellect

the pigeon

Post by the pigeon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:51 pm

So I woke up this morning, and it's all still true! :(

Nice to see so many old faces here.

Not that it really matters, since I wasn't exactly a forum fixture, but I dropped the "small grey" and am just the pigeon now.

Like many, I joined the facebook group.

Cunt
Lumpy Vagina Bloodfart

Post by Cunt » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:52 pm

MedGen wrote:I don't want to believe that Richard okayed Josh's actions, I don't want to lose all respect for the man...
I personally feel it would be disrespectful to RD to assume this is anything other than his actions. At least until there is reason to think otherwise. He is in charge of the forum, he is responsible. Josh is just an employee carrying out orders.

He is still someone I wouldn't hire to tie my shoes, though.
Shit, Piss, Cock, Cunt, Motherfucker, Cocksucker and Tits.
-various artists

Joe wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:22 pm
he doesn't communicate

The 'Walsh Question' 'What Is A Woman?' I'll put an answer here when someone posts one that is clear and comprehensible, by apostates to the Faith.

Update: I've been offered one!
rainbow wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:23 pm
It is actually quite easy. A woman has at least one X chromosome.
Strong ideas don't require censorship to survive. Weak ideas cannot survive without it.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:52 pm

HughMcB wrote:
Stephen wrote:Greetings all, I was Amethyst Deceiver over at RDF. Hadn't been there long but I was quite enjoying it. This was rather a shock.

:hehe: Poor guy. He seems like a good kid, but he made more than a few references to what I imagined as his rather hermetic existence. I think he just needs to get out of the house and do some drugs, get drunk or something. He's smart for his age, definitely . . .
Is it so unsafe when you are
Insecure in the space where you are?

ozewiezeloose
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by ozewiezeloose » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:53 pm

hackenslash wrote:
ozewiezeloose wrote:
HughMcB wrote:

LionIRC is here, I've been told. We're still waiting for Memories, Dunsapy and Swiatlo!
Well, three Dunsapys have already been awarded here, all for Josh. :tup:
Come on, Hack! Dunsapys don't even begin to do him justice!

Darkchilde
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by Darkchilde » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:53 pm

ozewiezeloose wrote:
HughMcB wrote:

And where is Robert Byers? :funny: :funny: [Oh, it was so sweet to ban him. ]
Rant and obituary of the RD.net forum: http://www.bit.ly/cJRf4n
Twitter account: ladyjedi found here: http://twitter.com/ladyjedi

Snippets and other stories from the net

PS. Looking for a blogger template: 3 columns, dark, something on the gothic vampire side, not very intricate but elegant. If anyone knows of a template like the above PM me. Thanks.

MedGen
Primordial Booze
About me: Bad breath: check
Slightly camp: check
Ghastly wife: check

Must be British.

Post by MedGen » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:54 pm

natselrox wrote:
MedGen wrote:I feel a little lost at the moment. I don't really know what to think or feel. I'm angry and sad, but I think that's a given really. I feel incredibly gutted for the mods and the all of the work and dedication they put into the forum.

I don't want to believe that Richard okayed Josh's actions, I don't want to lose all respect for the man that wrote a truly life changing book (not TGD btw). But there is a side of me that thinks back to previous encounters with Dawkins on the forum, and I can't help feel a certain uneasiness about this whole situation.

:dono:
This felt strange! You said what I've been trying to say all this time. Exact, word-to-word! And I guess we are talking about the same book here as well!
:tup:
Stephen wrote:What are you referring to, "previous encounters with Dawkins"? What happened?

I find it hard to imagine how any of us could lose "all respect" for RD over this, no matter the degree of his involvement (within reason).
The one that comes instantly to mind was one of RD's references to the fact that anyone who remains a creationist is simply thick and they shouldn't be at university. At the time I worked alongside a muslim lady, one of the most intelligent people I know (this is in a science department at a northern university btw) and stated that his comment was a gross generalization. He was vehement that a creationist would never be able to make it onto a science course as they are all to thick to make it, but clearly he hasn't a fucking clue about how the real world as this is contrary to my own experiences and those of others, including the admission of many muslim students into medical school (not the ones that kick up a fuss but ones that just don't understand evolution because of their religious indoctrination). He [RD] just seemed more than a little detached from the real world.
The nature of reality is not subject to the decrees of human institutions

If having an identity is to have an essence, I do not have an identity. My sense of self it too varied and contextual - Kenneth Strike

Kristie
Elastigirl
About me: From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere!

Post by Kristie » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:54 pm

HughMcB wrote:

There are many pointless threads created here daily! And they're all welcome! :biggrin:
We danced.

laklak
About me: My preferred pronoun is "Massah"

Post by laklak » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Sorry Van/Loon, blame the eyesight and the tiny avatar.

Where should we start OFs Part 14 (Interrupted)?
Yeah well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Simon_Gardner

Post by Simon_Gardner » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:56 pm

Fallible wrote:I just picked up a PM from Nora on RD.net, saying that she is on Facebook. She seemed unaware of this site, so I sent her the address. Hopefully she'll be along in a bit. Pen is here, as is durro.
Nora knows about it fine and we have been discussing it via email since last night [GMT]. She’s upset.
You cannot hope / to bribe or twist / (thank God!) the / British journalist.
But, seeing what / the man will do / unbribed, there’s / no occasion to.

SpeedOfSound

Post by SpeedOfSound » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 pm

Peter Harrison wrote:
klr wrote:
Peter Harrison wrote:Personally, I'm convinced that Dawkins knows everything about the forum closing and the plans for the new discussion system, but nothing about the way he two tossers went about things. I'm sure there's a reason Josh and Andrew feel the need to hide their tracks, cut communication links, and even tell staff to behave and not to contact the Prof.

So unprofessional. Not people person of the year anyway. Josh sucks more than a Turkish hooker on speed. He's going to wish I didn't have his personal email address.
I wish you luck, but my own experience is that he just ignores anything that doesn't suit him. :ddpan:
I've got quite a collection of ignored emails that I've sent to him ranging from "So how come it's easy to fix search and you aren't doing it?" to "Hellooooooooooooooo?"
I knew something weird was up with that search thing. Getting more server power these days is something your average pizza flipper can afford. They seemed strangely quiet about any suggestions that were made to fix the damned server and database. I think they had a plan.

What exactly could have irritated them about our posts?
Favorite quote:
lifegazer says "Now, the only way to proceed to claim that brains create experience, is to believe that real brains exist (we certainly cannot study them). And if a scientist does this, he transcends the barriers of both science and metaphysics."

the pigeon

Post by the pigeon » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:00 pm

SpeedOfSound wrote:
What exactly could have irritated them about our posts?

That's what I don't understand: what's so annoying about page after page of rational discussion?

Scot Dutchy
About me: Dijkbeschermer

Post by Scot Dutchy » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:01 pm

GreyBeardLoon wrote:Ah, ....Lak VanYoungman happens to be Grey Beard Loon. Have been for 20 years.
Hi van :hugs:

Nice seeing you here. Are there many other old farts around. Lak and starr are here but no sign of Fraser, Nora, DD, Pen and a few others.
We will have start a thread again.
"Wat is het een gezellig boel hier".