Time for some restraint?

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Time for some restraint?

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:31 pm

I'm a Vietnam War veteran. In that perspective this current issue is unfortunate, but not worth killing anybody over.
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

Ilovelucy

Post by Ilovelucy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:35 pm

I'm enjoying the noise, even the crappy journalism. Maybe it's the request we got in the mod centre, asking us not to start a petition, inflame the forum or try and contact Richard. Bit fuckin' bigger than a petition now, eh?

As virphen says, it's about getting the information out there. It wil mean less in a month's time, sure. But it still means a hell of a lot right now.
Forums are interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off.

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:45 pm

Gawdzilla wrote:I'm a Vietnam War veteran. In that perspective this current issue is unfortunate, but not worth killing anybody over.
Unless you are into that sort of thing of course. :read:
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

ED209

Post by ED209 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:58 pm

The truth, 'our side', whatever you want to call it, actually shows Dawkins' in a better light than the way the story has been reported, IMO.

Papers are reporting, in a nutshell, that atheists have now turned on Dawkins' en masse because he asked them to stop calling him a cunt when he planned to assert more control over his website. They are portraying him as a deeply unpopular, largely deserted and even discredited figure. This is not the case.

The truth is that Dawkin's - a 70-year-old Oxford don - has somewhat of an over-reliance on and seemingly absolute trust in his IT staff, that he doesn't understand forums much, that he is surprisingly bad at PR and doesn't seem to have dedicated PR staff, and that he's willing to go off half-cocked when he doesn't know the facts but is assured by his trusted staff that he does. I.e. he's human. I don't think any of these failings should affect anyone's opinion of him much, unless they previously held him to be perfect and infallible.

The wholesale destruction of posts, deceit and ham-fisted damage limitation is solely the action of his staff, who Dawkins' ill-advisedly and disastrously gave carte blanche to, but what else might he reasonably be expected to have done, looking at it from his perspective and background? Dawkins employed two incompetent staff, he continues to trust them completely, he issued an ill-advised statement in his name while unwittingly ignorant of the facts, and if he is continuing to ignore the former mods then he is making it clear that he isn't interested in learning the background to why his forum imploded. That's the extent of his culpability. I don't think any of that is particularly damning or discrediting to him.

(dons flameproof suit. Yes, those failings are real and bad but he isn't the one intentionally deleting the users, destroying the logs etc over a sustained period of time out of petty and total unprofessional empire-building.)

TheoJones

Post by TheoJones » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:09 pm

This is the thing,

all it takes is, what, a couple of clicks and you can see the whole story - what was posted on RDF, Peter's blog post and that's about it, right there.

Josh was/is a control freak... but without a friend/contact like that, Richard would probably not have started a forum in the first place.

he got it going, other people made it better, then it did what every internet forum in history does - it got hostile to newcomers, in-jokey and attracted a large selection of crazy cat people...

Dawkins has decided to cut it loose, and Josh has screwed that process up horribly.

A lot of people's efforts of time have been wasted, and that's bad. it's been handled badly, and that's worse...

but at the end of the day? It's not the end of the world, not even close... outside of the forum users... nobody cares about who did what to who.

The sooner people move on, the better it is for everybody, and the less horrible name calling and abuse there is, the easier it is for everybody to move on.

Heresiarch
About me: Formerly known as Heresiarch.

Post by Heresiarch » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:12 pm

TheoJones wrote:but at the end of the day? It's not the end of the world, not even close... outside of the forum users... nobody cares about who did what to who.

The sooner people move on, the better it is for everybody, and the less horrible name calling and abuse there is, the easier it is for everybody to move on.
Couldn't agree more.

Oh, applying some restraints is almost always a good idea, but that's a subject for another sub-forum.
The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that
believe in it. Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that
believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't.
-- Honest Book of Truth; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1

leo-rcc
Robo-Warrior
About me: Combat robot builder

Post by leo-rcc » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:13 pm

TheoJones wrote:The sooner people move on, the better it is for everybody, and the less horrible name calling and abuse there is, the easier it is for everybody to move on.
Judging by the posts around here recently that whole matter was dying down anyway. The best way to achieve that is to let it go and just not rehash the whole event again and again. We get your point, it is well made (better than some other person has done around here).
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
My combat robot site: http://www.team-rcc.org
My other favorite atheist forum: http://www.atheistforums.org

Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you

Ilovelucy

Post by Ilovelucy » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:17 pm

I'm glad others have been able to get over it and move on, I'm not trying to drag them back in. But I made a big investment in that place and I'm still fuming, and no amount of level headed exortations to calm down are going to dampen that furnace until it burns out in its own time.
Forums are interesting and if you don't agree, you can fuck off.

klr
(%gibber(who=klr, what=Leprageek);)
About me: The money was just resting in my account.

Post by klr » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:19 pm

TheoJones wrote:This is the thing,

all it takes is, what, a couple of clicks and you can see the whole story - what was posted on RDF, Peter's blog post and that's about it, right there.

Josh was/is a control freak... but without a friend/contact like that, Richard would probably not have started a forum in the first place.

he got it going, other people made it better, then it did what every internet forum in history does - it got hostile to newcomers, in-jokey and attracted a large selection of crazy cat people...
The forum became the success that it was with little or no direct help from Josh. He had next to nothing to do with the day-to-day running of same, or even in setting strategy or policy.
TheoJones wrote: Dawkins has decided to cut it loose, and Josh has screwed that process up horribly.

A lot of people's efforts of time have been wasted, and that's bad. it's been handled badly, and that's worse...

but at the end of the day? It's not the end of the world, not even close... outside of the forum users... nobody cares about who did what to who.

I would largely agree, but you know what: It would probably have died down a lot sooner if RD himself had not thrown so much pyrotechnics on the fire ...
God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion. - Superintendent Chalmers

It's not up to us to choose which laws we want to obey. If it were, I'd kill everyone who looked at me cock-eyed! - Rex Banner

The Bluebird of Happiness long absent from his life, Ned is visited by the Chicken of Depression. - Gary Larson

:mob: :comp: :mob:

maiforpeace
Account Suspended at Member's Request

Post by maiforpeace » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:40 pm

Ilovelucy wrote:I'm glad others have been able to get over it and move on, I'm not trying to drag them back in. But I made a big investment in that place and I'm still fuming, and no amount of level headed exortations to calm down are going to dampen that furnace until it burns out in its own time.
+1

Not only that but admonitions to calm down can exacerbate, rather than diffuse people's feelings of frustration and anger.

What I think many people don't understand is that there is a much deeper level of emotional investment in work that is done on a volunteer basis. So, when you are treated like crap it's even more hurtful than for a paid job, and that's already pretty bad.
Atheists have always argued that this world is all that we have, and that our duty is to one another to make the very most and best of it. ~Christopher Hitchens~
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3534/379 ... 3be9_o.jpg[/imgc]