Re: Dawkins Censorship (3 New Articles 26.02.10)

A forum to talk about other sites and things you've found in the jungle that is the internet.

Please take a moment to read the rationalia guidelines: http://rationalia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3449

Animavore
Nasty Hombre

Post by Animavore » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:28 pm

Barely a fact straight between them.

Oh dear.
Libertarianism: The belief that out of all the terrible things governments can do, helping people is the absolute worst.

RoaringAtheist

Post by RoaringAtheist » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:30 pm

The Techeye one particularly is just plain annoying - the others are just aping what's already been said.

Strontium Dog
About me: Navy Seals are not seals

Post by Strontium Dog » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:35 pm

The Telegraph one doesn't even spell "atheists" right in the headline!

This is the standard of journalism nowadays - thoroughly woeful.
100% verifiable facts or your money back. Anti-fascist. Enemy of woo - theistic or otherwise. Cloth is not an antiviral. Imagination and fantasy is no substitute for tangible reality. Wishing doesn't make it real.

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear" - George Orwell

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Barry Goldwater

PsychoSerenity
"I" Self-Perceive Recursively

Post by PsychoSerenity » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:37 pm

I can't believe how lazy these journalists are! They haven't even tried to get the full story. :read: :tdown:
[Disclaimer - if this is comes across like I think I know what I'm talking about, I want to make it clear that I don't. I'm just trying to get my thoughts down]

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:43 pm

Why would they? People calling Dawkins names sells more papers. :coffee:
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Sisifo

Post by Sisifo » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:54 pm

RoaringAtheist wrote:The Techeye one particularly is just plain annoying - the others are just aping what's already been said.
Why? I think it is a good in-a-couple-of-paragraphs summary of events.

RoaringAtheist

Post by RoaringAtheist » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:04 pm

Sisifo wrote:
RoaringAtheist wrote:The Techeye one particularly is just plain annoying - the others are just aping what's already been said.
Why? I think it is a good in-a-couple-of-paragraphs summary of events.
Some of their wording (besides the fact that the story is incorrect as presented there, just like all the others.) :
Fundamentalist atheist
< Sigh
However, the announcement created such an explosion of ire that the planned 30-day switch-over period had to be scrapped and the discussion forum locked down immediately.
< This is incorrect; the messages supposedly used as reason for shutting it down completely did not appear until hours later and on an entirely different forum.
Some members have moaned that their their profiles have been wiped out and others have lost access to files and messages that they uploaded onto the website.
< over 30.000 posts were removed, including moderators' and a lot of great content, up there with the best on RDF. Way to trivialize bookburnings.
He will continue his purge his website of this “vicious element”. If only there were a similar system of autocratic control on humanity which could make them behave in a way that Dawkin's likes. What ever happened to the Catholic Church?
< :rolleyes:

GenesForLife
Bertie Wooster

Post by GenesForLife » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:12 pm

My response to the media would be, shall we say, unprintable at best...

lordpasternack
Divine Knob Twiddler
About me: I have remarkable elbows.

Post by lordpasternack » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:24 pm

Posted to Torygraph:
Let's set one part of the record straight - Richard's announcement on his forum is not a reliable source of an accurate version of events. He was not there. He turned up after everything had happened, with no information as to what happened except for the site admin Josh Timonen's version of events, and a cursory browse of another forum, which in his ignorance of events, he totally misunderstood and misrepresented.

He doesn't even to my knowledge have any actual evidence that what he says is correct - that the INITIAL discontent was intolerably vitriolic - since I believe Josh deleted all the content, rather than keeping a private copy for posterity. And how convenient for Josh.

It is this site admin, Josh, with whom many forum users are disgusted and in some cases outraged. NOT RICHARD. Yes, some of us are offended by the actual website changes - but speaking for myself and numerous others - we are far, far more outraged by Josh Timonen's conduct during the events that transpired - including unreasonably stamping on what was simple frank criticism, and putting the forum into read-only mode.

There are a number of other more slimey offences committed either by Josh or a colleague of his, and he deliberately deleted some admin logs in a rather calculated attempt to cover up the actions he'd taken.

It's my understanding that some people are collecting or have collected substantial evidence indicative of Josh's mendacity and calculated exploitation of the trust he knows Richard places in him - and this will all come out in the wash eventually. And that will be a relief.
Then they for sudden joy did weep,
And I for sorrow sung,
That such a king should play bo-peep,
And go the fools among.
Prithee, nuncle, keep a schoolmaster that can teach
thy fool to lie: I would fain learn to lie.

Rum
Absent Minded Processor

Post by Rum » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:28 pm

Apparently Forum members were also 'fans' of his. :ddpan:

Heresiarch
About me: Formerly known as Heresiarch.

Post by Heresiarch » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:26 pm

Strontium Dog wrote:The Telegraph one doesn't even spell "atheists" right in the headline!
They're trying to capture customers from The Gaurdian.
The Hell Law says that Hell is reserved exclusively for them that
believe in it. Further, the lowest Rung in Hell is reserved for them that
believe in it on the supposition that they'll go there if they don't.
-- Honest Book of Truth; The Gospel According to Fred, 3:1

ED209

Post by ED209 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Psychoserenity wrote:I can't believe how lazy these journalists are! They haven't even tried to get the full story. :read: :tdown:
Not only that, but the level of inaccuracies and downright falsehood (Dawkins' was not the target of any vitriol, Dawkin's did not claim to be the target and has himself been misquoted, the vitriol was not on his forum which by that time had been shut down, the vitriol was not in relation to the proposed changes but to the arbitrary wholesale destruction of posts etc) in these professional articles is amazing. This isn't Watergate, they don't need groundbreaking investigative journalism - they only have to look on the internet where all the info (including the original quote-mined posts) is freely accessible and even summarised, documented and packaged for the likes of them on Peter's excellent blog and other places. If journalists of the so-called quality press can't even get right a story that doesn't require them to do anything more onerous than looking on the internet, what the fuck have we come to.

But in a way, looking at the quality of some of the comments from their readers this is hardly surprising. People are actually using the 'slack-jawed' quote to argue (in their mind, rigorously argue) in favour of Dawkins' characterisation of thousands of users, I'd have thought that however thick a person is they would be able to see the fallacy of attributing a single quote to thousands of people - come on, Torygraph reader, surely even you can see that they can't all have said that. The difference between the posts from ex-RDFers and general public is like night and day, not in terms of familiarity with the background to all this but in terms of being able to draw logical conclusions from simple premises. These people really need to sharpen their reasoning skills, obviously the main-article-and-comments format that these papers use does nothing to foster clear thinking, perhaps a spell on the RDF forum would have been of great help to them :lol:

Anyway, 'Employee of Richard Dawkins insulted somewhere on internet' isn't much of a story however you look at it. 'Employee of Richard Dawkins deletes thousands of examples of solid scientific writing out of spite, then deletes logs and disrupts members' backup processes with Dawkins' public support' is rather more interesting and has the benefit of being true. I knew that 90% of what we read in the papers is bullshit, but this episode has really brought home to me the implications of just what that means. It means that 90% of what we read in the papers is, quite literally, bullshit :?