Refugees: A request

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449
HughMcB
Location: Toronto, Canada. . . . . . . . . . . . . (natural habitat: Ireland)

Re: Refugees: A request

Post by HughMcB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:27 am

starr wrote:Why thank you. :FIO: :hugs:

I just turned 38 :whisper:
38, eh?

:naughty:

No more innuendos, I swear. :mrgreen:
Timonenfail wrote:We are all very excited about the new changes.
Quote-mine Dawkins wrote:If I ever had any doubts that RD.net needs to change, and rid itself of this particular aspect of Internet culture, they are dispelled by this episode.

virphen
About me: "that fairy-fingering ass-raping space lizard"

One year own my home planet = 3 on earth.

Post by virphen » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:31 am

HughMcB wrote:
starr wrote:Why thank you. :FIO: :hugs:

I just turned 38 :whisper:
38, eh?

:naughty:

No more innuendos, I swear. :mrgreen:
Don't worry, I'll send her more than enough for both of us :naughty: .

Least I can do for the lovely fairy who built a statue of me.
Last edited by virphen on Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

goodboyCerberus
About me: They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Post by goodboyCerberus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:32 am

hackenslash wrote:Our presence here has already brought unwelcome scrutiny, and indeed some of the comments made here have weakened our position. It is a given that people want to vent their frustration, and it is understandable. However, given that the core principle that most of us have fought for in our contributions is rationality, I ask that we now work to reassert the same degree of rationality here...
Tell that to Cali. Cheers to the message, jeers to the ad hominems.
Charity Navigator - "Find a charity you can trust."

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:33 am

Naturally, I can't speak for anyone but myself, but

1. I hope all the recent newcomers don't think that they're in any way unwelcome to stay here as long as they like. I, for one, haven't had this much fun since the hogs ate grandmaw. :FBM:

2. With the increase in membership, there is naturally an increase in interests and ideas. I would expect the forum to expand and reorganize to serve those changes in a fairly short time.

3. The sudden attention is in no way "unwelcome", even considering that some of it is 'negative' as seen from a certain perspective.

4. Something else could go here, if I could remember it. :think:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

HughMcB

Post by HughMcB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:35 am

FBM,

I think this might be the start of a beautiful friendship! :tup:
Quote-mine Dawkins wrote:If I ever had any doubts that RD.net needs to change, and rid itself of this particular aspect of Internet culture, they are dispelled by this episode.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:37 am

HughMcB wrote:FBM,

8-)

Whatever is decided upon, please hang out here as much as you can, 'k? :biggrin:
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

goodboyCerberus
About me: They mostly come at night. Mostly.

Post by goodboyCerberus » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:41 am

FBM wrote:

8-)

Whatever is decided upon, please hang out here as much as you can, 'k? :biggrin:
I don't pretend to speak for more active ex-contributors to RDF (just an ex-lurker, here), but thank you. Your words mean a lot.
Charity Navigator - "Find a charity you can trust."

fuck you & fuck your god
About me: aka mechtheist
Off my meds again

Post by fuck you & fuck your god » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:45 am

Can't say it enough, sure made things easier, bearable, for a lot of us having you guys so welcoming.
Image Image Image
Is life not a hundred times too short for us to stifle ourselves--Nietzsche

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:50 am

goodboyCerberus wrote:I don't pretend to speak for more active ex-contributors to RDF (just an ex-lurker, here), but thank you. Your words mean a lot.
:td: Those were sincere words. Really. Hang out for as long as you want, settle in a stay, come and go at will, whatever. For the past year or so, I mostly lurked at RDF. Over here, I felt I could let my hair down without having to re-think every word 5 times. There's mostly a lot of fun, but there are serious discussions, too. Even in the serious discussions, we strongly emphasize agreeing to disagree, if an impasse is reached. IOW, the main rule is "play nice". Moderation isn't heavy-handed. To the contrary, it's reluctant. Nobody tries to fix things that aren't broken, and 'punishment' is a last, rare, grudging resort.

Anyway, :cheers:
fuck you & fuck your god wrote:Can't say it enough, sure made things easier, bearable, for a lot of us having you guys so welcoming.
:paco:

kiore

Post by kiore » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:02 am

Thanks Hack, I agree, people need to vent but we also need to show some respect, this seems to already be happening.
To all those thinking of setting up a breakaway pseudo RDnet, think about it some more. It may all seem a very good idea but it has some down sides and continued dilution of the old community is probably not what you are really seeking.
Perhaps moving to other established communities would actually meet your needs better, unless of course the Foundation agrees to sell or transfer the old content instead of destroying it, in which case some kind of resurection might be possible. Bridges may have been destroyed but lets not burn the ones still standing.
Personally I am starting to feel that I am nolonger a refugee here, but just a nOObie ex lurker.
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/ ... e&t=182116[/imgc]
Folding with:

Phenom II 955 2x GTX 560 ti.

HughMcB

Post by HughMcB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:03 am

FBM wrote:

8-)

Ok, but only if you promise to argue with me regularly! :biggrin:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:04 am

HughMcB wrote:
FBM wrote:

8-)

Ok, but only if you promise to argue with me regularly! :biggrin:
Bugger off!

How's that? hee hee...

HughMcB

Post by HughMcB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:06 am

kiore wrote:Personally I am starting to feel that I am nolonger a refugee here, but just a nOObie ex lurker.
Yeah, we're all n00bs again... :toot:

Lets CHEESE! :cheese:

HughMcB

Post by HughMcB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:06 am

FBM wrote:Bugger off!

How's that? hee hee...
Thats better... :pissed:

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.

Post by FBM » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:09 am

HughMcB wrote:
FBM wrote:Bugger off!

How's that? hee hee...
Thats better... :pissed:
:mrgreen:

Actually, my personality is more like something between a :ddpan: and a :? with a dash of :dono: .