Since we've got Norse folk here...

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Since we've got Norse folk here...

Post by Svartalf » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:47 pm

Just a little stupid question.

I'm used to modern Icelandic pronouncing everything spelled "LL" like it was "TL" (Egill SkaTLgimsson, ThingveTLir, VatnaJöküTL... etc)...

Do other Norse languages, Swedish, Danish, NYnorsk etc have the same mannerism? I'm always troubled when I see that doulble L spelling in Sc andinavian languages because I'm never sure how to pronounce it.
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug

PC stands for "Patronizing Cocksucker" Randy Ping

Gawdzilla Sama
Stabsobermaschinist
About me: My posts are related to the thread in the same way Gliese 651b is related to your mother's underwear drawer.
Location: Sitting next to Ayaan in Domus Draconis, and communicating via PMs.

Re: Since we've got Norse folk here...

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Svartalf wrote:Just a little stupid question.

I'm used to modern Icelandic pronouncing everything spelled "LL" like it was "TL" (Egill SkaTLgimsson, ThingveTLir, VatnaJöküTL... etc)...

Do other Norse languages, Swedish, Danish, NYnorsk etc have the same mannerism? I'm always troubled when I see that doulble L spelling in Sc andinavian languages because I'm never sure how to pronounce it.
I don't think that's Normal. :whistle:
Ein Ubootsoldat wrote:“Ich melde mich ab. Grüssen Sie bitte meine Kameraden.”

normal
!
!
About me: meh

Post by normal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:29 pm

Do they really pronounce it TL on Iceland? I was sure it was pronounced just the same as in English.

Well, in Scandinavia LL is pronounced LL like in taller, caller, tiller. Only in a more Scandinavian way than English =P

I'll have to make a sound recording to explain this :?
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   -Douglas Adams

AshtonBlack
Tech Monkey
Tech Monkey

Post by AshtonBlack » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:34 pm

Normal wrote:Do they really pronounce it TL on Iceland? I was sure it was pronounced just the same as in English.

Well, in Scandinavia LL is pronounced LL like in taller, caller, tiller. Only in a more Scandinavian way than English =P

Then do it, damn polyglot! :lay:

10 Fuck Off
20 GOTO 10
Ashton Black wrote:"Dogma is the enemy, not religion, per se. Rationality, genuine empathy and intellectual integrity are anathema to dogma."

normal
!
!
About me: meh

Post by normal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:36 pm

AshtonBlack wrote:
Normal wrote:Do they really pronounce it TL on Iceland? I was sure it was pronounced just the same as in English.

Then do it, damn polyglot! :lay:
But I'm at work with no microphone, you damn monolingual individual!
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                   -Douglas Adams

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:23 pm

My professor of Norse studies in college was quite definite on it... took me some time to get the mannerism too, and he applied it quite systematically when using Icelandic, which was his prime specialty (though I'm sure he also had excellent Bokmal and Swedish) .

I never got to asking him when and why the shift happened (as I left the university earlier than I had counted on), but I'm definite on it, and there's no way a Frenchman or ordinary Germanist would have invented such a weird mannerism on his own.

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:48 pm

It isn't systematic. That would be far too easy for Icelandic. The pronunciation of LL depends on the word. For instance the LL in sæll is the hard LL you have described whereas the LL in Halli is softer and more like a HL sound. Are there rules as to when to use which? Not a fucking chance. Utter sod of a language :lay:
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Ironclad
I feel nekkid.
About me: Hadean.

Post by Ironclad » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Down here on the Devon - Cornwall border words with (and especially ending in) 'LL' are sounded as 'W'.
For example; Football is largely pronounced Foot-bow; Cornwall is pronounced Corn-woe; Goldfish bowl (hahahahahahahaaaa) is pronounced Goad-fish-bow :hehe:

Accents are one thing but to my refined ears this is a speech-impediment. Rude huh..

Sorry Cornwoe :flowers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsgoXvnStY

Nidor meus caseus vos matris  

Azathoth
blind idiot god
blind idiot god

Post by Azathoth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:24 pm

That isn't a speech impediment that's just slurring from all the scrumpy
Outside the ordered universe is that amorphous blight of nethermost confusion which blasphemes and bubbles at the center of all infinity—the boundless daemon sultan Azathoth, whose name no lips dare speak aloud, and who gnaws hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Code: Select all

// Replaces with spaces the braces in cases where braces in places cause stasis 
   $str = str_replace(array("\{","\}")," ",$str);

Ironclad
I feel nekkid.
About me: Hadean.

Post by Ironclad » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:04 pm

Bless them Cone-ish :drunk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjsgoXvnStY

Nidor meus caseus vos matris  

Svartalf
Offensive Grail Keeper

Post by Svartalf » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Ironclad wrote:Down here on the Devon - Cornwall border words with (and especially ending in) 'LL' are sounded as 'W'.
For example; Football is largely pronounced Foot-bow; Cornwall is pronounced Corn-woe; Goldfish bowl (hahahahahahahaaaa) is pronounced Goad-fish-bow :hehe:

Accents are one thing but to my refined ears this is a speech-impediment. Rude huh..

good thing you're not on the Welsh side... their version of LL is even weirder.
And I used to have good Cornish friends, so please don't dump on them... or I'll call you a devonian fossil Archeichtys and other nice names too ;)

Deep Sea Isopod
Bathynomus giganteus

Post by Deep Sea Isopod » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Ghatanothoa wrote:That isn't a speech impediment that's just slurring from all the scrumpy
They downt tork propper, do um. :hehe:
I run with scissors. It makes me feel dangerous Image

Pappa
Non-Practicing Anarchist
Non-Practicing Anarchist
About me: I am sacrificing a turnip as I type.

Post by Pappa » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:14 pm

Svartalf wrote:
Ironclad wrote:Down here on the Devon - Cornwall border words with (and especially ending in) 'LL' are sounded as 'W'.

good thing you're not on the Welsh side... their version of LL is even weirder.
And I used to have good Cornish friends, so please don't dump on them... or I'll call you a devonian fossil Archeichtys and other nice names too ;)
Ll is a different letter in Welsh (specifically a digraph), it juts happens to use the symbol used in English for L. Welsh has 8 digraphs, Ch, Dd, Ff, Ll, Ng, Ph, Rh, Th.
For information on ways to help support Rationalia financially, see our funding page.

When the aliens do come, everything we once thought was cool will then make us ashamed.

FBM
Ratz' first Gritizen.
About me: Skeptic. "Because it does not contend
It is therefore beyond reproach"

Post by FBM » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:20 pm

I don't know what the hell y'all are talking about but I find it fascinating, nonetheless. Where I grew up, 'y'all' (rhymes with 'ball') is pronounced 'y'aw' (rhymes with 'saw', except in BrE, but their pronunciations are fucked up in the first place).
"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it." ~ H. L. Mencken

"We ain't a sharp species. We kill each other over arguments about what happens when you die, then fail to see the fucking irony in that."

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism while the wolf remains of a different opinion."

Berthold

Post by Berthold » Wed May 05, 2010 6:04 pm

Svartalf wrote:good thing you're not on the Welsh side... their version of LL is even weirder.
I once saw a jocular picture where a Welsh poet holds a recital in a lecture hall, and the person sitting in the middle of the front row holds up an umbrella.